Hyden - Norseman Road

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 23:29
ThreadID: 8519 Views:1868 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Information for those travelling across the Nullabor to the West or from Perth to the East & looking for a more direct route to Perth. I have just finished a trip up to Cape York & decided to take the newly re-aligned road from Norseman through to Hyden then up the Brookton Highway to Perth. This route saves quite a few kms & is a more direct route then going up through Coolgardie. I used to take the old track from Hyden to Norseman which was some 360km. & could be very rough in places. The new road now is only 297km & comes out right at Norseman instead of 23 odd kms north of Norseman. This new road although being gravel is in excellent condition for all vehicles.Have Wheels Will Travel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 12:21

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 12:21
I agree - this new bit of road is a lot better than the old route. We came back that way after the CSR in 2001. The previous time I was there in 1997, exploring the Coolgardie Woodlines, we had to get out in a hurry as it started to rain and the old road wasn't to flash when wet !
I imagine the wildflowers would be great between Norseman and Hyden if you managed to time your trip right ?
It is certainly a change to travelling down the Hwy with all the trucks etc.Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
AnswerID: 37292

Reply By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:57

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:57
Thanks Topcat your news is both good and timely as we are going east in 10 days and I was going to take the other route further south from Lake King.
This will shave heaps of ks off and knowing the road is in good condition is a big help.
Was there much traffic using this route??
AnswerID: 37807

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 18:39

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 18:39
Hi Peter, at time of travelling there was very little traffic & this was mid week. Only a couple of mining vehicles. Have a good trip. Cheers.Have Wheels Will Travel
FollowupID: 27439

Sponsored Links