Dual Batteries

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 852 Views:1906 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking at installing an OPTIMA Battery as the second battery to run a 12 volt Bushman frig. Have a new TI 4.8 Nissan Patrol and therefore no room under the bonnet - planning to build in the battery behind passenger seats incorporated in a built in storage system. Has anyone has any experience with these batteries. Would be pleased to have any advice. Many thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JohnS - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00
Jinki,
I have installed a Sonneschein immobilised gel battery in the rear of my Nissan Pathfinder to address the same need. The Optima is OK as well because you must use a battery safe for vehicle interior use (these two brands are). I used a Piranha 150S electronic isolator to provide charging from the alternator and isolate from the main battery. It works just fine. Piranha installers should be able to fit the isolator, run a heavy caple to the rear and connect to the second battery through a 50A Anderson connector (for easy disconnect). If you live in Victoria, you are welcome to contact me via ExploreOz and you can inspect my installation.

Also visit forums.overlander.com.au Been heaps of dual battery discussions there.

We are all green with envy over your new 4.8l Patrol.

JohnS
AnswerID: 2443

Follow Up By: Jinki - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00

JohnS many thanks for your info re the Optima battery. The Patrol drives beautifully and even like a dream towing our new 22 ft caravan. Thanks for your help regards Jinki
FollowupID: 904

Reply By: Steve campbell - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00

Had an Optima deep Cycle now for 9 months. Its on a Pirahna 150 setup. Has never let me down. I'll be putting an Optima cranking battery in when it gives up the ghost.

Steve
AnswerID: 2444

Follow Up By: Jinki - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Steve, just another confirmation that Optima is the way to go. regards Jinki
FollowupID: 905

Reply By: Jeremy - Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00
Optima batteries are a great battery !.......and even better are the sonishein (as per first answer-cant speel it !)
they are both a great battery for interior use and anywhere for that matter ! You pay for what you get !.......
they are both great deep cycle batteries that are great for running fridge's etc ! they also accept high charge that
modern vehicles (thats why deep cycle lead acid batteries tend to die ) and charge up and discharge well and
do not build up resistance !. Just make sure you use a voltage sensed battery management system !, piranha,
Rotronics are both good ! Delkor batteries are also a good choice but can buld up a resistance when flattened !
all the above batteries have a huge life span....up to 10 years and well over for the soneschien !
Good Luck !
AnswerID: 2465

Reply By: bart - Saturday, Mar 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 23, 2002 at 01:00
before you buy any of these old hack batteries listed above check out lifeline batteries at www.lifelinebatteries.com. optima batteries no good for fast charging, just check the site out for all info and data you'll need.
AnswerID: 2491

Sponsored Links