Info on Noccandra Hotel caravan facilities

Submitted: Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:04
ThreadID: 85212 Views:2638 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to hear from anyone with personal knowledge of the Noccundra hotel about its caravan facilities. Particularly are there power and showers etc?.

Hema maps show a caravan park symbol in the information panel for the hotel and the hotel's sign at the turn from the Bulloo Developmental Road (you can see a picture of it on Google Earth) lists "van sites" among services offered.

A search on EO brought up lots of information on roads but not much on the hotel. I know that there are camp sites on the river but it will be cold in July and a power point for the heater would be nice.

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:16

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:16
There were a couple of power heads behind the pub when we were there a few years ago. There are facilities for the pub one side of it and public facilities with showers the other.

The river bank is a much more inviting camping area. Fit a Webasto heater to your unit for warmth and camp at the river. It will be useful as there are other nice bush camping on the way to and from there. We have not used our heater much but the huge expense has been worth it (still have not used one tank full of diesel.)

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 449194

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 13:11

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 13:11
G'day Kevin, While I cant confirm power sites, there were no vans near the pub when we were there last winter, but plenty along the river. There are showers etc in a block next to pub. We didnt need heating in that area, but understand you Qld lot are a bit shivery..:))))...cheers...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 449199

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 14:09

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 14:09
Thanks PeterD and Oldbaz, that's good information.

I have a second reason for wanting power. I would like to leave the van there for a couple of days to drive to Innaminka and as it has a 240V freezer it is much more convenient if I can plug it in. The fridge is a 3 way and we have a Waeco that will run as a freezer but I am a bit nervous about leaving it parked beside a river operating on gas and battery. The van is not an off road unit.

The initial plan was to leave the van at Thargamindah but there are not many places as remote as Noccundra that have a sealed road running to them, even if it is single lane so it does look an attractive place to spend some time.

Anyway your information is helping us to make plans.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 449202

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 15:48

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 15:48
Hi Kevin

You would be best to contact the Hotel and see if they will allow you access to power while leaving you van unattended. If there are only limited powered sites, there would be the temptation for another caravanner to pull your power cord to use the outlet themselves if none are free (and forget to put it back when they leave).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 449209

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 16:11

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 16:11
Yeah, thanks Mate. I am gathering info and will call them when decisions are made. We've left the van before. Last year we left it for a few days at Wilpena Pound while we went to Arkaroola. Folk that arrived in the park the day that we left were so worried about no one returning to the van that night that they went to the office next morning to check that we were OK. Three days later they were still "standing guard" when we returned. There are some mongrels out there but, gee there are lot of terrific people too. Particularly once you have reached the west side of The Great Dividing Range.

Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 721545

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 16:52

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 16:52
Hi

Give Di at the pub a call 46554317 she will sort you out.
Pretty wet at present

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 721551

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 17:07

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 17:07
The more remote, the more helpful the travellers are. The dishonest people stay mainly in the cities and don't need to go far for ill gotten gains. At Arkaroola, we went on a long walk so we locked up, but i went back to the caravan for something as we started out. When we returned i discovered I'd forgotten to lock up again. No problems.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 721554

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 17:08

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 17:08
Correction - I meant to say at Wilpena Pound campground.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 721555

Reply By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 21:50

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 21:50
Good place for a beer, plenty of rum if it
is cold not much else matters.
AnswerID: 449249

Reply By: Kakadu Xplorer - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 23:10

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 23:10
Hi Kevin

4 years ago my 5 year old son and I stayed there for a night, this was a great place to stop after a long drive, it was about 38 degrees that day, the people there were great, I asked for a powered site as I had 2 full fridges and a fan for the camper, they had a few but close to the pub, this is not a van park.

These people were really accommodating they fed the young fella for free and I Had a feed later, then a few drinks with the manager to the wee hours.

The facilities were basic but for $15 for the power and $2 for a shower it was more than OK, the feed was great as well.

There is a mine camp at the pub and the guy's I spoke to were good people, the Manager caught up with me the next day on the Stzrelecki Track when I was changing a tyre, as it happened I was ok and all was good, but I got the impression he was more than happy to help no matter what.

Great place and good people.

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 449260

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 26, 2011 at 17:44

Saturday, Mar 26, 2011 at 17:44
Thanks Steve. That's just what I was looking for. The next power point down the Stzrelecki would have been a fair distance, wouldn't it?

Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 721683

Sponsored Links