Mounting Laptop in 80 series

Submitted: Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 13:05
ThreadID: 8526 Views:1909 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Good afternoon All
I require some information on how to mount a laptop in a 80 series cruiser for mapping & tracking. The unit is shock, water, and dust proof but weighs 5kg,too heavy to be sitting on your passengers lap. It would be greatly appreciated any ideas or any one in the know of how to mount it.
Revs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 13:34

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 13:34
Have a look at the unit I make and sell. I make them to order and you can have any customisation you like - [ View Image]- I make them for around $250. No drilling no mess can be removed in minutes etc etc.

I also know that Mobile Desk Solutions make a mount also. I have not seen theirs though. They are in business search - accessories (I think).Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 37299

Reply By: Dmitri - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 14:56

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 14:56
Just curios - how do people use laptops in the cars during the day ?
I've got one with an active matrix, but it's hard to see anything on the screen while the sun is shining.

Cheers,
Dmitri.
AnswerID: 37305

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:01

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 17:01
External 15" monitor. TFT. Clear as a bell even in bright sunshine.Bob
FollowupID: 27039

Reply By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 16:25

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 16:25
Revs.
another option http://www.mobiledesksolutions.com/ we have one fitted to the Jackaroo.
Works fine even over outback tracks. Not cheap though. Stand can be remove easily when not needed. Laptop can swivel to be used by navigator or driver. (By driver when stationary of course.)
As far as the screen being hard to view during the day. Correct. Windows in Jack are tinted which helps. We drap a light towel over the laptop if conditions are too bad. We do not monitor progress 100% of the time anyway.

RegardsThis 4WD stuff is addictive,
time consuming & expensive.
AnswerID: 37314

Reply By: JohnR - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 18:45

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 18:45
Revs, it is an interesting question as I think Dmetri is asking too. Where I am at the point of purchase of a GPS system am I better off spending a little more on a higher level GPS or to ensure connectivity of my laptop all or most of the time.

Looking at your system David, I guess you have trialled it under corrugation conditions for days and your laptops have survived. Looking at the pictures of yours again I think it probably is better for my application than the mobile desk as the link above for leg room restrictions, they are potentially difficult in a GU cab chassis for my 6'4" frame size.

I have been thinking of an arm coming from behind off the rear cab wall and getting support from a gas strut or similar that will allow a swivelling point for the computer and removing a lot of the shock that Revs asks of.

The highest level Magellan systems can take up the maps and provide the read out provided you can risk them being in view under the windscreen or get one to take an external antenna. Only the colour one to my understanding.

When I read the post of Willem several days ago using an aluminum camera case, there is definately an appeal, and one has to look at the potential loss of reliability under some conditions and getting back to Trucksters paper maps.

All interesting questions and decisions, and tend to support multidirectional rather than just one direction!

john
AnswerID: 37333

Reply By: Member - Eric- Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 22:59

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 22:59
you can make a braket , to sit the lap top to consol lid , you then just face it towords the passanger or driver , Fit a pop out tv in the dash , or 7 " screen on the dash . and both can monitor progress , the lap top stays closed and you only open it when you need to make changes in Programs ect , Great for movies also lol Venus Bay
AnswerID: 37373

Sponsored Links