Cape York & F-350

Submitted: Monday, Mar 28, 2011 at 17:30
ThreadID: 85270 Views:2494 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My Landcruiser's motor has just died, not sure if I'll be able to get it going in time to go to the Cape at start of May, would my F-350 4X4 be too big to tackle the OTL etc. I'll be towing my Aussie swag Camper as welll. This will depend on road conditions I know. We expect to get to Cairns on way up about end of May.

Thanks for any and all repllies,
Lloyd.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: timothy - Monday, Mar 28, 2011 at 19:55

Monday, Mar 28, 2011 at 19:55
We had a Holden (Chevy) Suburban in our convoy in 2009 and didn't have any major problems, the Suburban did the south section up to Twin Falls and bypassed Nolans Brook. The F350 is probably bigger than the suburban so you'll need to choose your lines carefully and you might get some nice pinstriping.
AnswerID: 449499

Reply By: Big Woody - Monday, Mar 28, 2011 at 21:57

Monday, Mar 28, 2011 at 21:57
Hi Lloyd,

I did the OTL in my Landcruiser last year. I am also an F-Series owner and have owned 8 x 4wd Effies and Bronco's over the years so I am well aware of their size.

I dont think you will have any problems at all in the F-350. The track is not particularly narrow but getting through is more just about wheel placement. Depending on your ground clearance there may be a couple of spots where your rear over hang and ramp-over angles might touch a bit but it is by no means an extremely difficult track. It is just a bit longer than most tracks that is all.

I have recently got my hands on an old '78 model LWB F100 and I am currently preparing it for a Cape Trip in late May just for a bit of fun.

I will look out for you on the road. You will certainly be the most comfortable travellers on the Cape.

Regards,
Brett
AnswerID: 449520

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:38

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:38
Dday Lloyd,

I think your real issue will be the overall combined length, getting the trailer around makes the tracks seem narrower. I have yet to come back without some scratching on the Patrol. We have done most tracks and it is impossible to suggest which ones will be your main concern. I have always approached these trips with the view that there will be some scratching which meant that I have been preparred to drive narrow tracks but by and large 90% wasn't a problem.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 449558

Reply By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 14:28

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 14:28
You will definately get pinstripes, but other than that you should be ok
AnswerID: 449580

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 20:45

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 20:45
I have done the cape several times & again last year in my patrol 6wheeler (7.5mtr in length) so your length will not be a issue. Gun shot (southern side) was not a issue

But I had a f350 & looking over the aircraft carrier bonnet & its entry & departure angles will be challenge but the big issue will be your dual rear wheels I always found that on sand they bog easily & most canter owners convert to supa singles due to this & remember to take a couple of spare mirrors as they are not going to make it & make sure you take extra tyres as the tyre walls take a hiding due to the wider stance of the F350 as the tracks are mainly crusier & patrol widths as you know
Choose wisely!work on cruiser in shed or on F350 on the track

good luck both will do the trip but one will do it easier

regards Vince
AnswerID: 449750

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)