Innamincka for Easter?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:13
ThreadID: 85289 Views:2842 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We had hoped to travel to Innamincaka via Broken Hill Tibooburra Cameron Corner to Innamincka found out that at this stage Cameron Corner to Innamincka is closed

Can any one inform me what the common camping ground is like at Innamincka and If the Cameron Corner to Innamicka is opened pre Easter it is possible to get there with 4Wd (NISSAN)off road camper trailer and 4wdToyota Landcruise and small semi off road caravan than back down the Streczelecki to Lyndhurst
We have done it before but am going along to support daughter and family hence the camping trailer as Easter is the perfect break this year for a working family to do it in

Appreciate any feed back
Thanks
Mary Kimber
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Livin On The Road - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 13:59

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 13:59
I am in Roxby Downs at the moment. From my understanding, the Borefield Rd from here up to the Oodnadatta Track is open. Beyond that, everything is closed due to the rains.

It is so green here.

Amy
AnswerID: 449572

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 14:18

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 14:18
Hi Mary

I've (hopefully) put a link for the Innamincka Trading Post in this reply.

Info at Innamincka

I'm sure a phone call can give you accurate local advice.

And everything I can find on the net indicates that lots of the roads out that way are closed and will probably stay that way for a while. The Coopers at Windorah in SW Qld is still rising whilst Birdsville itself is isolated at present and as you already know - Cameron Cnr to Innamincka is closed.

I'm hoping it all dries out by October so we can travel out that way again.

Safe travels in any case

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 449576

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 14:23

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 14:23
Hi Mary

The condition of the roads will come down to mother nature at this stage. You will only need a few good days of fine weather and they should be open again providing that they do not get lots of more rain.

The common is a great spot to camp, right on the banks of the Cooper.

Keep your fingers crossed for fine weather.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 449577

Follow Up By: Member - John R (cQld) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 18:27

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 18:27
But maybe no camping on the Common regardless, Stephen? The BoM site shows moderate, nearly major flooding at Durham Downs on the Cooper, so this peak should be at Innamincka by Easter.

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 721993

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 14:32

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 14:32
Hi Mary
I heard from a mate that the Streczelecki doesn't exist anymore due to floods,
and they have to completely rebuild it from scratch, imagine some of the other tracks not too flash either.
As I say only heard from a mate, and need to confirm first
Cheers Ray
AnswerID: 449581

Follow Up By: Skippype - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 16:26

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 16:26
Poppy
You are right. The Strez Track is impassable from Merty Merty to Innaminka and has been for quite a while.
The new road (Dillons Highway) is in good condition and well used.
The road from Cameron Corner to Merty Merty is a mess. I would not take a van or trailer up there. They are going to fix it then reopen it but when God only knows.
Skip
FollowupID: 721942

Follow Up By: BigT-NSW - Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 18:03

Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 18:03
See below for latest update I got in an email from SA Roads today
Cheers
BigT

This road has provided some real challenges over the past few month with significant ongoing rain damage. Jack's Camp (approx. 48km from Cameron Corner has received over 11 inches (275mm) since January 2011, 100mm of that fell in a rain event a week ago. There are 4 or 5 places where the water is still over the road, however 4WD vehicles will be able to detour around these. The road is extremely scoured from Jack's Camp to Haydens Bore (approx 73km from Cameron Corner) and is currently too dangerous to open .

The contract grader commenced work on the road again today (was too wet to work on it previously) and it is anticipated that the road will be opened to 4WD vehicles by Sunday (10 April), however, we will need to wait on his advice before the road is reopened.

Please continue to monitor the Outback Roads section on the webpage as this will be updated as soon as the road status changes. Hopefully, there will be no further rain events between now and Easter.
FollowupID: 723070

Reply By: Skippype - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 16:21

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 16:21
Mary
It is possible to get to Innamincka via Broken Hill, Tibooburra then instead of going to Cameron Corner you keep going North through the Warri Gate then up towards Noccundra Hotel. Well before the Hotel (about 40km past the Warri Gate) is a well sign posted turnoff to the left that goes to Tickalara oil field then Epsilon and Dullengari. Along the Della road to Dillons Highway (new Strez track) and up to Innamincka. This road has been open for the past week and baring any further rain you will be able to get to Innamincka for Easter. You will have no trouble getting there with the Nissan and camper. Going this way is no further than going via Camerons Corner.
Skip
AnswerID: 449590

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:27

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:27
And its a very pretty run. I have been both ways to Innamincka and while I love the Bore Track the run up through Epsilon is every bit as nice.

Duncs
FollowupID: 722091

Reply By: Cheryl M - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 13:43

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2011 at 13:43
Cameron Corner to Merty Merty is closed at present but very well may be open for Easter as they are starting to work on it. However it is still possible to get to Innamincka via Omicron and Epsilon from Cameron Corner and is actually as short as the Bore Track to Innamincka. It is a good round trip then back down the New Strez from Innamincka to Lyndhurst which is open.

As for camping, I was advised that all campgrounds are closed in Innamincka at the moment and the the creek is over .8 at the Causeway. So National Parks at Innamincka will be the best to find out more Mary.

AnswerID: 449710

Follow Up By: BigT-NSW - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 12:20

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 12:20
Hi Cheryl

Just wondering if you had a bit of inside knowledge on the Cameron Corner to Merty Merty Rd...You say they have started to work on it..

I am looking at getting thru there to the Strezlecki around the 24/25 April heading to Lake Eyre etc.. I was trying to avoid going to Innamincka first and back down to Lyndhurst.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
BigT
FollowupID: 722955

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 20:52

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 20:52
The causeway is closed and so is the common and surrounding camp sights due to flooding.cheers GD
AnswerID: 449908

Sponsored Links