Ayres Rock

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 853 Views:1593 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've heard a rumour that people are not allowed to climb Ayres Rock anymore. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks Heaps
Pat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grinner - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Pat

I was there in July last year, and the situation then was that the Local Aboriginals asked you not to climb the Rock out of respect, but you are actually allowed to climb it.
Take note that the climb is closed on excesively hot or windy days.
I did the walk around the base of the rock, and I have to say that I found this more interesting than climbing the rock itself.

Hope this helps.

Grinner
AnswerID: 2445

Reply By: Jinki - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00
Pat, Grinner is correct - the traditional landowners would prefer you not to climb Uluru, as it is sacred territory, but more importantly, they are concerned that many people are injured and some have even died climbing the Rock. It is very steep and also very slippery. They say, if knowing all that you still wish to climb it, then they are happy for you to do it, but of course it is at your own risk. Again as Grinner said, you will find it much more satisfying walking around the 9km base. We did it just after sunrise in June 2001, was brisk and very fresh at that time but exhilirating and a great sense of achievement at the end. The Rock formation is extremely fascinating especially the off side that is not often pictured. Make sure you go into the exhibition hall to view the story as well. Best wishes Jinki

AnswerID: 2447

Reply By: James - Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00
Pat, have a look at the replies to the query dated 29 January 2002. I think it is on page 9 of the Forum. I have written my thoughts on the subject. There are also a few other opinions. I believe the bottom line is climb it if you wish. If anyone really didn't want you to climb it, they would close it for good. Regards, James
AnswerID: 2454

Reply By: Pat - Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00
Thank you all for the info. We're going out there in July 2002. I'll give the climb a miss but the walk around the base sounds great.
Thanks heaps Pat.
AnswerID: 2462

Sponsored Links