Evakool fridge/freezer

Thinking of buying a 60-70ltr Evakool fridge freezer, has anyone had any experience with this brand?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Uncle-Laurie - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:20

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:20
We have a 60 ltr and have had it about 10 yrs now. Very good reliable fridge, however when put up against a 40 ltr Engel in 45 deg heat in the Pilbara 2 yrs ago, it tended to struggle a bit.
Mind you the Engel did have a transit cover on it at the time. Just depends on where you would do most of your camping? In cooler areas or mainly up Nth in the hotter areas.

cheers Unc
AnswerID: 449849

Follow Up By: gwezza - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:25

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:25
Thank you for your comments, we have a Bushman which works well, but the digital readout does not like heat and it does no have a separate freezer section. Our travels take us north & sth so will have to consider what you said.
Cheers
FollowupID: 722244

Follow Up By: P and JM - Sunday, Apr 03, 2011 at 13:21

Sunday, Apr 03, 2011 at 13:21
Have owned an Evakool 47 Ltr for 13 years (was converted from their old Supakool) and have only had one unusual experience with it since converted.
We use it as a freezer when towing our camper as that has an Engel in it.
When not towing we use it a fridge. Have never used it as a fridge/freezer.

Recently purchased one of their new 40 Ltr fridge/freezers and it had to be replaced because of poor construction quality. Yet to use it, possibly will only be used as fridge.

Good products with agents Aussie wide and good service.
FollowupID: 722638

Reply By: kend88 - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:31

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:31
We have had ours for 4 yrs and it has been really good.
We use one compartment as freezer, one as fridge.
Have never had a problem with it not cooling or freezing adequately, in Darwin and Cairns, and SE Qld summers

Cheers

kenD
Bris

AnswerID: 449850

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 17:40

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 17:40
Had my Eva Kool since 1999 never missed a beat, use it as a freezer .12 never been a problem, up through the Kimberlys, did the Wet season at a Homestead up to 52 degrees still kept at -12.

Love it wouldn't swapo it for any other at this stage.

AnswerID: 449879

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 18:12

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 18:12
I have an 82L Evakool fridge/freezer as well as 2 x 40L Engels with one used as a fridge and the other a freezer. I have found that the Evakool freezer is great, but the fridge part has a variable temperature zone as it only gets cooled based on the freezer setting. The end closest to the freezer can get below zero (cans freeze) while the far end can be at ~7C, althought this greatly depends on how often its opened.

A single compartment unit like a 40L engels controls the temperature far more accurately. But its simply a matter of getting used to the temperature zone in the Evakool fridge side and adjusting the divider as required.

The Evakool is no different to any other single compressor, divided fridge, in this regard and is IMHO one of the better fridge brands.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 449885

Reply By: portlester - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 18:17

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 18:17
We upgraded from a 40L Engel to a 70L fibreglass EvaKool last year and have been very impressed with it.

Haven't actually done any direct comparisons, but over summer and stored in the trailer I would say that the EvaKool (when run as a fridge only) was cycling less than what our Engel did (also set on the fridge setting) under similar conditions. Would also say that the battery draw was comparable between the two (in my experience), which would be due to the better insulation with the EvaKool.

Only downside (if you can call it that) I have found with the EvaKool is with playing with the temp settings so the freezer section runs as a fridge and the fridge section remains cold enough. A bit of juggling round with what food goes where has mostly sorted this out.

cheers
Ian
AnswerID: 449886

Reply By: Evakool - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 18:23

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 18:23
I always liked this photo from Mark Howlett that has been shown on this forum before, showing how cold his freezer was. I believe this is from a RF60-DT model.

I think Mark has more photos on his profile.

Image Could Not Be Found

Please let me know if I can help out with anything about the product.

AnswerID: 449887

Reply By: Simon (NT) - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 12:15

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 12:15
I've got a FridgeMate, which is an EvaKool brand name. It's the yellow box fridge.

Mine is a 55L. It was sent direct from the EvaKool shop in Queensland and took 4 or 5 days to arrive in Alice Springs. Brilliant service.

I've had NO problems keeping it cool out here in Alice Springs, and it used to live locked in my steel trailer (interior temp in there was up to 55 degrees C for a few days! and it managed to keep my beer at a nice steady temp, as well as my food. I currently use the entire unit as a fridge with the cooler end used for keeping my beer around 0.0 degrees, the far end for food. All working well on that front.

The one thing that I HAVE noticed though was that it does use a bit more power out here than it's quoted as using..
AnswerID: 449965

Reply By: River Swaggie - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 15:20

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 15:20
I think the Evalkool that struggled out in the Desert may need regassing...If anything they are to reliable and if used as a fridge only,you need to take care certain products dont freeze on you....

Ive had mine under a black tarp in the ute on a 43 degree day so it must hav been hitting 60 plus and the bloody tomatoes and eggs froze...

Ive just ordered the wireless temp gauge so i can see in the cabin whats going on.....wireless temp gauge

Also look at the 60litre Engel and its at least 20kgs heavier in weight...
AnswerID: 449981

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 15:21

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 15:21
FollowupID: 722418

Follow Up By: Simon (NT) - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 21:46

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 21:46
Deffo agree that the wireless monitor is good. I've got it up above my fridge where it's sitting in my bus, and if it's in the 4wd I've got velcro on the dash to fit the monitor to keep track of it all (or if it's in the trailer instead of bus/4WD).

Very good fridges I reckon, and great value for money.
FollowupID: 722485

Reply By: Member - Bill B1 (NSW) - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 23:20

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 23:20
Hi Gwezza,
No one has suggested a 3 way fridge/freezer. I have been down the 12v and 240v road with a fridge and quite frankly the extra expense you have to go to take charging equipment with you to keep it going is not worth the trouble.
I have a 40L Dometic as a back up unit and I can camp away from 240v for nearly two weeks on a 4kg gas bottle.
The bigger Dometic will of course use more gas but that is all you need to purchase. No solar panels, etc etc.
I put a divider in the box near the condenser and it makes a fridge and a freezer. I can keep ice cream hard.
The 3 way is such a versatile and cheap solution I cannot see why more people do not use them.
Must be missing something....

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 450028

Reply By: gwezza - Sunday, Apr 03, 2011 at 17:32

Sunday, Apr 03, 2011 at 17:32
Thank you so much for all of the comments and help, particularly the temp gauge.
Cheers
AnswerID: 450208

Sponsored Links