Doing the big trip

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 14:43
ThreadID: 85337 Views:1930 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all we are new to this site and the adventure of going around Oz with a
4x4 and caravan trailer thingy. We looking to Buy a Nissan Patrol any good stories or bad ones will do. We are excited and my wife is looking forward to the outdoor experience. We have done camping and local travelling in Victoria and SA, this will be out biggest adventure yet. Any tips of which way to go from Vic. coast travelling only no off road. swim eat and enjoy the outdoors. any suggestions
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 14:59

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 14:59
oh you lucky things ... hey the first thing you need to let us all know is how much $ you have to spend on the car ect then we can all point you in the right direction .. and probally time frame you have will help
Cheers guys
AnswerID: 449846

Follow Up By: Arnold & - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:21

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:21
Okay thanks for your response, we looking at getting either a Nissan Patrol or Land cruiser depending on the price. maybe you can advise what model is good we looking at spending around $30 000 for both ( not sure if that is enough) advise will help. My Husband is not very mechanical and we we will need help if we run i nto trouble, but I am sure there is plenty out there. we looking at 1 year maybe Jan to December 2012. Thank you once again for your response and I hope we get some nice feed back and good tiips.

Regards Arnie and Judy
FollowupID: 722241

Follow Up By: Farmboywa - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 01:07

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 01:07
G'day Arnie and Judy, for $30.000 you can buy a new Ford Ranger 4x2 diesel dual cab. You will feel every bump in the road but thats to let you know you're in a no frills workhorse. When towing with the automatics never use the overdrive, it's a coasting gear and not meant for heavy work. Have fun.
FollowupID: 722331

Reply By: Member - Neil G (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 17:42

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 17:42
Hi Arnie and Judy,
It sounds like you're heading for a great adventure! You should be able to get a pretty reasonable set up for that much. If you can, try to get a vehicle that has been set up for touring because it will have many of the extras you will need already fitted. Once you start your actual planning you will find that you will probably have to do some inland deviations so that you don't miss some of the great spots the inland has to offer. In general if you can tour the north during the southern winter and do the south when it is too hot up north you will find it more enjoyable!
Enjoy your planning,
Cheers
Neil
AnswerID: 449880

Follow Up By: Arnold & - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 20:04

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 20:04
Hello Neil and thank you for your input, I am so excited planning this trip I hope I have all the areas covered, if not we are just going to wing it as we go along and I hope it will be as enjoyable for us as it seems for many of you doing the same thing. It has been along time dream and we are just doing that dream and worry about the rest when we get back.

Kind regards Arnie and Judy
FollowupID: 722284

Reply By: BCA - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 21:29

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 21:29
Hi Arny & Judy
Understand the excitement. Go with it. It's part of the trip.
We are currently doing The Loop and have been on the road since March last year (2010). Never want it to stop.
Although we have done some of the off-road stuff unfortunately our van is not set up for extended off roading but that hasn't stopped us.
We currently have a 2003 Nissan Patrol 3lt turbo 4WD. Can't fault it.
When we left home in March we headed across to Broken Hill from NSW coast down to Port Pirie up The Centre to Darwin and down the west coast (WA). Currently in Perth then heading south west corner and then along coast.
Met some fantastic people along the way and have made friends who we believe will remain so for life. Shared some wonderful moments with them.
There is always assistance out there if you need it no matter what the problem.
We did the trip anti-clockwise and those we met going the other way (clockwise) always commented that the headwinds impacted unbelievably on fuel consumption. Even many of the locals we met along the way commented that the 'only way to go was anti-clockwise' and that was from people particularly up the Top End, Kimmberley and down the west coast.
One comment I will offer is that you need to 'Just Go and Enjoy'. We found our plans seemed to go out the door once we were out there doing it. Yes, have basic direction, when to leave, what to take etc but most importantly be flexible for as you travel things will come up that you never thought of. The best piece of advice we were given is that when you are in a place always think about it along the lines of 'Do it all I may never be here again'. Great attitude and you never miss anything.
At the end of it all remember the journey is the most important. Enjoy each and every day and boy will they be full
All the best
BCA
AnswerID: 449914

Reply By: BCA - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 21:30

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 21:30
Hi Judy
Send us an email at dydee3@hotmail.com
Have some info you may find useful

Di
AnswerID: 449916

Reply By: cycadcenter - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 06:18

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 06:18
The problems with a 3.0 Patrol are well documented.

Just search "Patrol genade"

If you choose to do the lap in one of these be sure to have an extra $10-$15,000 in your pocket for recovery and rebuild.

Bruce
AnswerID: 449925

Follow Up By: deserter - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 09:10

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 09:10
I shudder everytime I see someone recommend a used 3L Patrol. Scary stuff.
FollowupID: 722346

Sponsored Links