sub tank on 80 series cruiser

Submitted: Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 19:24
ThreadID: 8535 Views:1520 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi everyone just purchase cruiser and found when main tank approaches empty ,fuel leaves sub tank without pressing sub button , have taken to mechanics and cannot find anything wrong, no leaks etc.

Sub tank seems to work transferring fuel to main tank by depressing button, can anybody shed any light on this problem or have had same problems.

Please help

Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 19:34

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 19:34
My previous 2 also slowly drained into main tank....toyota techs also said every thing was okay...would like to know what is acceptable drain rate...
when i filled up main, sub needed about 10 litres from memoryWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 37337

Reply By: ** - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 22:51

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 22:51
You don't say whether you have petrol or diesel motor but my guess is its petrol.

I bought one of the last new 80 series petrol cruisers in 1998 and soon noticed that the sub tank always needed topping up when refuelling even though the sub had not been used. Toyota told me this was normal on the petrol version and that a small amount of fuel was automatically transfered every time the engine was started as a means of lubricating the transfer pump. It drove me nuts as you never knew how much fuel was really left in the sub. As the fuel consumption was horrendous anyway, I sold it fairly soon after that and bought a 100 series diesel, problems solved. The diesel 80 series does not auto transfer fuel either.

I would be interested to know whether the current V8 petrol still tranfers fuel.

Howard
AnswerID: 37369

Sponsored Links