Crossover construction project

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 07:03
ThreadID: 85350 Views:1943 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After attending the Melbourne and Goldoast caravan shows recently. I have decided to build my own crossover camper/caravan. Not attempting something as professional as a Kimberley Karavan but not I see that there are 9 on the market that I have descovered. Each appears to have some features worthy of putting into my project. The new Complete Campsite, Aussie off road are great but sitting between $73000 and $84500 for a Kimberley, I cannot afford this amount.

So Maroochydore located and seeking advice from anyone that has attempted this project in the past. Inital thoughts were to get a body made but this came to $31000 from a manufacturer. Most of the parts are available through Vehicle components and Coast to Coast. Looking at 6 months to get it done. Chassis will be hot dopped gal steel and suspension will be independent trailing arms on a air bag and shocky. Body composite fiberglass with a half tilt poptop roof with the up part at the rear. Rear door and front bed.

Appreciate any thoughts on these ideas. Pictures would be an additional bonus.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: carlsp - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 07:06

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 07:06
Sorry quick follow up to this. Currently I have a stick but most people say I will need a good mig for this project. Anyone can be more specific on exactly a model and brand would help. thanks.
AnswerID: 449926

Reply By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 07:19

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 07:19
Hi carlsp, I see that you are going with independent suspension on airbags. I have always wondered how it would go with truck airbags under there, much cheaper than buying polyair bags and more durable aswell. If you go for a popular truck suspension ie Hendereckson, Nuway or even a Kenworth airglide 200 as they are much more compact, you would have little problem getting spares in remote places as they would carry spares for the trucks out there anyway. Just a thought. Cheers Mick
AnswerID: 449928

Reply By: rm - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 08:18

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 08:18
Hi Carl,
Go to myswag.org They have a section on camper build's. Lots of imfo with pics.
Ron
AnswerID: 449932

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 08:19

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 08:19
Yes buy yourself a decent mig, I've got an Aussie Migomag which has performed well for years.
Also get a good metal saw, you will need a lot of straight square cuts. I use a Hare and Forbes metal bandsaw, works really well, can cut up to 6" x 4", is quiet and can be left unattended as the cuts take a bit longer than a dropsaw but the lack of noise is appreciated by the neighbours.
AnswerID: 449933

Sponsored Links