Les Christie 12 v Chargers

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 854 Views:1701 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Les Christies chargers sound like magic.Light ,quick charging,compact etc. Can anyone recommend them from experiance.I have a Honda E 650 .It is excellent but heavy and slow to charge,but Les's price ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: porl - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00
I bought one a couple months ago - got tired of my EU10i putting out max 8 amps per hour to recharge the battery. I have an Optima yellow top so it takes happily up to 55 amps per hour. Les's machine is just a beautiful thing to look at, he reckons the alternator is bulletproof, and i know the GHX50 honda 4 stroke engine is fuel efficient and reliable (exactly the same engine as in the EU10i). You can run stuff straight off the battery as you charge it. It has a throttle so you can run it as hard as you want or as economical as you want - though with the alternator the harder you run it the more amps go in so the fuel efficiency is i suppose is the same at whatever speed you run it as you run it for shorter length of time the higher the speed you set it. It is much noiser than the EU10i when not on lowest throttle setting (when it is on lowest is very quiet) but as two sources have confirmed, a visit to my local plumbing shop to get a 3/4 down pipe fitted to the exhaust exit and going into a hole filled with dirt or sand and i won't hear much at all. It is light, exceptionally efficient - and that is why he built it and is selling heaps of them. If anything a collector item that i expect with proper oil and air filter changes will be going strong in 20 years. It is small and fits under the back seat when it is folded down. Nothing on seems breakable and if it does its replaceable. The alternator is made in australia and the honda engine is, well, the same as on the biggest selling recreational generator in the world - the EU10i. If what want is something that can charge a battery at the same rate as you 6 cylinder engine but using a fraction of the fuel - cause you wagon engine is designed to propel a few tons of wagon and not efficiently designed to power your alternator, you just can't go past les's machine. Oh, and its shiny and looks very cool.
AnswerID: 2452

Reply By: Mal Try - Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00
Can anyone tell me where I can buy Les Christies chargers in Brisbane? Thanks, Mal
AnswerID: 2459

Reply By: porl - Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00

You should ring Les himself on 02 9620 1208 to get an update of who stocks them but as of two months ago the only Brisbane (or closest to) stockist was the Honda Power Equipment Shop at Beenleigh 3287 2847. When I enquired they had a couple on display but they were basically to be sold to farmers the next day, they probably have more in by now to have a look at.

And to answer Murray's original Q on price - about $1,000 or so, depends if you need it delivered or not.
AnswerID: 2460

Reply By: porl - Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00

Correction, when i said it fits "under my rear passenger seat when folded down" i did mean in the footwell - this is convenient cause I don't have to tie it down anywhere and is safe in case of a rollover etc (i don't usually have passengers in the back). So it unfortunately don't fold down to the size of a book, maybe one day.
AnswerID: 2461

Reply By: Mal Try - Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00
Porl, Thanks for the info. I spoke to Les. A great bloke and killer of many Barra. The Brisbane dealer is Johnny Wonder Honda in Benleigh at that phone number(07 32872847). I'll have one tomorrow! Thanks again, Mal.
AnswerID: 2471

Sponsored Links