campevans - age and k's

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 11:33
ThreadID: 85421 Views:2092 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi,
im thinkig of getting a toyota hi ace type camper van etc
I eventually want to travel around australia in it..
but..

the ones I've looked at , popt and hi top versions
most have have been around the 20-25 year old age groop
and around the200-300,000 k's in range
should i be worried about this if I find a unit that i like?

how reliable are they at these ages for long distance trips, and short trips?
and as a main car/daily driver ?

thanks for the replies..

milo...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 15:35

Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 15:35
You will only have the typical problems that an older vehicle suffers from. Wear and tear. Have it checked out by a mechanic before you buy. That way you know what is likely to wear out in the near future.

Budget to have these things checked and done before you leave for your trip.

Unless you are going off the beaten track, you will have no big problems. Travelling 'around Australia' means that you are living out there. Just like at home, you can have break downs and mechanical problems. Join up with your Automobile Assn and get full roadside cover. They will come anywhere to help you out and more than likely give you accomodation and a hire car to tide you over until the van is ready for the road again.

Just find the van you like. Pay the right price and enjoy the adventure!
AnswerID: 450314

Reply By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 16:17

Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 16:17
Ours is a '92 model with 475,000 km on the clock. Has had regular servicing and new head at 420K. Diesel automatic 2.8. Bit slow to accelerate but who's in a hurry.

We get away when we can and love it. We carry two folding bikes and porta-pottie with ensuite tent. Perfect for two or small family as it has 5 seat belts. We also have a canvas awning so we can sit in the shade etc. but sometimes don't use it on quick stops.
It was an ex rental in about '96 and has done the big trip around OZ about 10 times with no major problems. We have all the receipts from the previous owners. Lucky us!!
All the best with your search. Most will be units being sold by foreign back packers trying to sell before returning home, but have a good inspection before committing your hard earned.
AnswerID: 450321

Reply By: travellin - Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 21:10

Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 21:10
I have an 82 air cooled VW kombi Camper. Very simple motor to work on by any bush mechanic and amazing support Australia wide by Kombi enthusiasts. VW are wider than Toyotas. There are a few out the still, getting harder to find. The T3 only had app 750 imported but are tough as nails with great suspension. Mine has done 385k and had an engine rebuild 100k ago. Parts can be a little hard to source in Aus but if you get one that's well maintained and give it a once over they're a great vehicle. We've sourced parts from USA and only took a week to get them.Mine has gas cooking, rock n roll bed, pop top, bed up top, sink, electric water pump gas cooker, auxilary battery, 12/240 fridge. A great little unit. We plan to do our lap next year towing a camper trailer with the kids. Another Kombi enthusiast in the Kombi club did it twice with a similar set up and loved it. Have fun and good luck finding your Van.
AnswerID: 450363

Follow Up By: travellin - Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 21:13

Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 21:13
BTW if you look at Kombis do the Cape on You tube you'll see a variety of them going to Cape York. From a 2 wheel drive Bay window, T3 like mine, 4wd syncros and modern VW campers.
FollowupID: 722862

Follow Up By: travellin - Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 21:14

Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 21:14
BTW if you look at Kombis do the Cape on You tube you'll see a variety of them going to Cape York. From a 2 wheel drive Bay window, T3 like mine, 4wd syncros and modern VW campers.
FollowupID: 722863

Sponsored Links