Four Kids and a Fridge slide?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 21:15
ThreadID: 85433 Views:4899 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day.
I'm trying to fit a fridge slide to the back of a GU Patrol and as I'm a father of four little lovelies - we need one of the third row of seats down all the time. So to fit the fridge slide to a piece of plywood I'm having a little difficulty as I can't find enough bolts to screw into. So do I bolt through the floor or is there a cleverer way?!!
Thanks in advance for your responses!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 21:58

Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 21:58
cant help you with actual ideas but..... go to a "google" search, enter "Patrol Fridge Slide" and then go the button on the left for "images" and it brings up some cool fitouts, you may get some ideas from what you see or even some links to help you..
Cheers .....
4 kids ... are you mad ??? (nah i have 3)
Joe
AnswerID: 450367

Reply By: kingswoodwagon - Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 22:04

Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 22:04
Ive been in a similar situation recently.

I was going to make a timber floor (for the half of the floor the fridge needs to be on) using this guys instructions install slide

As it turns out - i cant buy marine ply where i live - and then i found an easier method.

I can get 3 bolts in the slide - but not the 4th (the fuel tank is under the floor below the 4th bolt position) I'm too lazy to drop the tank (and don't really want to stir things up under there) so i bolted a piece of 50 x 50 angle steel to the side of the fridge slide - protruding forwards - extending the bolt position to the front of the fuel tank.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense - i can email you a pic if you like.

Good luck

AnswerID: 450368

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 23:24

Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 23:24
where do you live ????
FollowupID: 722873

Reply By: Member - Corrugate75 - Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 22:31

Monday, Apr 04, 2011 at 22:31
Thank you for that. I like the idea of that 50x50 angle, that's just the kick along I needed.
No, not mad with four kids, just a weak moment (or four!) when asked - "Do you want too...?"
Thanks again.
AnswerID: 450372

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 09:29

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 09:29
Corrugate,

Depends on your fridge to some extent. I have a GU and a 40l Engel.

I have cut a board to fit on the left side of the floor in the GU. I mounted the fridge slide to that.

I fasten the board in place using one of the child restraint mounting bolts and another threaded hole at the rear of the luggage area. It is covered with a slotted plastic plug. This plug will unscrew but you can just pull it out by putting a screw-driver under the edge.

Finally I cut a hole in the board to provide access to the mount that the 3rd row seat clamps to when folded down. I have a steel plate and a u bolt. The U bolt fits around the seat mount up through the steel plate to clamp the centre of the board.

When you mount the fridge it is much easier to access if it is towards the centre of the car. It will slide past the left side rear door and there is more usable space down the left side of the fridge. Another advantage is that I can mount the fridge without removing either of the 3rd row seats. If like me your GU is the getaway car and family bus that is a nice advantage.

I hope that makes sense. I was always a bit unsure about how secure it was but after an accident last November I am confident the fridge won't move.

Duncs
AnswerID: 450393

Reply By: John & Loz - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 16:56

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 16:56
Hi there, we to have a Gu patrol and although we only have 3 little lovelies we have recently had our fridge in and on the fridge slide whilest having one of the third row seats in.
What we have is a box made from thick ply wood, with a pull out draw. it is deep enough to carry the recovery kit, first aid kit, small compressor and a couple of other things. We have attatched the fridge slide to the top of the box and out engel sits on top of that with no worries.
We find we can carry just that little bit more and as long as the doors are open wide we have no problems getting into the fridge.
If you would like more info just let me know and when John gets home I can give you the dimensions and maybe even a photo
AnswerID: 450421

Follow Up By: Member - Corrugate75 - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 06:17

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 06:17
Thank you for that, I'd appreciate some dimensions and a photo if that is possible.
I 'd be interested if you think I can still get a pram in and around the fridge, our youngest is only one, and a pram provides a bed, chair, and the ability to go for a walk with him, so it has to come along too!
FollowupID: 722939

Follow Up By: Joe - Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 12:36

Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 12:36
We did much the same although I had my box and drawer bent up by a metalworks place and all i had to do was fit the runners and bearings.

The fridge slide goes on top.

Bear in mind that the fridge will now be at a height that many people can't see into.

Could we get a pram in and around the fridge? Not with our 60 litre Evakool.
FollowupID: 723033

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 17:28

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 17:28
Yes bolt to the floor. I've done it with mine in my GQ and it's rock solid. Metal floor so no problems. Don't over complicate it :)
AnswerID: 450425

Sponsored Links