Gibb River Road May 2011

Hi
We are a young family travelling Aus with a 4yo and 2yo, we were wanting to spend about 10 days doing the Gibb river road from about the 9th May 2011 getting to Kununurra for the end of the Ord Valley Muster. We would prefer to do this with another vehicle, or even better another family!!! so if you are thinking of doing this let me know.
If you have done this before let me know your favourite spots!!!
Cheers
Garth
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 19:32

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 19:32
Hi Garth

So long as the roads are open that early and the rivers are not too deep, you will never be alone of the GRR. My bet is that you won't be able to go in early May this year. If it is open and it rains, the roads are closed due to damage, and you can be stranded for some days.

Check out my blogs for our 2008 trip of three and a half weeks from Derby to Kununurra. It was the best of all our Australian trips. We did not travel with children.

If time is not locked in for you, it may be a better option to consider the GRR after Kununurra.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 450519

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 20:41

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 20:41
Hi Garth,

We are currently up that way at the moment - word is the road may not be open until mid-late May given the extensive damage to roads, so it might pay to have a plan B. We are currently working on plan E given the rain gods have been so generous this year!
AnswerID: 450530

Follow Up By: rudi s - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 21:29

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 21:29
Hi,
We were planning to leave Brisbane on the 9th of May to Kunnunara , but have delayed the departure by about 10 days because of the weather. We hope the Gibb River road will be ok in June.
FollowupID: 723001

Reply By: Sea Star - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 22:16

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 22:16
Garth, my son worked on a property a few years ago on the Gibb river road, he still has friends up there one of his contacts was responsible for the road maintenance and he was commenting that they have had a lot of late rain and the road is not good and may be some time before opening.
I travelled it some years ago I would not want to have a young family and get stranded.
You can contact WA main roads for an update before going.
Regards
Garry
AnswerID: 450542

Reply By: Haleys - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 22:54

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 22:54
Thanks for your replys, I have heard the road is bad this year and if it still is we will be taking the bitumen, but thought we would just see how it is when we get closer!!!
Might have to leave it for the next trip!!!
AnswerID: 450544

Follow Up By: Joe - Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 10:39

Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 10:39
Plan on the bitumen route this year guys.

The top end has been washed out and the Kimberley has also seen a lot of rain and it keeps on coming.

Even if the road is opened in time you will find it rutted and badly cut up so the trip will be slow and uncomfortable.

Sorry.
FollowupID: 723024

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 11:08

Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 11:08
We were going to spend basically all of May up there but have decided to stay home instead due to the amount of rain. I didn't want to get all the way up and find I couldn't go everywhere we wanted to. We will do it at the end of the wet next year or the year after.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 723026

Reply By: Liam 1 - Saturday, Apr 09, 2011 at 09:22

Saturday, Apr 09, 2011 at 09:22
Hi Garth,

I live up here and there is a good chance that the road will not be open for some time but keep and eye on the main roads wa web site and that should keep you up to date.

In relation to what to see there is to much to mention but if you are here for 10 day's stick to the main gorges, when you do have some more time I would recomend the munja track it starts at Mt Elizibeth and you drive to Bachston camp and then on to Walcott inlet AMAZING but you need a good 4wd and at least 2 other vehicles so keep that in mind for next time.

Manning gorge is a good one as it has a great swimming hole just next to the camp and very good for children and then if you have a few back packs for your children walk to the main gorge very very nice.

Anyway hope this helps.

Cheers
AnswerID: 450759

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)