Choosing an off road caravan

Hi All,

We are heading off around Australia for a few years on a working holiday. We are wanting to go offroad frequently and have been researching different vans. We are currently looking at the Trackmaster,
does anyone know anything about them?
any experience with them?
Or just any advice in general about this type of life change?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 19:44

Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 19:44
G'day Julie - I've had a Trakmaster Nullabor for 2 years - I've sent you a member message.
AnswerID: 450609

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Apr 09, 2011 at 12:49

Saturday, Apr 09, 2011 at 12:49
I gathered some comments here re TM Julie but your member message has disappeared from my home page - if you send another blank MM I'll reply to that. They must be saving electrons here at Eoz !
FollowupID: 723250

Reply By: robsil - Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 19:46

Thursday, Apr 07, 2011 at 19:46
Hi Julie we have had a 18.6 trakmaster Tanami built for us,deliverd Nov 2010 .,very happy with the build and service. We have had it for a few short trips in between operations, as soon as i get over the latest op we are out of here to catch up friends that have made the move. No shortage of work for those that give it ago,and thats from people that i have run into around the country, if thats what you need to do at times
AnswerID: 450610

Follow Up By: Member - Julie B (VIC) - Friday, Apr 08, 2011 at 08:35

Friday, Apr 08, 2011 at 08:35
Hi Robsil,

The Tanami is what we are lookin at too, we thought 17' would be sufficient for us. We have a Nissan Patrol to tow it, how do you find it towing?
As we are going to be on the road for a few years I really feel that we need to get this right. Its very exciting in the planning I cant wait til we actually leave which is still about 10 - 12 months away.
FollowupID: 723120

Follow Up By: robsil - Friday, Apr 08, 2011 at 10:06

Friday, Apr 08, 2011 at 10:06
Hi ,we tow with a patrol td6 wagon and it handles it quite ok, long steep climbs will slow you down but that applys to most vehicles. The only thing i would include to the van is a new hitch coupling,i am getting a HITCH-EZY coupling .The developer of this hitch has spent years getting this up and running and trakmaster had one fitted for the recent show. a few other caravan builders had vans ordered with this hitch.
FollowupID: 723130

Reply By: John and Lynne - Friday, Apr 08, 2011 at 08:13

Friday, Apr 08, 2011 at 08:13
There has recently been a thread on Caravaners Forum on this topic. You might like to check that too. Lynne
AnswerID: 450656

Reply By: wendys - Friday, Apr 08, 2011 at 15:15

Friday, Apr 08, 2011 at 15:15
We had our Trakmaster Kimberley made in 1997, in order to travel around the country for a few years. Lived in it fulltime for 3 years, to start, then have done a series of trips most years since, ranging from 1 to 9 months. We estimate we have lived in it for about 8 years, in total, by now. Have towed it about 110,000km, about one-third off bitumen. The company has been very good to deal with, both when van was being built, and in servicing it since then.
We have certainly been happy with the van. There was only one item that needed replacement under warranty - the stove top lid - and that was not the fault of Trakmaster.
Bear in mind that there is a big difference between going off the bitumen onto formed gravel roads, and going offroad onto rough and narrow tracks. The bigger your van, the fewer the places it can go.
AnswerID: 450697

Sponsored Links