Eclipse Camper

Submitted: Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 23:07
ThreadID: 85569 Views:6200 Replies:2 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade to one of the new crossover style campers soonish. The Eclipse from AORC has caught my eye and although pricey it appears to tick a lot of boxes. Was hoping someone on this forum owns an Eclipse and can give me their opinion. Have no specific questions at the moment - just looking to get a feel for build quality, user friendliness etc etc

Cheers
TG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 00:43

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 00:43
Hi TG,

I have the Quantum by AORC, its the "brother" model to the Eclipse. The Quantum and Eclipse are very similair but ultimately I went for the Q as it has a shower/toilet and as its only some 50cm longer than the E, it still has huge off-road ability.

I have had several campers/vans and the quality of the AORC product is second to none. Not only that, the after sales service is even better! I had a flick mixer tap leak and after a single phone call they sent 2! The second one was a spare in case the the other flick mixer developed the same problem!!!

The only problem with these campers is their price. They are far from cheap but once you see the quality that goes into them and the attention to build quality, you understand why. When I changed my rego over from Queensland to WA, I found they had siliconed every rivet hole used on the number plate. it was something you would never know unless you drilled out the rivets and removed the plate, but just shows the attention to even the smallest detail.

I looked at every type of cross-over camper on the market and the Q ticked all the boxes for my needs. There are many good cross-overs on the market but each has their own unique differences. My key requiremements why I ended up with the Q were; an outside kitchen, rollout awning, shower/toilet (accessable while travelling), 4 bike rack and 2+2 inside accomodation.

As for user friendliness, its obvious that it was designed by people who use them. Things like space for dusty shoes under the drawers, outside shower (as well as inside), single 12v electrical isolation switch (except fridge), huge amount of external storage etc... and you can see it is well thought out.

I am rapt in my Quantum and am happy that it was money well spent on a quality product. If you have any more questions just fire away.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 451014

Follow Up By: tg123 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:16

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:16
Thanks Captain! Have considered the Quantum but think the Eclipse is a better size (and price) for us - only the 2 of us (early retirees - yah!!) and no need/ desire for fixed toilet & shower. Don't even particularly want a hot water service - happy to boil the kettle. We travel for about 3 months each year and find that the vast majority of campsites, esp National Parks, have great facilities and for the times we are remote we already have shower/ toilet sorted.
Also like the lighter weight and slightly smaller size of the E. Bit like Goldilocks really - Vista RV is too small, Q is too big, but E seems just right!! My only concern at this early stage is storage - we don't want to have a lot of stuff in the camper that needs shifting when we set up. Have emailed the manufacturers re dimensions (not capacity!) of storage spaces so hopefully their reply will sort a few things out for me.
I really appreciate your reply - great to hear from an actual owner. Have you taken the Q through any seriously offroad country as yet? If so, any comments re dust, water ingress, towing etc etc

Cheers
TG
FollowupID: 723594

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:09

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:09
Hi TG,

I have yet to do a significant distance on gravel roads, but reports on the AORC forum (owners only) shows they are very dust proof with the exception of the door handle on the Eclipse door. AORC are currently in the process of having a new seal made up and this will be given to all exisitng owners and fitted as standard to new ones.

This dust issue was identified by the owners and acted upon by AORC, gets back to that great aftersales service. There was also some problems with water ingress on the tool box handle of some early Q's, but again they rectified that asap.

One of my main reasons for upgrading was more creature comforts for SWMBO. I would (almost) be happy in a swag, but I gotta admit the luxury of the Q is certainly nice. I understand about the HWS, but the sheer convinance of turning a tap to do the dishes is bliss. While one could put another blanket over the doona, having a diesel heater just makes it so pleasant inside at night - same goes for a hot shower. But the real winner for the loo is when driving, those loos in the roadside stops and roadhouses can be downright unsanitary. Having your own that needs NO setup makes for a much more pleasant trip - I know my wife and daughter appreciate it.

Yes, one can easily make do without virtually all of those things, but it just makes things so much nicer you want to spend even more time away :) And don't underestimate the ease of a midnight loo stop after several drinks! Staying nice and warm inside and not having to find some shoes in the dark to go outside is true luxury.

I am suprised just how much storage space there is. Even with 4 of us, we have yet to fill all the inside space - we still have most of the underbed storage available for clothes etc... but I have filled all the outside space. I now take things like Webber, honda iu2, full annexe, 4 bikes, etc... but they all have a home and are easily accessable.

Anyway, I understand not all want things like HWS/heater/inside loo etc... and I too was like that before I had them. Now I don't think I could do woithout them :( Yes, I have gone soft... but I think you can see I am also very happy with my Q.

Cheers
FollowupID: 723615

Follow Up By: tg123 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 14:02

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 14:02
Captain, you're right, you have gone soft - but why not??? Think travelling with kids (esp young girls) puts a whole different perspective on things. I have 2 boys - they happily piddled anywhere when young!
My missus is a farm girl so no airs & graces there and we've been trying to be as minimalistic as possible when camping without compromising comfort to a significant degree. We have a porta potti which can come inside for those 2 am, alcohol fuelled pitstops.
It sounds like AORC are pretty proactive in their customer support which is most reassuring. Thanks once again for your input - much appreciated!

Cheers
TG
FollowupID: 723635

Reply By: Member - A J- Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 13:26

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 13:26
tg123 - contact AORC and see if they will give you access to the owners forum. That way you can read what the owners are saying in respect to the vans - where they have been. I do not know how far along you have to be to gain access to this forum.

A J
AnswerID: 451051

Follow Up By: tg123 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 13:50

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 13:50
Good thinking AJ! Will contact them once i receive a reply to my initial enquiry.

Cheers
TG
FollowupID: 723633

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 16:25

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 16:25
I would imagine that it being an "owner's forum", you would have to be an owner.
FollowupID: 723657

Follow Up By: Member - A J- Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 16:38

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 16:38
Shaker - there are people on there who are in the process of ordering vans and campers. This can be seen by the questions they ask in respect to options taken up by other owners.

A J
FollowupID: 723658

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 19:08

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 at 19:08
From what I have seen, once you place you purchase deposit you can then get access to the AORC forum. As it takes between 6-12 months before delivery, future owners tend to ask what are the best options as you only need to finalise a month before delivery. I have yet to see anyone on-line who hasn't actually placed an order.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 723676

Follow Up By: tg123 - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 08:38

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 08:38
Captain - sounds reasonable - guess we'll have to find a cheap flight and get our backsides up to QLD for a looksee! Is the factory located somewhere near Brisbane or is it regional?

Cheers
TG
FollowupID: 723723

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 09:50

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 09:50
Its in Caloundra, about an hours drive north of Brisbane. But I flew into Sunshine Coast airport (with Jetstar) and it was only a ~15min drive south. Flight was also cheaper too!

Australian Off Road Campers
15 Caloundra Rd
CALOUNDRA QLD

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 723728

Follow Up By: tg123 - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:04

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:04
Thanks for that!
FollowupID: 723731

Follow Up By: GOPIES - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 23:31

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2011 at 23:31
Just confirming TG123 i also was granted access to the AORC user forum after placing a deposit for a QUANTUM, delivery August.

Best thing you can do,lots of good advise.

Cheers
FollowupID: 723793

Sponsored Links