GU Patrol accessories wire

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 17:42
ThreadID: 8558 Views:6458 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am trying to pick up a switched "accessories" wire in the engine bay. Its to enable a relay to be fitted on my 2nd battery to allow accessories to be run from the 2nd battery, but switched of with the key.

In my 80 series cruiser there was a neat Power Outlet box with "IGN, ACC, BAT" wires. I have looked for a similair setup in the GU but no luck (hopefully its there and I missed it:). Failing that, does anyone know where a switched accessories wire is in the engine bay? I have tried the radio fuse, but thats permanent 12V (must be switched after the fuse).

Thanks for any advise.

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JohnR - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 18:28

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 18:28
Mark, I didn't bother too much with one under the bonnet in my GU til I made one that would suit my purpose. There are possibly a few uses for hotwires and others in the cab like I had so I ran a 7 core trailer cable, like I did the UHF and CDMA antennas, through the large grommet at the top of the passenger footwell. Mine is switched now with a relay off the lighter power socket.

It may be handy to run multiples at the same time, like a second 7 core cable just for provisions light switches or constant powered sockets. I keep those circuits fused at the battery

Perhaps I should have asked as you have ;-)
AnswerID: 37489

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 18:57

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 18:57
I have just had this done by the mecanic he took it off the imobilisor ,on my last 4x4 we ran it of the windscreen wiper motorBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 37491

Reply By: theratt - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 19:15

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 19:15
windscreen wiper motor , i have a phirana duel battrey system
and thats the easiest place to get switched power for the soloniod
AnswerID: 37493

Reply By: Mark - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:51

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:51
Thanks guys, sounds like the consensus is the wiper motor, nice and close. Will also be running several wires as the aux battery has to power UHF, HF, Engels, GPS, kids tv/video, compressor, electric brakes, trailer battery etc... feels like I'm re-wiring the whole vehicle. One forgets how much extra wiring there is when its been added over the years and not in one go.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 37511

Follow Up By: theratt - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:29

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:29
Mark best to wire up your HF radio direct to your main battery
HF sets require maximum full power for transmition and heaps of amps , so if you run it off the aux battery
it will not work to well after the fridge has been drawing power all night,
they draw very little power if accidently left on and wont flatten the main
FollowupID: 27179

Follow Up By: Mark - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:16

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:16
Thanks for the advise Theratt. I will be wiring the HF direct to the battery, but it will be to the aux. I have my reasons for this, the main being that if I can start the vehicle, I can recharge the aux battery. Also, I have found that the engels hardly draws any power at night. Its in a fridge bag and is not getting opened so it seems to rarely switch on.

Also guys, the wiper motor wire is an IGN wire, not an ACC. I've looked around the engine bay and cannot easily find an ACC wire to tap into. Looks like I will be using the cig. lighter in the cabin as the switch source.
FollowupID: 27184

Reply By: Russell [Pajero] - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 13:15

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 13:15
I have found the cigarette lighter a good one to active the relay with a direct wire (fused) from the battery a simple solution to this problem.

When the acc is on the cig lighter powers the relay which connects the battery to your circuit.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

RTA

Russell
AnswerID: 37667

Sponsored Links