Camp oven storage

Just a quick one,storing a cast iron camp oven,a coating of olive oil or similar,or is there something better.Thank you Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Magic (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:52

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:52
Hi Barry
We give ours a coating of oil and store it in a cloth bag, then inside a plastic bag (as the cloth bag eventually gets a bit oily but that's all the better for your oven).
Easy.
AnswerID: 451778

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 14:17

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 14:17
Hi Barry,
After a wash out we coat is with just cooking oil, It's placed in a plastic bag, then inside a timber box just bigger enough for it and then it's ready for next time. This lives in the tool box on the back of the camper.

AnswerID: 451790

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 14:55

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 14:55
Hi everyone,
We give ours a wash dry it over the fire give it a wipe out with cooking oil and place it in an old pillowcase. We use old pillowcases for lots of storage uses
Barb
AnswerID: 451792

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 15:10

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 15:10
Hi Barbara,
Old pillow cases are a handy thing. With the cooler months here, there is no need for the pedestal fans that the kids have in their rooms, so out to the shed they go. Now, how to keep the dust off the cage and blades until next summer, Pillow cases pulled over the top.
In the camper we use them for storing the gas hoses and fittings, the LED lights, the cooking tongs, flips, potato masher and things to stop them floating about in the cupboard.
Hope you guys have a great Easter.
FollowupID: 724406

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 20:39

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2011 at 20:39
One of the best things I did was "upgrade" my cast iron camp oven to a spun steel type. (Hillbilly in my case)
The cast iron one is buried somewhere in the shed, inside its canvas bag.
Probably still good as I oiled it before storing, but I really don't care.

The spun steel camp oven is much lighter, won't crack if dropped and when seasoned properly, developes a non stick coating. I seldom need to "wash" the Hillbilly, just a wipe with paper towels and a spray with cooking oil and it's ready for next time.

A far as oil goes, "oils is oils". Any cooking oil, vegetable, olive, peanut, or whatever you normally use is good for any camp oven. (Peanut oil is good for initial seasoning, but I use a vegetable oil in spray form as it is easy to apply. Then wipe away excess with a paper towel before storing.
The Hillbilly has a great canvas type storage/carry bag to hold everything, but you can also buy canvas bags to suit cast iron ovens as well.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 451816

Follow Up By: Member - John C (INT) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 19:38

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 19:38
One thing to be careful about with cast iron camp ovens or pots is not to use soap or detergent when washing them as they are porous and the taste and smell of the soap ECT can get in to the cast iron itself. By the way we just clean ours, dry and re-oil and keep wrapped in old tea towel in side canvas bag. Happy Camping John c
FollowupID: 724532

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 21:56

Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 21:56
Yep as others have said above me,we wash ours then coat it with cooking oil spray,put it back in the plastic bag and the box it come in.cheers GD
AnswerID: 452026

Sponsored Links