DIY Telescopic pole question - sprung buttons?? Do you know what they're called?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:22
ThreadID: 85767 Views:12097 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Figured I might as well ask the like minded folk here who prefer to self manufacture as I do. Someone is bound to have the answer.

I'm making some sliding poles - ie. one bit of square hollow section telescoping into another. I want to use those sprung buttons like you see on some telescopic tent poles, paint roller poles, extendible fishing net handles etc.

I've not cut the handle of my bream net off to have a look but I'm guessing they are a presprung button, possibly just bent spring steel that slide up the pole into position on the inner tube.


Does anyone know what they would be called in a hardware search on google or in a hardware/fasteners & fittings catalog?

Even better, does anyone know where to get them & what they are called with that supplier?

Any help appreciated.



Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:07

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:07

I was going to suggest the Tent pole locking nut and T nut Found here

But just realised you want the push button type :(

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 451890

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:32

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:32
Dave I don't know what they are called, but I bought some years ago in a camping store.

I think it may have been Kangaroo City.

AnswerID: 451893

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:37

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:37
You could also do what I did and simply get the paint roller extensions that are around 4 ft. Long and extend to approx 7 ft. Then simply fit the spigot into the end.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 451895

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 19:26

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 19:26
I 2nd dodgers advise. I use the telescopic paint roller handles in replacement of the poles on the awning on my Oztent RV5. I gotta paint roller and cut it down so it fits thru the brass gromet. They are solid as.

I also use 1 that can take, a boat hook, a landing net, Gaff, and lure retriever.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 724530

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:44

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:44
Dril a hole in the outer tube and weld a nut on it. The tighten a screw/bolt through the nut to tighten on the inner tube to hold in in place.

AnswerID: 451896

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:53

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 16:53
Hi Dave, they are called 'Button Clips' or 'Spring Button Clips', you can usually pick them up at camping stores. Primus show them on their web site.

AnswerID: 451897

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 17:33

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 17:33
Hi Chris & Debbie,

Thanks, that's just the reply that I was looking for.

I also appreciate the well intentioned responses regarding captive nuts, but that's what's being used at the moment and it's not satisfactory. Supporting the floor of a hard floor camper is a big ask for a mild steel screw tip against a flat surface.

Going to closely spaced holes and button clips will give nearly as much flexibility to adjust a range of heights and will guarantee a firm hold at that height.

They aren't even that great on tent poles but given the range of adjustment required on a sliding tent pole it's probably not realistic that there's another solution. I do have several alloy telescoping tent poles that twist to lock & they are heaps better and significantly lighter.

Thanks guys,

AnswerID: 451903

Reply By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 18:49

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 18:49

Try this site - looks like the item you need.

Tim - Stratford.
AnswerID: 451908

Reply By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 18:50

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2011 at 18:50
Hi Dave, I had need of the same thing a few years ago and made some clips from about 3mm wire. Just plain fence-wire not spring quality. They cost zilch and worked fine for years. The sketch shows the arrangement.

Image Could Not Be Found


My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 451909

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 23:20

Thursday, Apr 21, 2011 at 23:20
Hi all,

Passing through Geelong today, I picked some up at Rays Outdoors in Ryrie St. They are COI Leisure ones made from wire springs and the button sits on the wire. They look like they'll do the job.

I also got a reply back from Bell Springs (Thomastown) who I'd emailed before I found the ones at Rays. They had a range of several different sorts on their website.
Thankyou for your enquiry. We sell to everyone.. We accept MasterCard and Visa. We can ship to whereever you are.
10 Off Pear Shape @ $2.50ea plus GST

10 off Single Button V Shape @ 2.25ea plus GST

Both Currently in Stock.

Thought I'd add it here for the archive in case someone's looking in future.

Thanks for your help.

AnswerID: 452030

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)