Trackranger users - Can it run through an in dash unit?

Submitted: Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 10:47
ThreadID: 85800 Views:2990 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know if Trackranger will run on Win CE in-dash unit?
I can't really find anything that says it will....or that it definitely doesn't??
Is there be any other form of in-dash unit other than the Win CE platform.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Racey - Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:02

Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:02
Hi Allfour 4x4

Unfortunately it won't run on Widows CE, it's a Windows only program Which was confirmed by the Trackranger people. I was wanting to move from laptop to in-dash so had to change to Oziexporer which works fine.

Cheers

Racey
AnswerID: 452065

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:15

Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:15
Thanks Racey, I half expected that!
I've actually just bought Trackranger to use on a car mounted touch screen netbook...but am having second thoughts now, particularly with the idea of having the unit sitting up there for all to see when parked somewhere....probably inviting trouble?
I had thought I might buy a cheaper (more powerful) non-touch netbook and mount out of sight and run with something like the Dig Options in-dash unit....but sounds like that can't happen.

Maybe the alternative is a plain motorized in-dash screen as a remote screen for the netbook.
Incidentally, how do you find the difference between TR and Ozi?
FollowupID: 724732

Follow Up By: Racey - Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:31

Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:31
What I had was the laptop on the back seat with a 7" touch screen monitor on the dash. It was one from TR. Still have it if your interested. I then bought an in dash unit from Brash Imports www.brashimports.com.au. Very happy with the unit, he several options available and David good to deal with.

After using to the TR product there some getting used to Ozi but I don't have any complaint.

Cheers
Racey
FollowupID: 724734

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:16

Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:16
Thanks for your time again,
Hmmmm, sounds like I have plenty more Googling to do....unfortunately!
Having a look at Brash, they appear the same as the Dig Options units but I can't find mention of an OS..assume these run on Win CE as well.
I want to stick with the PC thing for web/email use.
The TR screen looks like it can be quickly unplugged/removed, for storage?
FollowupID: 724736

Follow Up By: Faulic_McVitte - Saturday, Apr 23, 2011 at 11:03

Saturday, Apr 23, 2011 at 11:03
Allfour4x4 Android has everything and you can use web/email like a normal PC. IF you have a GMail e-mail account you can have it set so you can do all your e-mail on your Android tablet and when you use your PC all the same e-mail will download to that if you want to keep a full record of all your e-mail in one place. A Bluetooth keyboard with the Android tablet is perfect mobile solution.
FollowupID: 724809

Reply By: Faulic_McVitte - Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 14:02

Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 14:02
OziExplorer release version will be out in a couple of weeks for Android. Limited working Beta is available now. What about one of the new Android daylight screen tablets that include GPS and everything else with the new Android operating system for tablets. Telstra is releasing the Motorola Xoom, Samsung have a new 7" and 10" either out or close to.
OziExplorer is so much better than Track Ranger and everybody supports OziExplorer and OziExplorer supports all GPS and Internet exchange formats.
AnswerID: 452071

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 15:37

Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 15:37
you know I've heard a lot of people saying how much better Ozi is, but never yet seen a list of better things?
I downloaded trial versions of both....Ozi around 6Mb , TR around 89Mb.
Both look similar, TR just appealed to me as more user friendly?? Even their website is....but anyway, I'm starting to sound like I'm advertising. lol

I did look briefly at the Samsung Galaxy Tablet which runs on Android but neither mapping programs run on Android at present and the fact I wasn't sure how compatible it would be with my desktop PC turned me off it.

Is Ozi any different to TR for use as a city navigator with UBD maps? ie: can you search up a street name and have it guide you there? City work is important for what I want as well.

Couple of things:

If I'm running the PC in car anyway, could I use the in-dash unit simply as a remote screen for viewing the map software rather than the unit actually running it?

If I end up just running the PC can I just install something like iGo software on the PC for better city nav?
FollowupID: 724740

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 19:01

Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 19:01
Hi Allfour4x4 - can you provide link to the 89mb trial version of Trackranger - as user firendly as you claim their website to be, I cant find the link.

Cheers
Greg

PC: You cant use Ozi for auto routing street nav.
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 724774

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 20:54

Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 20:54
TrackRanger Demo
FollowupID: 724788

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 21:22

Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 21:22
You beauty - Thanks

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 724793

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 23:14

Friday, Apr 22, 2011 at 23:14
Hello again

Is there a list of limitaions relating to the demo version...again I can find nothing on the user friendly website.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 724797

Reply By: Faulic_McVitte - Saturday, Apr 23, 2011 at 10:56

Saturday, Apr 23, 2011 at 10:56
This is the basic functioning
OziExplorer Beta for Android

Works on Android phones and tablets.
7" Android tablet with OziExplorer and using Google navigation around towns is great.
AnswerID: 452114

Sponsored Links