Evakool Power Supply

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:38
ThreadID: 85855 Views:6433 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I have had a Evakool ED68 fridge freezer for about 10 years and it has not missed a beat. Having said this the second 240v power pack has died. They seem to die every 5 years which is no surprise because when we are away it is packed in the back of the wagon where it is used to run the fridge when we happen to be near 240v and it also runs continuously at home. I try to look after it as best I can!

It seems that dust and moisture take there toll on these powerpacks as they are designed for indoor use only and when we are away we are normally in dusty and damp environments with salt water in the air too!

Rather than splash out for a new one from evakool for $200 I am looking for a cheaper/better alternative. The specs on the evakool power pack are as follows-

Input 100-240VAC 50-60Hz
Output 12VDC 7.8A continuous (120W Peak)

I have found one at Jaycar for $45 with the following specs-

12VDC 8A Switchmode Power Supply - Mains to Cigarette Lighter Socket

Suitable for high-current applications. Output is to a cigarette lighter socket. Fan cooled.

Specifications
Output voltage: 12VDC regulated
Output current: 8A
Leakage current: 500mA
Dimensions: 130(L) x 92(W) x 65(H)mm

see-http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3470&CATID=27&form=CAT&SUBCATID=381

I have also found what seems to be a dust and waterproof unit with what I think are similar specs for $US87

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/clg-150-12a.shtml

I don't have an electrickery background, can someone with a background in the dark art check the specs for me and let me know if either units would do the job?

I am happy to pay more for a dust and water proof unit on the basis it should not die every 5 years.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
GASGQ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GASGQ - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:53

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:53
Hi All,

My apologies the 2nd link does not take you straight there. If you click on it then click on "LED Drivers" on the left side of the screen

then click on "HLG120H" you get to the specs on the second unit.

Cheers
GASGQ
AnswerID: 452252

Reply By: maccax7 - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:56

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:56
Hi I have a power pack that was used on and off for about 2 months. I then exchanged the fridge for an engel with the reseller, but still have the pack.
Make me a reasonable offer and it is yours if that suits.

Cheers
Brian
Looking forward to every weekend being a looong weekend

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 452253

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 14:03

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 14:03
Hi GasGQ,

If it's good quality it should be ok.

Also I'd ditch the cigarette lighter socket, and change to a Merrit socket and matching plug on the fridge. Change the socket in your car as well. The reason is those cigarette lighter plugs do not make a very positive connection, the spring in the centre terminal tends to push the plug out and thereby lose contact pressure. Then the fridge gets low voltage and you lose efficiency. I've had a fridge switch itself off because the connection got bad, the voltage dropped and it thought the battery was low and did a low-voltage disconnect. Plus it cooked the connector with all the heat generated.

The more expensive Hella type of plug with the ring of negative terminals is better than the other type with just a single negative tab.

Cheers
Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 452255

Follow Up By: dbish - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 16:06

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 16:06
5yrs is a reasonable outcome for any SWMPS, the killer in all of them is the capacitors dry out due to heat. Not uncommon for some to die from this fault just out side 12Mths of contiuous use.
FollowupID: 724947

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:13

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:13
Hi GASGQ

The new ones we have are fully enclosed, no holes or fan.

PS12V10A

We also found we had problems with the fan / vented models so went to a LCD TV power supply and have had no problems since. The LCD power supply like the one for your lap top or computer lasts a very long time.

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 452331

Reply By: River Swaggie - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:04

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:04
No Fan

Evakool
AnswerID: 452426

Follow Up By: dbish - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:18

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:18
Notice theres a phone no on the advert so i ring it & it tells me no phone orders. Why bother to have a phone? I gues i wont be purchasing ay thing!
FollowupID: 725104

Sponsored Links