Fraser Island !!!

Submitted: Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 22:02
ThreadID: 8587 Views:2054 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Guys,

Well I been bugging you guys with questions over the last few weeks on Fraser Island because I'm about to take my first trip up there and frankly I'm Gee'd! Anyway with any luck this should be the last question before I return and give you a brief hehe. Anyway has anyone got a final things to add. Things that I should definatley bring? Things to watch out for? Good Camping/Fishing spots ? Permits should I book now or wait till I get up there ? What ever you guys think is relevant Id love to hear about it.

Cheers guys and thanks for all the help you've sent my way, its much appreciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fishin' Dave - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:14

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:14
If you're camping, make sure you read the dingo safe literature.
The rangers are very strict.
All food has to be in dingo proof containers, rubish bins must have sealed lids etc etc...

Dave >
AnswerID: 37639

Follow Up By: Fishin' Dave - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:17

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:17
Oh and watch out for the terrorists in those dam hire 4x4's.
Check out the 'hall of fame' at the shops at Rainbow... awesome.
Dave >
FollowupID: 27244

Reply By: Brian - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:44

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:44
Jay,
When we planned our Fraser trip, I got lot of info from this forum too!
Take the Bushmans Ultra with you... and use the roll on rather than the spray on 'cos it's so damned expensive!! But more than worth it. The flies at Dundubara would just about carry you away from sheer numbers!!!! But rub this stuff on and instantly no flies for 8 hours!!! (God only knows what it does to your skin... LOL)
Good camping??? just about everywhere... fishing I would think to be similar... make sure you set aside some time to "sight-see"... have a drift down Eli Creek... take a swim in Champagne Pools.... go for the drive to Wathumba.... The inland lakes are spectacular!! We drove the Southern Lakes Tourist Drive from Dilli Village to Eurong... also the Lake Garawongara trip from Happy Valley down to Poyungun Rocks... but I did hear from several people that the Northern Lakes Drive was very difficult in places.
There's so much to see on Fraser... it's an awesome place!!!!! Have a great trip!
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 37648

Reply By: Graham - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 20:03

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 20:03
Jay
You can obtain your camping and vehicle permits from the ranger station at Rainbow or the shop at River Heads, depending on where you plan to leave the mainland.
Waddy point has good camping, but take some 50 cent coins for the shower.
AnswerID: 37724

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 13:04

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 13:04
Jay, do your booking and paying on-line then just pick up the permits and paraphenalia when you get to RB. Plan each days activities (around the tides) before you go, but be prepared to be flexible.

I wouldn't camp at Dunduburra - don't like caravan park style camping, but some do. Take plenty of 50 c pieces if you plan to use the showers there (50 c = 3 mins).

Ensure you have enough secure lidded boxes (plastic or whatever) and tie down straps to make the camp dingo-proof. Read and follow all the "be dingo wise" information - it is important and you will have a better time if you adhere to the advice.

Do not take/use/wear blue clothes/tarps/tents etc - the horse/march flies are attracted to blue, especially the shade of blue those common tarps.

If you haven't done an archive search here, do - there's heaps of info and advice. Also, head over to Overlander forum and do a quick search there for more info.

Have a ball.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 38017

Reply By: patroller - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 13:12

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 13:12
Just came back from Fraser.
Highly recomend camping on the western side at AWINYA creek, or if you prefer better facilities(i.e showers and toilets, wathumba crossing) It was deserted almost when we were there. Fantastic fishing at wathumba. If you like your 4wdriving chaleenging go via woroali(not sur on spelling) track. Travel in pairs if u don't have a winch. Very sandy and hilly, don't recommend a trailor as there are many wombat holes.
AnswerID: 38175

Sponsored Links