RF Noise - 12V Fluros

Submitted: Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 23:33
ThreadID: 8592 Views:1577 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Evening fellow Thrillseekers.

In mid Sept 03 I posted a thread re the aformentioned subject of RF noise output from 12 V fluros turning AM/SW etc radios into screeching 'mothers'; and the R&D I was undertaking in an attempt to cure same. I also said I would have an answer by the following Sunday.

Well work and domestic drain on my time has seen that blow out to yesterday. Yep! a Sunday of sorts.

Anyway, I have cured the RF noise problem by 98-99%. Still a tiny almost inaudible warble every now and again which I can live with and this is how I accomplished it.

(1) Purchased 3 x ST 3006 LIGHT COMPACT from JAYCAR (thats their model No.) for $40 each. They are the new generation type 11V fluro.

(2) Purchased a packet of 6 ferrite RF noise suppressors (RF Chokes) ($10)

(3) Extended the factory supplied wiring on each fluro

(4) Fitted two RF Chokes to each pair of wires, by passing them through, around and through again.

(5) Made a mounting block for each fluro - to take the RF Chokes.

(6) Connected and fixed same to mounts.

(7) Turned on the the whole three at once, - NOTHING - Pure Silence. Bliss compared to the crap those other suckers produced. Switched them in varying configurations and still silence. (yes 'doubting thomas's - the radio was on nice and loud on some bleep ABC/BBC station)

DON'T PANIC.

I have placed a link to some photographs that I took of how I did it.

To those of you who suggested the Nelson ELV - great idea, however the profile of them were totally unsuitable to the application I wanted them for.

i.e. walking underneath them with minimal clearance for tall streaks.

These new generation ones have a fancy reflector underneath (just a piece of adhesive backed, silver relector material, but very effective and give out more light value than the originals.

They draw 11W as Opposed to 16W. Less than 1 amp.

They have a nice flat profile which can be enhanced if not using the mounting block. Only required to give clearance to RF Chokes if they can't be placed behind mounting medium.

I tried this practise and procedure on the original fluros without much success. I do believe I may have cured the problem if I had fitted an unknown quantity of RF Chokes to the lead wires of same . How many? who knows.

Hope this hleps any of you with this problem.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ken_3149

Regards

Ken Robinson

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:43

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:43
Nice work KenBob
AnswerID: 37641

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:05

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:05
Well done!!!
I note that it's the same flouro as in my VersaLite, which is pretty quiet normally, but I might look at putting in those ferrite beads to improve it even more (if they'll fit). Theoretically, a capacitor of about 0.1uf across the line should also help.
Gerry
AnswerID: 37649

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:07

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:07
Keep on wrapping them chokes buddy :-) Nice job..BradLife is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 37650

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)