Off raod gear for 78 series td ute

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 00:32
ThreadID: 8594 Views:2005 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there all

I take purchase off a td 78 ute in a week or so. I do a lot off road work on central australian desert roads...I am not sure what to do about suspension.....there are so many options....and so little money to spend
.....can anyone recommend simply just getting rancho schocks all round to solve the sub - standard factory shocks and coils the ute comes with.

Can any also recommend.....which twin battery system, light, fridge and canopy are best for driving over rough corrugated roads 5 days a weeK?

Ive been lookign at piranha twin battery systems, 50 litre waeco fridge, flexiglass canopy and rally ? 4000 lights. It is worth spending the extra bit of money for these items or can anyone recommend cheaper and just as study alternatives??

cheeers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 00:51

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 00:51
Hi Bill
I have a 78 series troopy and it has done a fair amount of travel with no suspension problems with the standard set up.
Why do anything until you have to if money is an issue ?

I also have an ARB twin battery set up and found it excellent with my engal fridge.
But to each his own and others here will tell you different.
A great truck none the less.

Regards
John
AnswerID: 37633

Reply By: bill - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 07:41

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 07:41
Cheers
yeah money is an issue and so is having my fridge in the back of the ute free from dust and rain.....might take your advice on that ..cheers

bill
AnswerID: 37644

Reply By: srowlandson - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:03

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:03
I'd recommend an Engel over a Waeco anyday,

\I would also recommend a Lightforce 240 over a Rally 4000. My brother has had both and the LF being lighter and stronger lasts alot longer and doesn't shake itself to peices.

For the 78 series, we have found Koni Shocks and OME Springs to be the perfect combination, the Rear shocks being GQ Patrol Rear shocks which are slightly longer and valved slightly better.

Steve
AnswerID: 37645

Follow Up By: bill - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 13:37

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 13:37
Konie shocks what are the prices involved there abd do they radically improve the ride or what..and how much for lightforce lights???
FollowupID: 27280

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 14:12

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 14:12
We sell Lightforce 240's for $380 +P&H and 170's @ $325+P&H

Koni Shocks you'll pay $140-180 each roughly.

I've had Series 2000 Shocks on my Patrol which are the same as the cheap Terrain Tamer (made by the same company to the same spec) which were great, although my collegues strongly recommend the Koni for a Landcruiser

Steve
FollowupID: 27282

Reply By: Troopie - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:56

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:56
Heya
Agree with earlier comments. I have a 78 Series Troopy which is on factory shocks still - I reckon blast the factory ones to death before replacing. Also, at one stage my rear shocks developed a leak - so Toyota replaced all four under warrantee (after 2.5 years and 80 thousand k's)!

I have a Piranha battery system with a Centuary cranking battery and two AC Delco Deep Cycle batteries. The Piranha system is now in it's second vehicle and has never mucked up in any way.

Waeco vs Engel (see the archives)

I have Lightforce 170's and have found them to be bulletproof compared to some earlier lights I had (no experience with the other lights you mention).

Cheers
AnswerID: 37654

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 14:15

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 14:15
FWIW, whilst I find the OEM (factory) shocks quite robust, and yes, they are replaced underwarrenty when broken / leaking, the tend to fade badly and are next t useless in a 1/2 - full loaded vehicle travelling at speed on a heavily corregated road. They also tend to handle poorly on the road with a loaded vehicle.

OEM (factory) shocks and springs are for onroad use, with little to no load on board in my opinion, add food, second battery , fridge, bullbar and the added weight gets a little much for the poor factory suspension.

Pirhana make an excellent Dual Battery system, well worth the $$ there, Alternatively the ARB system is also remarkably good value.

Steve
FollowupID: 27283

Follow Up By: hawaiian - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 14:44

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 14:44
i would pay the extra money for the hella rallye 4000 lights, i have had a lot to do with the lightforce lights and they are nothing like the hellas,but
dont get the spread beam insert, they are hopeless .the lightforce lights have a bad habit of filling with water or the refective material on the inside of the insert peeling off.
hope this helps.

FollowupID: 27293

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 14:50

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 14:50
Hawiian,

Have you tried / used the LF range since the Breather Kits were fitted? This stops all Water issue, and FWIW we have had water in Rally4000 lights also.

I haven't had moisture in any LF240's we have had, although an old set (3-4 years old) was replaced, free of charge, no questions asked when it had moisture in it and the reflector was 'stained'

The New LF240 with the breather kit, or the XGT are an excellent light, and the only lights we run now.
FollowupID: 27295

Reply By: friar - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 19:58

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 19:58
Hi BILL
For what its worth i have had a trailblazer fridge with there solinoid
set up which they supply in kit form,very easy to fit with dual batteries
My set up is now 7years old with not one problem in all that time,
replaced starting battery at 3years &85amp hr deep cycle battery
at 4years as for lights i run 150 watt off road lights bought at supercheap
been on the vehicle for 4years with no problems I would wear the original
shockys out before replacing them
Friar
AnswerID: 37723

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 22:38

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 22:38
Why not just get the car, drive it, the suspension will be fine for a while, the lights, see what they are like, maybe go with some of those better std globes in a 80/120w

Ranchos suck.

Fridge, see what you can get.

Twin Battery, ask Bitzamissin on the Outerlimits site about his Piranha system, I think he has his car back after it caught fire. Look for Rotronics on the net.

Fridge They are all about the same, see what you can get a better price on, although when we looked at Wacko's wife opened one and the lid broke off thus we have an Engel 40.

Lights, go with Lightforces, try www.offroadshop.com.au

Again, just get the car and get used to it. You shouldnt have to really spend more on a $50k+ truck to be happy should you?
AnswerID: 37740

Reply By: stevesub - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:23

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:23
We still have the standard shocks at 175,000km on our 78 series Troopy. Mind you I will be either fitting or carrying a new set before the SImspon Desert trip we are planning to do next year.

We have a Engel 39 litre fridge, great. It is mounted on a base which is then supported by short approx 25mm high springs. This was part of the camper conversion and is probably there to absorb any shocks for the fridge. Seems to work well.

Our dual batttery system is what was there when we bought it and seems to be just a relay and maybe diode. I have not looked too close to see exactly what the second diode looking box is but at the end of the day, the system looks cheap as BUT works well with no problems.
AnswerID: 37831

Sponsored Links