running hot

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:49
ThreadID: 8595 Views:1469 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Got a HZJ 75 with a 2H motor (powering down?) seems to run hot on the gauge but only on the highway and more so on hot days. 1st step checked thermostat, worked took thermostat out no difference changed thermostat anyway, checked flow through radiator-ok took radiater ot to be cleaned but was told I would be wasting my money as it looked brand new. The fan seems to turn ok but I have heard extra gel or something can help, how is this done?. It has a new water pump also and a brand new head
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:33

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:33
So has it only happened since new head??

Try new radiator hoses.
Take radiator off, put upside down and stick hose in so it flushes out the filler cap(which is on the ground side)
Hose out the fins, and air conditioner radiator
Get clutch fan tested (if that is what they run) its the only way, they always "LOOK" like they are working.

If that fails, then
Get the radiator Flushed.
Rebuild Clutch fan with new fluid from Yota - they will tell you it doesnt exist as they want you to buy a new clutch fan at around $400. Fluid is around $20-40 depending on dealer..

If that fails.
Sell car ;)
AnswerID: 37662

Reply By: thomo - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:43

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:43
davoe was it a new head or reco second hand.
AnswerID: 37698

Reply By: Paul - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 00:10

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 00:10
Hi,
My 2H in the Hj47 runs pretty hot on the highway going up long slow gradients, gets up to 200C at times, never boils though. It never heats up on the dirt no matter how steep or hot it might be. I extended the radiator cowl with some scrap aluminium sheet and now the problem has virtually disappeared, so i think maybe the fan isn't spinning as fast as it should be.
AnswerID: 37764

Follow Up By: jo - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:23

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:23
Thank goodness for those feet cooler vents, I say.
My HJ47 ute is also quick to creep up the heat gague on the highway, which never is much drama as long as I drive it with love,...
however the pain is inside the cabin in summertime... feet burning on the floor until I put in some old carpet underlay,,,
I'd love to hear anything more any HJ47ers have on cooling the beast down.
Paul, can you explain in a bit more detail about extending the cowl..closer to the front do you mean?
Too bad there isn't a way to draw sketches on this forum!
jo
FollowupID: 27778

Sponsored Links