Perth 4WD Show

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 15:49
ThreadID: 8600 Views:2746 Replies:14 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Guys & Galls,
Just out of pure self-interest I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the 2003 Perth 4WD Show? Personally I thought there was much of the same stuff there as previous years, i too am of the same opinion as most people when it comes to having to Pay to go and see Products that people want you to BUY from them!! I left there about $70 lighter that was for entry, food and drinks for 2 adults and our 4yo Boy luckily our 9yo was at a friends place. at this stage I don’t think I’ll be going to next years event too much of same old same old.......
Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 16:20

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 16:20
I thought is was great. $12 was worth it. I spent hours looking around at all the displays. It's good to see everything to do with 4WD's and accessories in the one place. Those hand winches look pretty good, I might save up for one. Those magnesium fire lighters seem to work a treat too!!! I noticed one of the busiest stalls was the map stall, they were selling heaps.

Equinox
AnswerID: 37684

Follow Up By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 16:25

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 16:25
equinox, The problem is the same products and services are there every year........As a one off it is good but not worth going every year.

Regards

Mark
FollowupID: 27308

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 16:22

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 16:22
Hi Matt,
The show was Same old Same old..... Very little in the way of new products or suppliers. Based on this year I probably won't be going next year ..... Regards Mark
AnswerID: 37686

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 16:30

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 16:30
Matt,
I agree, much of the same old stuff, bit hot on the old scone considering it was supposed to be cooler. I was hoping to pick up a few show bargains, didn't happen, it's intersesting to see how some stalls therefore businesses have grown, "Michells Sacs" for instance, the first time I saw this product it was a small three man tent job now they're up competeing with the bigger stands in a huge marquee, good to see. $3 for a bottle of water was a bit of a sting, especially when it's hot. I had my shoes cleaned for nothing but that nearly cost me a tin of this scented oily stuff, managed to escape with a gesture that I might return later when I got some change. It was good all the fourby clubs where in the same place, easier to find and look at. Found there seems to be a lot more people offering training and organised trips, good in a way I suppose. Even though it's as you point out it's a lot of the same old stuff and you have to pay quite a high cost to get in I quite enjoy it, I usually pick up some hint or tip or find something new I didn't know existed, if that's worth 25 bucks in some cases yes others no. If the food and drink wasn't such a rip off the 25 bucks wouldn't be that bad I don't think, not for the family which was counted as two adults and up to four kids. My opinions as usual. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 37689

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:39

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 17:39
Matt,
You know the moral of the story here is that for a good day out, you have to take food and drink for the family with you in backpacks or go alone.ExplorOz
AnswerID: 37697

Reply By: Member - Alan- Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:35

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:35
I didn't think it was as good as previous years. Went there with the intention of going through the various country shires/tourist towns maps etc, but most weren't there this year, or I never noticed them except Kalbarri.
The Pedders stand wasn't over rushed with possible purchasers ..... wonder if they'd all seen that defamatory website sometime ago?
A couple of business people I spoke to were of the opinion that they could have spent their time better elsewhere!
Won't go for a couple of years and see what happens.
Agree with Michelle, take some water and nibbles to keep the cost down.
AnswerID: 37711

Follow Up By: maverick - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 19:24

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 19:24
what's this about pedders? they gave me a quote of $140/pr heavy duty springs for my 1989 lwb maverick? $100 less than tjm / arb. need to replace the current ome set pretty soon.
FollowupID: 27335

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:10

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:10
Maverick, I won't give you the web address as Exploroz removed it the last time to avoid the possibility of legal action against them, and I didn't blame them at all, it was very strong to say the least.
Suffice it to say that it wasn't complimentary about Pedders from a franchise owners point of view, or their products, which were mostly rebadged other peoples products.
But if you reckon they offer a fair deal, take it.
FollowupID: 27393

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:41

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 18:41
Matt,

We managed to score some free passes otherwise we probably wouldn't have bothered going this year. But we did think it was a better show than last year...seemed to be more room and therefore not as crowded. Did see some good idea's although we aren't really in the market for anything. Camprite, the manufacturers of our campertrailer were there and it was good to see what developments have taken place with their trailers in the year since we bought ours (consequently back with them now for drawer/storage system to be installed, LOL).

Agree, not really any show specials around. Just about had a heart attack at the Black Widow rear storage system display - $2,360 for fridge slide and 2 drawer system for our GU. You gotta be joking! If nothing else though it's spurred hubby on to design and build a custom unit ourselves.

Anyway, our son had fun even though we had to follow the camels around for awhile, luv's animals so he got a lot out of seeing the wildlife carers tent with joeys, various birds, snakes and possums to look at up close. Mind you, he got a bigger buzz out of going to meet "Bob the Builder" later that day, LOL.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
AnswerID: 37714

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 20:10

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 20:10
Melissa, october last year, due to info from explore oz I purchased a set of roller draws for $330 Brand new, carn't see the $2k diff my self!!!!Designing a new camper Heaps of choises
FollowupID: 27339

Follow Up By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 20:32

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 20:32
Melissa, Had a look at the various campers (although not in the market) and thought that the Camprite was one of the better value for money units there. Couldn't see the $10K difference between that and the T Van.

Regards

Mark
FollowupID: 27340

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:27

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:27
Mark,

Have to agree with your comment about value for money. That really was the clincher when we decided to buy a Camprite...a top unit representing real value for money and just about everything included as standard. I hate when you're looking at a campertrailer for $XXX and then get told oh yeah, things like the awning, water tank, storage box etc etc are extra. I can understand full annexes and boat carriers being optional extra's but the other stuff????

FollowupID: 27397

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:16

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:16
Melissa
it was actualy less crowded, attendence numbers were down from previous years, i spoke to the new managing director after the show &she was keen to build on the format & improve on it where possible so it will be interesting to see how next years goes
FollowupID: 27428

Reply By: Member- Rox - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 20:15

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 20:15
I got in for $7 thanks to Oppisite lock on friday (no crowds)

Same old stuf depends what your looking for!! I went to (pinch) get Idears of campertrailers and what options people put in them. I always walk past the stands of Gimicks or at least stand well back!!!( you know the ones were they demo some Junk, Draw a crowd & then sell to as many as they can) Designing a new camper Heaps of choises
AnswerID: 37725

Reply By: Colin - NSW (Bungendore area) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 23:58

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003 at 23:58
If you are into more of the same and getting ripped off - try the Sydney Motor Show. A few manufactures weren't there and we missed out on the 'chics on the bonnet' stuff! Not a lot of new cars - except for Commodore 4WD and Falcon 4WD.
Generally disappointing.

But I dont mind the Sydney 4WD/Camping Show - entry fee is a bit much but there is lots to see. If you intend buying anything be careful ! - special Show prices can be more than if you shop around on the Web etc.Subaru Forester
"size isn't everything"
AnswerID: 37763

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:32

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:32
Another one the same was this years Perth Big Boys Toys exhibition. Hubby and a mate went and couldn't believe how poor the how was with a distinct lack of toys. They reckon there was a lot of disgruntled people on their way out who were telling those coming in not to waste their money.

FollowupID: 27399

Reply By: nugget - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 01:03

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 01:03
Matt
After going to the 4wd show in Melbourne the other day, I would have to say the Perth 4wd show was light years ahead, especially with regards to the number of exhibitors, around 180. I did find out that Beaurepairs have a special on Goodyear MT/R's this month. A 31/10.50/R15 $197, 235/85R16 $233, 285/75R16 $267, just to name a few. The saving on the 285/75R16 is about $50. Generally it was much of the same stuff but I feel very sorry for people on the eastern seaboard if all their shows are anything like the dismal Melbourne 4wd show. We should all be thankfull over here in the West for a 4wd show that is probably the best in Australia. Infact its nearly as good as the Dowerin field day. Well maybe not.

Cheers
AnswerID: 37767

Reply By: Member - Karl - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:21

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:21
The best 4WD/Carvan/Off Road show that I have ever been to is the one held at Panthers in Penrith, NSW, in late Sep early Oct. I have been four times. Free entry (which is unusal for NSW), free parking, heaps of exhibiters (though most are the same) decent prices for food and drink. They always got huge crowds, so you have to wonder why others shows charge fairly hefty entry fees.Everyone is entitled to have an opinion - just make sure that yours is correct.
AnswerID: 37773

Reply By: Dmitri - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:19

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:19
Yeah, the last 4x4 Show was boring - nothing new sicne last year except the strange roof tents.

But I wasn't upset, 'cause I've got two nice deals from ARB and Outback Acces. Total savings 1300 bucks. $30 for tickets was a good investment :)

Cheers,
Dmitri.
AnswerID: 37796

Reply By: Member - Alan - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:19

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:19
I have not been for a few years so I found it interesting however it does grate with me that you have to pay (more and more) to see something that they want to sell you. I went first thing Sunday am to avoid the crowds with the main purpose of getting some ideas about campertrailers, could not get over the number available - the way things are going there will be campertrailers and caravans everywhere- traffic lights on the GRR ??? Site was ideal,plenty of parking, grass and a few trees for shade - probably seen enough at this stage so I don't think I will be going next yr
AnswerID: 37830

Reply By: Maresa - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 00:25

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 00:25
Hi Guys
Went over to perth for the 4wd show, originally melb bred but in process of migrating west as we speak. Must agree with earlier comment about perth being light years ahead with presentation and info.

Gota great deal on a modified Rangie so no complaints here but main reason to go was to see the difference and see how much more expensive everything was. This wasnt the case and were were very suprised with the comparitive prices available.

The parking and sunscreen were free - melb [pay $8bucks on average, pay $12 to get in(same in Melb), raffles to win prizes same in both states, the food to buy was really decent and being outside was so much better. Sizzled in the sun and had no complaints about the whole day. Had plenty of goodies for the kids and people were friendly and the view of the city was lovely. Melb is good for new stuff, perth was good for all things fast and faster,higher,bigger and better, no matter what you drive.

Look forward to next year and would pay whatever it takes to enjoy the fresh air!
Simon
AnswerID: 37884

Reply By: Chris (W.A.) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 23:12

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 23:12
I didn't find it too bad but all the same as last year.

Some people rubbish the supposed "show prices" but I bought my Garmin Emap from there for $200 cheaper than what the selling at the shops.

Won't bother for a few years.

RegardsNice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
AnswerID: 37981

Sponsored Links