Road and area conditions

Submitted: Friday, May 06, 2011 at 22:17
ThreadID: 86112 Views:1482 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Have heard conflicting reports about the condition of the Bruce Highway between Cairns and Townsville hoping to travel this route mid June and stay at the usual Caravan parks.
Questions are-: is the Bruce going to shake us to pieces and has the region recovered enough for tourists.

Thanks in anticipation for you reply's
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Off-track - Friday, May 06, 2011 at 22:30

Friday, May 06, 2011 at 22:30
Travelled this section last week with a trailer that had a flogged-out suspension shackle so I was paying some attention to the road condition. No problems with it at all, meaning if anything it seemed in better nick than previous trips in the past. A few roadworks but that's about it.

Cyclone damage around Tully/Cardwell is undergoing some regrowth. Spend some money in Cardwell and Tully to help the local economy recover.
AnswerID: 453495

Reply By: Member - Gordon W (WA) - Friday, May 06, 2011 at 22:31

Friday, May 06, 2011 at 22:31
Harry,
we have been from Townsville to Cairns and back this week in our van, road is very good( in fact some of the best we have travelled on) but has two sections of major works controlled by lights.
The area is very much open for business.
Wrongo
AnswerID: 453496

Reply By: CSeaJay - Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 12:35

Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 12:35
Harry

If you are concerned about the condition of the Bruce Highway, then seriously never never take your car on dirt roads.

In answer to your reply; It is a double lane (one each direction) highway, 100km/hr, sealed. Yes the extended wet gives one a few potholes, but nothing a Porche can't handle
AnswerID: 453521

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 07:14

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 07:14
Bit of an unworthy reply. The chap has heard bad reports and wanted some genuine info. Dont reckon he will be using a porsche to tow with. After the big wet he was obviously worried that the roads would have copped a hiding. Thats why we ask for honest answers/opinions to such questions.

cheers
FollowupID: 726425

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 11:36

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 11:36
Bigfish,

I actually thought it was informative. Obviously Harry heard bad reports, and I set that right stating that even sportscars would be ok and his concerns are therefore unfounded

Another way would be to say the stretch between Tvl and Cairns is much the same as the stretch between Brisbane and Tvl!

Up to 60,000 vehicles per day use this road, I am sure Harry would be ok!!

The bad press is about lack of flood-proofing, lack of overtaking lanes and potholes after rain. But again, this is similar to the rest of the BH!!
FollowupID: 726454

Sponsored Links