Oh what a Lemon

Submitted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 22:45
ThreadID: 86305 Views:9006 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Just came across this site.....

Oh What A Lemon

I just placed an order for a 200 GXL TDV8 last Friday....now I am worried. The dealer told me that they are no longer using oil, but this site has very conflicting information.

Those that have a 200 TDV8....should I be worried about what seems to be a number of issues with the 200 more than just oil consumption ?

:-(

Please give me some comfort
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 23:28

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 23:28
I suggest you join LCOOL.org and you will get a much more balanced point of view. There are many threads on this and other issues, once you work your way thru them all I am very sure you will be glad you have ordered arguably the best 4WD on the market :)

If you read thru the website, his initial complaint was the lack of adjustment on the seat (don't you check that out before you buy it?) and then he complains about fuel consumption (780km best from the tanks). Now I can get over 1,000kms and up to 750kms when towing, not sure what he is doing to get so low.

Anyway, yes there have been the odd issue but your model is well sorted and Toyota do eventually look after you, thought they need a bit of prodding at times.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 454414

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 13:08

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 13:08
Thanks Captain.

There is some saying: Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I think I will get the cheese.
FollowupID: 727286

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 01:24

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 01:24
B-W

I am not going to waste a second of my valuable time looking at that link, because! I bought last years July 10 model - hot off the assembly line - and it hasn't had any of the 'so called issues'.

As a matter of fact it's heading off to Alice Springs today which will be its second trip there. This time towing a Camper Trailer loaded to the gunnels.

Last time to Alice-S it wandered between 10l -10.6l per 100kms depending on the terrain and was always at the speed limit/s.

When I tow our Jayco Base Station at approx 2.5ts, it tends to enjoy drinking the diesel like a Irishman at a free whiskey tasting. (LOL) However I just fill it up, hand over the plastic and don't dare look How much it used or what it cost. Sleep much better that way.

Enjoy your new 'wonder machine' and take no notice of the Ooo! Ooo! brigade.

DD
AnswerID: 454416

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 07:56

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 07:56
I agree, we are on our way to Darwin, and the Patrol is sucking Diesel if there was no tomorrow.

Might ease off on the Go Pedal, it tows the van ok but these straight long roads seem to make you want to just go.

Just pay up and enjoy the experience.
FollowupID: 727248

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Monday, May 16, 2011 at 09:25

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 09:25
I used to laugh when we filled up the cruiser and put around $200 dollars in it. People would be saying how do you afford that. I could never afford to put that much in. It's not how much you put in, it's how quickly you use it that matters. As mentioned, if you want to get out and see this country you just have to pay it. Up north a couple of years ago we were paying $2.45. Friends were saying I wouldn't pay for it if it was that much. Guess what, there is no choice if you want go there.
It is a different matter if they quote one thing say 10l/100km and after buying it you can only get 18l/100km. Thats false advertising, but also apprently the right foot can have alot to do with that lol.

Josh
FollowupID: 727255

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 09:20

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 09:20
Good on you Bush Wanderer by enforcing speculations the 200 series is rubbish.

I suggest like others have go to the Lcool site and have a look, it better coming form the horses mouth and not from people who have a bee in their bonnet.

The internet can be a fantastic place and it can also be a place of junk, false claims and misleading information.

People have very short memories of other vehicles makes over the last 20 years and the problems they had and Toyota isn't alone with it's share of problems.

So if a 200 has so many problems what are you going to buy?.... another brand with more BIGGER problems.

The problems the 200 series has had is few and far between and NO not every single one made is a failure as the internet makes it to be.

AnswerID: 454429

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 13:17

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 13:17
200 rubbish.....was not aware that there was any speculation.

I was more suprised when I read the site. But then again there are always going to be lemons with every manufacturer....some much more than others.

Had a look at LCOOL....these issues seem to be resolved now. I had only heard of the oil consumption issue not the rest.

The first of any model seems to be a work in progress.

Cant get out of the deal now....but after most replies and what I read on LCOOL I have been made to feel comfortable....again. Being the biggest seller must mean something....

Now time to organise the accessories to make it into a tourer.
FollowupID: 727289

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 09:53

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 09:53
The only useful part of that website is the alleged paperwork from Toyota to the dealers saying the pistons had been redesigned in 2009 (along with the other minor fixes). I would have thought there's a fair chance they no longer use oil.

Toyota tend to quietly fix things but don't let anyone else know, otherwise they end up with a heap of owners all wanting their motor replaced because it uses a litre or two of oil.

After buying our VW Tiguan, I found its pretty common for the VW diesels to use oil as well but nobody seems to make a fuss because VW says it's normal for a modern diesel using thin synthetic oil.
AnswerID: 454434

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 10:36

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 10:36
could be a bit more to it

same as a dealer will tell you theve never heard of that problem

if you announce a vehicle had an issue and youve done things to fix it then that could effect the statuary warranty which can remain in effect long after the manafacturers warranty

while stat warranties are not written in stone and sometimes worked out in court

admitting there were issues either directly by way of admission or indirectly by announcing desighn changes had fixed issues

would give the customer a big leg up when making a statuary warranty claim
FollowupID: 727265

Reply By: Member - ken b (QLD) - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 11:29

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 11:29
hi bush wanderer. i have a 2009 vx ttd landcruiser. i also had trouble with it using oil. but at approx 40,000 klms, it slowly stopped. apart from this,it has been a excellent vehicle. i tow a 21ft bushtracker caravan 3.5 tons, the wife and i and our dog have been right around oz. the cruiser performed very well. i have had my services done by toyota agents,all over oz. there was only one lemon in this lot of agents. i must also say i have been into some spots in oz that were very difficult, the cruiser pulled the van out with no trouble. regards. ken b
AnswerID: 454442

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 13:22

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 13:22
Super.

My tow vehicle is currently a VW Touareg, and pulls the 3.5 tonne horse trailer comfortably. Going to retire it from these duties and use it for work only.

200 will become the workhorse and tourer.

VW used no oil during the first 5000....even though it came with a 1 litre bottle.

As I dont have a manual yet for the 200, with towing what do they recommend the number of run in kays before putting heavy weight behind it ?

I like to toyota advantage service deal...so cheap compared to the VW
FollowupID: 727290

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 11:41

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 11:41
Hi B-W,

Out of curiosity how come you are retiring the VW?

Also what does the VW servicing price compare to Toyota?

Thanks,
Ben
FollowupID: 727400

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 12:37

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 12:37
while i dont have a 200 manual i think about 3000km is often the time given for varois vehicles before towing

FollowupID: 727407

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 17:45

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 17:45
ben_gv3

the VW is a nice car.....much nicer ride and interior than the 200.

its been doing all the tow work for the last 3 years with the 7 metre trailer. Its sensational. Cant fault it.

Just like to use it for work only, and let the cruiser have a turn of getting horse crap spread all through the car.

Servicing is not cheap....$550 for the 75K service not too bad, biggest service was $1300.

Tyres not cheap...performance rubber. Pads not cheap...performance pads.

Cruiser is pretty basic when it comes to that stuff.
FollowupID: 727726

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 12:58

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 12:58
I must be unlucky

Replaced vacuum pump
Replaced seat belt
Replaced pistons rings and big end bearings (oil consumption)
Tow Bar pin holes elongated
Knock in the front end
Dust problems
Replaced two rear shocks (oil leak)
Replaced two tail shafts
Replaced or repaired 16 injectors (8 because of fuel contamination problems)
Replaced or repaired 2 injector pumps (1 because of fuel contamination problems)
Replaced fuel lines twice (1 because of fuel contamination problems)
Replaced 2 common rails ( because of fuel contamination problems)
Replaced fuel cooler ( because of fuel contamination problems)

The 200 series has been off the road for repairs a total of 6 months.
AnswerID: 454448

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 13:10

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 13:10
Oh no...that does not sound good.

FollowupID: 727287

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 20:28

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 20:28
Bow and Nan,

That does not sound pleasant. Sorry to hear,

But honestly your experience is well and truly the exception. Even in LCOOL, where members absolutely blast Toyo for the slightest of problem, it does not show any real "issue". Yes some uses oil, the tailshaft made a clunk but it was actually doing what it was designed to do just made a noise in the process, and yes when you use them horses you need to feed them (V8 power on tap!) Hardy defined as "issues"

I have a '07 model, the first off the ship, 3 CY trips, plenty smaller trips, no issues whatsoever.

CJ
AnswerID: 454488

Reply By: Member - Andrew F (VIC) - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 00:23

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 00:23
We have 3 200's where I work.
All love to drink oil, abnormally, but they do make it to the service fine after using heavier weight oil
2 of them have had the injector pump, injectors etc.. all rebuilt due to bad fuel (or rather, toyota's crap fuel filters).
The default shocks are rubbish, even the one not loaded up heavily had them destroyed before 10,000km on the clock.

Thats the total for them now all having >100,000 on them.

fixes they have taken have been
second decent fuel filter with water catch
slightly heavier weight oil
decent shocks
not buy more cruisers.

AnswerID: 454522

Reply By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 10:11

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 10:11
B-W,

I bought an Anniversary special LE in January, and now have just over 6,000 km on it. It used about half a litre of oil before the 1500 km service, at which time it was topped up to the full mark. Now at just over 6000 km the level has dropped about 3 to 4 mm, which I am guessing is around 250 ml. That is about what I would expect of an engine still running in. (It is only now starting to free up)

On a recent trip from Canberra to Sydney and back, which included an hour or so of city driving, it returned a fuel consumption of 10.2 LHK, measured using the same pump.

Towing a 2.7 tonne dirt road van through the mountains between Canberra and Eden and return, it returned a fuel consumption of around 25 LHK, but that was travelling at around 100 kph where possible, with many long steep hills and into strong headwinds both ways. I expect that to drop to around 18 LHK in normal conditions and using a normal amount of right welly.

I am a Land Rover enthusiast, but when I compared all the contenders for use as a caravan tug in remote areas, the LC200 came out on top by a clear margin. Nothing I have seen or experienced so far makes me doubt my decision. It is an outstanding vehicle even if it lacks the special charms of a Land Rover. I don't think you will regret your decision.
AnswerID: 454541

Reply By: BrigalowO - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 17:38

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 17:38
I have just ordered a TTD GXL with KDSS and can't wait, but I know that it could be a long one.

No matter, as this time, (I had ordered and cancelled three years ago for the very same nervous reasons as you are experiencing today) and I firmly believe that Toyota is too big a company to let these things fester without fixing them.

I read far too much negative stuff on the net, and then punished myself with going through the anguish of, "did i do the right thing" etc, and instead, decided to get myself a late model 100 Series.

The 100, which I love, is a great vehicle, but I am going to be selling her with regret, but now its time for an upgrade and as I said, I can't wait.

Robert
AnswerID: 454849

Sponsored Links