Hyundai terracan CRDI problems

Submitted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 15:12
ThreadID: 86381 Views:18198 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have a terracan highlander crdi which had a fuel system meltdown at 92000km, just out of warranty and we had to pay $6000 after the dealer and hyudai refused to fix it under warranty. Mind you 3 months just out with time, not K's and we were not happy as it is apparently a known problem. NOW we are stuck in Broken Hill, having a diesel leak repaired after having it all renewed in January. We could smell diesel for a few days but couldnt see the leak, one dealer checked it and gave us the OK. In Broken Hill another dealer found the leak coming from one of the newly replaced injectors. The original dealer is footing the repair bill but we are stuck here without a car, no hire cars available and possibly for a week. What a farce!!! If anyone else has this problem i would be interested to hear as the fuel economy was fantastic, heaps of power and running very well, just smelly....
also does anyone have an opinion on towing in 5th gear?? Our car handles it, fine, lots of power and grunt but occasionally the temp gauge raises and as soon as i go back to 4th the temp returns to normal. Is this normal??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 15:36

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 15:36
Recently I had a similar issue in another brand diesel - smell of diesel and a little leak but hard to find.

There are little rubber hoses that take excess diesel that are not required for the power setting back from the injectors to the fuel tank. These hoses being near the engine perish after a few years and begin to leak or even break. They just hang off each injector and join together inot one pipe to go back to the tank.

Check them - easy to fix if that is the issue.

Just a thought.

Garry
AnswerID: 454713

Reply By: Racey - Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 17:32

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 17:32
It's a bit rough, they could have made some compromise to pay a share at least.

As far as 5th gear towing goes, the temp gauge tells it all. What yoou can't see is the exhaust gas temp; it would probably scare you. You will probably find it is more fuel efficient towing in 4th except on "down hill" runs. Toyota 200 series has 6 speed box and the manual states to tow in 5th. In my previous Rexton 5 speed auto, I found everything ran very well towing in 4th. In some vehicles the O/D gear is not suitable for heavy loads like towing.

Cheers
Racey
AnswerID: 454724

Reply By: snoopyone - Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 17:54

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 17:54
You have answered your own question.

NEVER tow in 5th

Read thread 86312 for lots of reasons why.

Your engine is lugging in 5th thats why the temperature is rising.
Too much fuel not enough revs = more heat.
AnswerID: 454726

Reply By: Terradan - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 01:06

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 01:06
Hi David R6, the problem is not unique to the Terracan, fuel pump and injector problems are common across all brands of common rail turbo diesel motors. What they have in common is they are all expensive to fix and often have bad fuel as a contributor or cause. I think I recall Hyundai paying part costs if not all for cars just out of warranty if you can show proper servicing. Go to www.terracan.australia4wd.com you will find very helpful people there and a wealth of information. (including smell diesel and can't find leak)

The Terracan tows easily in 5th but the information here is correct, 4th is far safer for your transmission, and can be just as economical, if not more so !

Safe travels

Terradan
AnswerID: 454786

Reply By: David R6 - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 16:02

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 16:02
Thanks guys, i appreciate all your info. Just got the car back and it was the four small fuel return pipes which links all the injectors and the small brass washers/connectors. the dealer who installed them in january has done them up too tight and they have crimped and leaked. there was a pool of diesel under the intercooler which you couldnt see until the cooler was removed. The bloke who fixed this one said that they were so tight he couldnt undo them!! does any hyundai workman know how to use a newton wrench?? Very disillusioned and $200 out of pocket for something i didnt cause or do.
AnswerID: 454837

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 16:09

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 16:09
Picked it in one - actually a good outcome as it could have been much worse. But yes - you would think that "professional" mechanics would be more professional.

Garry
FollowupID: 727719

Sponsored Links