Catch up & Query

Submitted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 16:16
ThreadID: 86404 Views:1858 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all
Sorry about not being able to reply back, bloody internet has been as slow as a tortoise on a marathon. Anyway i was reading a magazine in my local newsagents last week and the people who wrote the story were asking whether holiday go-ers would rather take a caravan on holidays or stay in one of those luxury cabins or villa's. Well i definitely know what i would answer with, the first answer! I wouldn't pay that much money for luxury, and besides, who takes a cabin on holidays around Australia. So, respond back with your thoughts on this issue and i'll do my best to answer.
Thanks everyone, Hooroo for now
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 16:35

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 16:35
I get first bite Phillip. Some of those huge mobile homes and caravans are bigger and more luxurious than cabins. The amount of money poured into some of them is just plain ridiculous in some cases. Never been one trying to keep up with the Joneses or such. Live by the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid! Never have been able to figure out why people use em. I personally believe that camping/travelling is about experiencing life from a different angle. To each his own!
cheers
AnswerID: 454840

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 17:35

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 17:35
Hi Phillip,

to answer the question, whether i would rather "tow a caravan while on holidays" or "stay in a luxury cabin", I am not sufficiently well healed to stay in one of those luxury cabins or apartments.

So I guess I will be sticking with the caravan and doing some free camping. What rotten luck, aye. LOL

I have stayed in cabins, in fact spent 3 weeks doing the Great Ocean Road by staying in cabins but within 4 weeks of returning from that trip we bought our current caravan and 4 weeks later again bought a suitable tug to tow it. Guess I am biased.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 454847

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 17:37

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 17:37
Probably the wrong question to be asking here as the answers would be a forgone conclusion I would think.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 727725

Reply By: Dreadnought - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 18:25

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 18:25
I think it's horses for courses......Some people enjoy having a bit of luxury while they are on holidays and if they can afford it, good luck to them. Other people, some who are even too stingy to buy a magazine from a newsagent but will stand there and read it from front to back, wouldn't spend a cracker anywhere....including caravan and tourist parks, they will end up the richest dead people in the cemetery......and good luck to them also.........
AnswerID: 454854

Reply By: David Jje - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 19:23

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 19:23
Gday Phillip,

I love doing both. We use the caravan for Christmas, Easter and any weekend with free time and love every second of it. We do an overseas trip mid year in five star luxury and love every second of it. In fact when we were doing our 12month around oz trip a few years back in the caravan, we jumped on a plane half way through and went to phuket for 2 weeks. I love all forms of travel and happily do a no star (millions of stars) to five star (no stars).
AnswerID: 454859

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 20:34

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 20:34
"I wouldn't pay that much money for luxury" (luxury cabins or villa's)
You quite possibly already do Phil. Purchase price of vans between $20K & $100K, insurance, rego, maintenance & increased fuel usage. Then consider that you will pay up to 1/3 the price of a cabin anyway for each stay at a powered site.
Vans definately suit those on extended runs or for free camping but what a pain they are to tow, to park, to store at home, to clean. Using cabins means you can buy a small economical car rather than be forced to drive a large tug, not just for your holidays but as a daily drive.
For me cabins are a bit of luxury in between camping in remote desert areas, (places you wont tow your van) allow me to drive for further on transit sections to make the most of my time & are always popular with the wife & kids.
Cheers Craig...............
AnswerID: 454870

Follow Up By: Phillip S - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 15:35

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 15:35
I'm sorry Craig, i was referring to cabins taking away the travelling aspect of camping, and when it comes to money i use it wisely and don't actually spend it on high priced equipment. not trying to disprove you point at all but you do raise a good point my friend.
FollowupID: 727826

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 22:30

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 22:30
Id rather tow my Hilton. My kettle, my plates and cutlery that I have cleaned.
AnswerID: 454883

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 00:58

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 00:58
Your question was 'caravan' or 'luxury cabins'. It's the former for us, we love our caravan, it's all ours, linen, cutlery, plates, cups, towels etc, etc, etc. If I stay in a Motel, Luxury Cabin or any five or four (I wouldn't go beyond four) star accommodation I like to take my own pillow, towels etc anyway. If you have to book into these places you are on a schedule to get there, we don't like schedules!!!!! Now tenting is another matter, we often stay at motels or cabins after a trip outback, but again we have our own linen, plates cups and cutlery on board, it's good to have a break when tenting.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 454897

Reply By: Phillip S - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 15:31

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 15:31
Wow! A lot of people have varied thoughts. Keep em coming..
AnswerID: 454945

Sponsored Links