water ingress

Submitted: Friday, May 20, 2011 at 17:34
ThreadID: 86431 Views:1232 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
82 viscount repair

Hi,I have a 1982 viscount poptop 15' and on my last trip away I noticed biscuit boxes in the front left overhead cupboard were very damp after heavy rain.Did'nt notice till rain stopped so could not see if there were any water drips.Since arriving have poured water to front of van to try to cause leak without success. Does anyone have any photos or detail of the front section of frame(the top cross member of the van itself) across the van where the poptop skirt starts.If I know what it looks like I will be able to possibly determine where the water is coming in.Since I bought the van 2 years ago I constantly check for water ingress whenever it rains,however when at home the poptop is in the down position.Hopefully someone will be able to help.
kman

kman

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roughasguts - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 18:27

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 18:27
The water might be coming in through the stitching in the skirt! with the wind and rain. If so get a wax candle and rub it on the stitching on a warm day.

Cheers
AnswerID: 454958

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 19:00

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 19:00
Hi,do you have a roll out awning? if you do, check the top bar bracket beside the door, when you extend the awning and put a tent rope on the out side corner to stead it, the tension pulls the top bar and bracket slightly off the frame near the l/h top of the door, there may/will not be any frame there and the screws are only into the cladding, this pulls the cladding and breaks the mastic seal under the alloy roof angle, the water lies on the flat bit of roof and seeps in very slowly, it doesn't actually drip, It took my brother and I a long while to find the leak in his poppy, in exactly the same place as yours, l/h top cupboard at the front. We fixed his with a short bit of wider alloy angle stuck on with sika marine, no more probs. Good luck Keith
AnswerID: 454961

Sponsored Links