buying advice

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 16:04
ThreadID: 8644 Views:1504 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I am new here and found this site by chance

its great!!! I am from perth and need some advice regarding which 4wd to choose for my first buy.

I have about 6 grand to spend and so far thinking about a hj60 which from previous posts is widly respected

my concerns are with running cost as i have noticed that engine and gearbox repairs are quite expensive.

so also thinking about a smaller diesel like a hilux or pajero

any advice would be apreciated

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 16:11

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 16:11
Gday rob , tell us what sort of use you envisage, how many people& stuff you will be carrying, what size vehicle you would like etc. as the answers could be from a suzuki sierra to a troopcarrier !! this will help us point you in the right direction. Cheers BradMoo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
AnswerID: 37934

Reply By: Rob newbie - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 17:10

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 17:10
well it would be a daily runner and for a few trips out with a 4wd club which i want to join

also camping 4wd at a few good fishing spots i know of but have never been able to get to

it will be carrying my wife 2 kids (babies) and a whole lot of camping fishing gear etc

but must be capable of going down some quite rough tracks some of these fishing tracks are very hard going

thanks
AnswerID: 37935

Reply By: maverick - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 17:37

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 17:37
60 series cruiser, maybe an 80 (but that will stretch the budget), mq patrol(getting difficult to find a good one), gq patrol/maverick. all will be reasonable to run and repair/fix (bits everywhere). some older pajeros (don't forget the jackaroo) are ok - the 4cyl was better than the early v6. you will hate the day you get the older small diesel in the hilux - your 2 kids will crawl quicker than it ever will. steer away from 2nd hand jap imports unless you can get into a really good one that has been checked, and checked again (you will get inundated with stories of how good they are..). other than that have fun and catch plenty of fish (don't forget the nanny states limits though).
AnswerID: 37937

Reply By: Rob newbie - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 18:32

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 18:32
I think i am leaning towards the HJ60 or a pajero turbo diesel

what are the old pajeros like say about 85 on to about 87

can anyone give any idea on what problems to look out for ??
AnswerID: 37946

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 18:55

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 18:55
Rob,
If you're looking for a club try the 4WD club of WA, North Perth, alternate Thursdays, next Thursday in the next meeting. It's a good club, family orientated, does also cater for the hard core people who have bottomless pockets unlike myself. Worth a look see. I'll be there to introduce you around if you like.Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 27527

Follow Up By: ross - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:49

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:49
Rob I think your choice of a HJ60 is a wise one provided you can get a good one in that price range.If you look long and hard you will find one but it wont happen quick.Most of them are hitting 300k which is not too bad if they have been treated well.
My mate has one and claims he gets around 24mpg and higher sometimes which is excellant for a 2tonne+ vehicle.
If you want someone to look at it I would recommend Les Harvey at Centra 4x4 in Balcatta if thats not to far away.Les has many years of experience in landcruisers and knows them back to front.Good luck with your search and come back and tell us how you got on.
FollowupID: 27546

Follow Up By: Rob newbie - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:52

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:52
Thanks for the advice
I have called les at central and he was most helpfull
agreeing to have a look for me
also gave me some hints so i can rule out any crappy one

thanks again

FollowupID: 27605

Reply By: GOB member vic - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 18:34

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 18:34
howdy rob
maverick i thought that your answer was a very good and unbiased one the only thing i would like to add rob when you think you have found the right truck get some one to loook it over for you maybe someone from the 4b club you want to join but get it checked
steveimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
AnswerID: 37947

Reply By: Steve from Albany - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 21:39

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 21:39
Hi Rob,
If your'e looking for space for camping gear you can't beat a duel cab with a canopy. I've had a Rodeo Duel cab for a few years and it's amazing what you can fit in the back.
Regards Steve.
AnswerID: 37963

Sponsored Links