Wurring Sound from Gearbox

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 19:29
ThreadID: 8647 Views:1558 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All, I have a HJ61 Cruiser with 490K on the clock (had it for 5 years) and it has developed a wurring sound from the gear box. The gear changes are fine and I have tried to see where it may be coming from by putting the transfer case into neutral but it is still there and is at its worst when cold. Got it booked in to the mechanics but want to get some ideas on what it might be and rough cost to fix such things. Could it be the bearings?

Regards

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mickl - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 20:17

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 20:17
Mark,
Have you checked the oil level?
Could be low oil...or... Worn front/rear bearings, chipped or worn gears, excessive layshaft end float... all require the box to be overhauled. 4wd Systems in Adelaide qoute Cruiser gearboxes at $3499 outright or $1499 change over, or overhaul kits for between $500-700 depending on exact box model. Check out there web side for more info.
Mick.
AnswerID: 37955

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 08:05

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 08:05
If it make the noise in neutral with the clutch out and then goes with the clutch in it could be your thrust bearing and if thats the case it shouldnt cost that much. Ive got the same thing with my triton and after having a full clutch kit put in it still makes the same noise wombats tritons have the same noise.
Guy
AnswerID: 37999

Follow Up By: Phil G - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:29

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:29
Guy,

The noise you describe is not your clutch thrust bearing. Its typically the gearbox layshaft bearings or front bearing as these turn when you take your foot off the clutch.

The clutch thrust bearing only makes the noise when you put your foot on the clutch.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 27684

Follow Up By: jonny knowalittlebit - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 09:23

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 09:23
Thanks for the clarification i was only going off advice from the car yard (yeah i know) a mechanic mate my dad and few other people.
Thanks anyway.

Guy
FollowupID: 27685

Reply By: floyd - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:01

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:01
This wirring noise is common in the 1986-1990 75 series troopies and utes. All of mine made that noise a bit. It always started when the engine and box was cold and got better when they warmed up. My vehicles all did it and had under 100,000 kms on the clock. It seemed to get better after they warmed up and eventually it stopped. I live in a fairly cold area in Victoria and I have noticed that during winter a lot of the cruisers around here do it. I always thought that it was oil viscosity problems when it was cold. I never did anything about it and I never had a gearbox failure. No one I know has ever had a gearbox failure around here that I have heard about and most families, farmers and businesses have a landcruiser of some kind.

Your car has done a lot of miles. My box in my 1986 factory Turbo blew the main shaft at 300,000 after many years of towing a heavy fibreglass ski boat. The new box was expensive to rebuild (3400 with clutch and transfer case). If your box is the original it would probably need doing, if it has been done and has less than 250,000 kms, I would not expect that the box needs a major rebuild.
AnswerID: 38259

Follow Up By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 19:18

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 19:18
Hello Floyd, Had the cruiser at the mechanics on the weekend and he thinks that it may be the spindel bearing? or something of that nature. The noise comes and goes and as it would have it, did not make a sound on the weekend. Did it about 3 months ago then disappeared and now has come back. Bit of a Mystery.

Regards

Mark
FollowupID: 27814

Sponsored Links