Toyota Landcruiser Standard 2002 Hzj105r

Submitted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 12:14
ThreadID: 86535 Views:7205 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Greeting all.

I have recently purchased a 2002 LC Standard, with a Denco turbo fitted.

I have recently bought this vehicle exclusively to tow my van, which is a 2011 Crusader La Famiglia Grande, which has a tow ball weight of 180kg, and a weight of 2850kgs.

The car is fitted with a tow bar, bull bar, dual batteries, side steps, winch, rear cargo draweres, roof racks, polair springs, and an air compressor.

My question to anyone who could kindly assist me is, what modifications to the engine should i make to help it tow my van as comfortably as possible. I have contacted numerous chip companies by email in the last week, and none have come back to me. Do i need an intercooler? I am located in the Hills District of Sydney, but anywhere in sydney where i could get anything fitted is ok with me.

I would also like to fit a long range fuel tank. Any suggestions where in sydney as well, would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TTTSA - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 12:42

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 12:42
Intercooler for sure, an EGT guage is really mandatory as well, otherwise you are sure to cause damage to the engine. I have the same vehicle as yours and tow about 1100kg, does that fine but 3000kg would be a different story I reckon. Personally would have tried to get a factory turbo cruiser or petrol/gas.

Peter
AnswerID: 455422

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 12:48

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 12:48
Hi Jason,
Long ranger tanks available from ARB seem ok I have not had a problem with mine.

With a 1HZ motor make sure the boost is under 9psi max or you will blow it up. An intercooler will help, denco in Wagga will be able to help you out with one to suit the turbo.
Hopefully yours has the upgraded shaft in the gearbox or you could strip the spline off it (I think the mod was done from '02 sometime)It will never be a rocket ship. My dad has one with a 1hz, denco turb and glycol to air intercooler, uses 14-22 l/100km (with/without the van) and my petrol eats it alive and only uses 15 l/100km not towing. However dad's is a gxl with mostly the same gear as yours but would be slightly heavier from the factory.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 455424

Reply By: Madfisher - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 13:53

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 13:53
Jason as your motor does not have a computer you can not chip it.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 455432

Follow Up By: Member - Jason N (NSW) - Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 04:19

Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 04:19
Thanks. I am such an amatuer at these things!

Jason
FollowupID: 728390

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 15:04

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 15:04
Hi Jason,

Sounds like a good unit you have there.

Your motor has mechanical injection and therefore cannot be chipped.
Chipping is for electronic injection motors.

When fitting a turbo to these motors, from all that I have read, you must reduce the compression ratio from the 20 + to 1 or keep the boost to a lower level as you have already been advised.

A boost of 7 to 9 psi is recommended unless you reduce the compression ratio to around 18 to 1 as is the case with the factory turbo units. The factory 100 series turbo units also have electronic injection and that is what the after market chips control.

A 3" inch MANDREL BENTt exhaust will help the engine breath better and is one of the best modifications you can do according to everything I have been told and read,
Mandrel bent means a 3 inch exhaust with no restrictions from compressed points at bends such as you get from hydraulic benders.

If you want more from your motor then perhaps a gas over diesel would also be worth considering. I have it and it really makes a difference when towing if set up that way as mine is.

Perhaps a snorkel could be considered as there are some small increases to be had there also but these increases are small and the main benefit is clear air well above the water line when crossing rivers.

An EGT, exhaust gas temperature gauge, is advisable as you have already been advised. Max EGT is 550 degrees C. MAX when towing and climbing. Less is better.

Don't over fuel it or it will send EGT high when pulling.

One final piece of advice is to change the big end bearings now if they have not been done in the last 25,000 kilometres and there after change them every 100,000 kilometres with out fail - now that it is turboed.
I have been told it is about a $500 job and is worth every penny just for the peace of mind.

Good luck with the new vehicle,
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 455438

Follow Up By: Member - Jason N (NSW) - Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 04:22

Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 04:22
Bruce

Thanks for the extensive tips. I will get a snorkel fitted asap, and will also get the big end bearings done. I will also get the egt gauge fitted, and will investigate how i can get the exhaust fitted.

I have now been recommended below "total care 4wd" and will ask him about above.

thanks again

Jason
FollowupID: 728391

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 16:54

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 16:54
i have the same model vehicle with turbo and intercooler fitted also. as has been said already, a 3" mandrel bent exhaust makes a huge difference to the vehicle, my turbo was a waste of time until that was fitted IMHO.
AnswerID: 455446

Reply By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 16:56

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 16:56
Yep...as above. Free up the breathing...Diesels love air and lots of it ....both in and out.
So a non restrictive aircleaner/ intake ...and a large free flowing exhaust. Being a Turbo it will not need much of a muffler.
OH...and block the EGR if it hasnt already been done...makes a huge difference.

HTH.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 455447

Follow Up By: Member - Jason N (NSW) - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 17:05

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 17:05
Keith.

Thanks for the advice. What does "block the EGR" mean. Sorry, im an amatuer. Wish there was somewhere i could go in Sydney and get assistance with this.

Thanks
FollowupID: 728356

Reply By: Member - Jason N (NSW) - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 17:06

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 17:06
Thanks all for your assistance. I very much appreciate the advice.

Jason
AnswerID: 455450

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 18:10

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 18:10
Some info for you so far it seems.

The 105 Landcruiser has an "update" change at October 2002. Slight change to tail lights, new dash centre and guages, and 2 airbags (for standard)...EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) and a change to the fuel pump.

Your 1HZ is as mentioned, a mechanical fuel injection diesel, 12 valves. The 105 is big and heavy, a great offroader, but with the 1HZ, a bit asthmatic if towing anything of some weight.

Fitting a turbo does help, but to match the icreased atmosphere being pushed into the combustion chamber, you have to adjust the fuel pump for more fuel.

If yours is a post 09/2002 model it should have EGR on the motor. The recirculates some of the exhaust gas to assist in reducing the NOX being emmitted, and to greatly increase the carboning, sooting and gunking up of your inlet manifold and inlet valves, even more so if you have put a turbo on the engine.

Disabling is technically illegal, but will stop the gunking up of the inlet system, but disabling will not produce noticeable different power outputs or performance.

Fitting LPG to a diesel is a mixed theory, as technically you are admitting a vapour LPG into the inlet where it would have been occupied by atmosphere and oxygen. Even for the small percentage of LPG being fed, it must theoretically displace some of the oxygen that would have been present. It may also change the flame propagation of the compression ignited diesel.

The 1HZ does not have the big end or main bearing cap issues of the earlier 1HDT engines, so don't let yourself be alarmed by misinformation.

When you turbo a 1HZ and adjust the fuel, it is very sensitive to exhaust gas temperatures, and it should be measured and watched carefully. If you fit a EGT, then have it fitted before the turbo, to better measure the actual combustion exhaust gas temperature as it leaves the motor, not after the turbo which will be some 150 degrees cooler. The turbo will not suffer from any heat you produce in a 1HZ with it still operating.

Seeing as though you are towing near 3 tonne, the best thing I would recommend to make it an economical, safe and powerful tourer and tow vehicle, save your money buying and scewing on add ons like intercoolers, LPG, etc etc, and just get a 1HDFTE engine and H151 manual gearbox swap done. (factory engine from the 78/79 series ute/troopy's)...that Toyota SHOULD HAVE fitted to the 105 series.

There's plenty of such conversions/swaps been done, and information around about it. They are chalk and cheese, a 105 with 1HZ (even with bolt on turbo and fruit) and a 105 with 1HDFTE.....and if your keeping the vehicle, worth the investment.
AnswerID: 455454

Follow Up By: Member - Jason N (NSW) - Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 04:18

Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 04:18
Andrew

Thanks very much for the extensive update.Mine is definitely post september, which is one bit of good news in the doom and gloom.

Thanks again.

Jason
FollowupID: 728389

Follow Up By: Rosscotd105 - Friday, May 27, 2011 at 23:00

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 23:00
Hey Jason,

Andrew has provided some fantastic info for you there.

Don't be put off with your vehicle choice, just take measures to ensure you enjoy it for some time into the future.

That is a fair weight you are looking to drag around with the 1HZ, so be reasonable with expectations and you won't have too many issues!

I have the same vehicle, extensively modified, and have no problems. A lotto win would see a full strip and rebuild with the 1HDFTE and auto, not likely any time soon, so have modified carefully to ensure the longest life possible.

Hope you enjoy your travels,

Ross.
FollowupID: 728560

Reply By: Kimba10 - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 21:44

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 21:44
Hi Jason there is a bloke close to home for you who is absolutely brilliant when it comes to 4wd's and knows his stuff big time. His name is also Jason and runs a shop called Total Care 4wd and is located in Seven Hills. He has done some work for me before also people on here and is a wizard with engineering stuff, he also does all the work on my wifes boss's 200 series cruiser including fitment of long range tank, bars etc. He is extremely friendly and will lead you in the right direction with any questions you may have...............His Details are

Total Care 4WD

2 Artisan Road
Seven Hills NSW 2147
(02) 9838 9779 Regards Steve
AnswerID: 455473

Follow Up By: Member - Jason N (NSW) - Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 04:15

Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 04:15
Steve

Thanks very much for the contact, as he is only 10 minutes from my place. I will certainly go and see him. Based on the comments from above, i may have bought the wrong vehicle for the purpose i want. I really only need it to tow my van, and will not use it any other time. I hope i am able to get it up to a level where it is reliable enough that i can confidently travel with the van. I wish i hadve asked on here for advise PRIOR to buying the vehicle.

Oh well, you live and you learn.

I may have to spend $5000-6000 to modify it for the purpose, and i am ok with that. I just hope i can get it all done with Total Care 4wd as quickly as possible.

Thanks again.

Jason
FollowupID: 728388

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 06:51

Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 06:51
There is nothing wrong with the vehicle you have, just needs a bit of "customisation" to make it better suit your needs.

Wouldn't have mattered what you bought...you would be buying or changing things.

Jason at Totalcare also carries my recommendation.
FollowupID: 728398

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 11:34

Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 11:34
110 % correct Andrew, nothing wrong with the vehicle you have there Jason.
Sounds like very good advice from Kimba 10 also.

Keep your oil changes to 5000 kilometres also as outlined in the owners manual and it will last for years and years if you don't flog its tail off.

Enjoy your new toy Jason, you will love owning and driving it.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 728423

Reply By: Member - Jason N (NSW) - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 18:06

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 18:06
Hi guys

An update.

I went in and saw Jason at Total Care 4WD today. All of you that recommended him, were absolutely spot on. He was absolutely fantastic, and the long and the short of it is, i am changing the enging and gearbox over to the 1HD motor and gearbox, as well as a new heavy duty clutch.

He is also fitting a 180 litre long range fuel tank, snorkel, and he is also going to install a chip into the electronic injection.

Very much looking forward to when he can start, as it takes 30 days to do.

Thanks again to everyone on here who have assisted me.

Jason
AnswerID: 456619

Sponsored Links