GPS question

Submitted: Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 01:59
ThreadID: 8656 Views:1518 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Grandparents brought my young bloke back a present from the US. They did not know much about them and just assumed one size fits all. It is a Garmin Emap but being from US and it only has the US base maps in it.

If I load a Metroguide Australia onto it [I have a legit copy of that for a GPS that I already own] is that going to cause a major problem or will I just end up with the more detailed Australia maps becoming usable and the US map just existing but not having any real effect.

I assume it should work because the GPS itself will still tell me where I am but just does not show the usual base maps that the 176 had on it before I put the AMG on it.

Thanks to whoever it is that steers me in the right direction
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: craig - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:02

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:02
I have a Garmin etrex vista and when I asked garmin about loading maps they told me and I have found this to be correct that my gps has a world map loaded from the factory that cant be changed this includes major boundries and cities (and major roads depending where you bought the gps) eg my was in the Uk and it has all of western europe and africa. When I load a mapsource CD onto it all it dose is delete the marine markers for sailing , but all these can be reloaded at anytime from the garmin website free. not sure if the emap is the same as the vista but hope this helps.
AnswerID: 37996

Reply By: BurnieM - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 07:00

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 07:00
As you have probably discovered, there are 3 different basemaps that Garmin uses in different parts of the world. The US base maps will have an Australian coastline and a few major highways but with significant errors.

You can load the Mapsource WorldMap (which is identical to the base map on an Australian purchased unit) which will give you a more accurate coastline and a few more highways. Personally, I believe that WorldMap is a waste of $200 due to the limited detail that it holds.

Yes, you can load Mapsource Metroguide and this is probably the best choice.
Yes, MGA will be displayed at most zoom levels with the basemap only visible at high zooms.

If you already have MGA then you are allowed to load it on 2 units. You will need to go to Garmins website and generate a second unlock code.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 37997

Reply By: BurnieM - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 07:05

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 07:05
As you have probably discovered, there are 3 different basemaps that Garmin uses in different parts of the world. The US base maps will have an Australian coastline and a few major highways but with significant errors.

You can load the Mapsource WorldMap (which is identical to the base map on an Australian purchased unit) which will give you a more accurate coastline and a few more highways. Personally, I believe that WorldMap is a waste of $200 due to the limited detail that it holds.

Yes, you can load Mapsource Metroguide and this is probably the best choice.
Yes, MGA will be displayed at most zoom levels with the basemap only visible at high zooms.

If you already have MGA then you are allowed to load it on 2 units. You will need to go to Garmins website and generate a second unlock code.

You will need to purchase a memory card for the Emap. I note that Johnny Appleseed seem to have reduced the price on these.

If you have the same maps on the memory card for the GPSmap 176 then you can also swap this card to the other unit.
Note that it will not work if you swap in now.
You need to get an unlock code for the Emap, then reload the maps (so that unlock codes for both units are on the card with the maps) and then you can swap the memory card.

Cheers,
Burnie M
Running Metroguide Australia on a US market GPS V
AnswerID: 37998

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 01:17

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 01:17
Evening Burnie

I have a Garmin E-Map and wish to upload a few things to it, however I have been 'blinded by the science' dished out by so called experts on the NET, and have been wary about having a go at it.

I would like to contact you about this as you seem to have a good handle on it and have it under control.

If you are agreeable to this request , please contact me on

ken_3149@yahoo.com.

Regards

Ken Robinson
FollowupID: 27747

Reply By: Moneypit - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 20:26

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 20:26
Thank you

[But I repeat myself]

DRB
AnswerID: 38057

Sponsored Links