Roswal slideon camper

Submitted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 10:17
ThreadID: 86614 Views:3583 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
We are looking for a slideon camper mainly for shortish fishing trips not around Australia touring and have been quite impressed with the look of the Roswal slideons, and would like to hear your thoughts as to whether another brand might be better for us.
Also we have a single cab Hilux trayback ute what weight limit would you suggest for worry free travelling.
Thanking you,
Grace
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 12:44

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 12:44
Hi Grace,
I've just checked out their website but alas they didn't have any pics of a slideon with a tray or a price for that matter. Don't know what they are asking but I know that my dream would be to have a Travelander, have you looked at those?

Robyn
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 455771

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:43

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:43
We have the travelander and love it. It is camping with a the of luxury of a caravan but all loaded on the back allowing you to go down any goat track.

I would recommend a heavier duty vehicle as it is heavy when you load all the gear and water etc.

Saying that the Roswal slideon looks very heavy as well. Especially since you can stack a lot more gear inside that sort of slide on.

When camping with smaller type campers it is my preference to cook outdoors. I just would find it suffocating to try and cook in such a small enclosed space. I know caravans have enough issues with their smoke alarms going off all the time when cooking.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728710

Follow Up By: Member - DereelGirl - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 16:28

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 16:28
Yeah that's what I liked about the Travelander websit, everything there that you would want to know about. Price and dry weight of 400kg (std) & 670kg for the premium.

Robyn
Dereelgirl

FollowupID: 728726

Follow Up By: Member - DereelGirl - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 16:33

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 16:33
oh and I've just noticed that Serendipity has gone for the "Premium". I can only dream. You lucky thing.

R
Dereelgirl

FollowupID: 728728

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:13

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 13:13
Hi Grace,

I just had a look at the site and their units GREAT. I couldn't see anything for a flat tray model though. I'd hate to see the price of the tub tray slide-ins although they are very comfortable looking units and well equipped.

You can get all the specs from a downloaded PDF at this Toyota Hilux Specs site. It lists the Gross vehicle Mass as 2780kgs and rear axle limit of 1750kgs. It shows a Kerb weight of 1530kgs or thereabouts. A bit hard to assess what’s appropriate without weights of the actual unit you're looking at.

You should always aim to be well below your GVM otherwise your rear may sag and drag. If you're getting close to the GVM, you may be wise to consider a suspension upgrade which will allow you a greater GVM.

Good Luck with it all. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 455774

Reply By: Puma1 - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 17:25

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 17:25
Puma RV have got 3 floor plans for slide ons

http://pumarv.com.au/

I bought a 28.5ft 5th wheeler from them a few months ago (picked it up 4 weeks ago & still not used it yet) and I have seen their slide ons, they look well fitted out and larger inside than out (Tardists).
They (Ann-Marie and Warrick) do both the flat tray and the tub models.
They are located in Wyong NSW (central coast nr Gosford) I noticed the first slide on link does not open the pics when you click on the floor plan but the other 2 do.
Good for a comparison - say G'day from me if you contact them!
Cheers Nigel
AnswerID: 455798

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 21:54

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 21:54
Hi Grace,
I haven't seen the Roswal slideon's in the flesh, my comment would be to carefully research the market and especially watch the weight. There are plenty of well-known brands of slideon's on market that are very heavy and when fully laden (water, food etc) may even exceed your GVM.

On their website they look as if they would'nt travel too well off-road - hard to tell without seeing one in the flesh and getting more details.

I find it a bit strange that the slideon's are not required to have a compliance plate - if they were then many people may have avoided vehicle problems.

Good luck with your deliberations.

Cheers, Geoff
AnswerID: 455834

Follow Up By: Grace W - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 20:37

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 20:37
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions, its all very helpful for us beginner would be slideon owners. We are coming to the conclusion that perhaps weight should be first priority before all the other you beaut features like showers and toilets etc. Then of course we have the pop top or not dilemma - I have been reading quite a bit on the pros and cons on this site but we still havent decided about that yet either!!

Kind Regards,
Grace
FollowupID: 728881

Follow Up By: sewerologist - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 20:31

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 20:31
hi Grace you should check out aussieeagle campers for a quick setup and hassle free camping. I have been using it for a couple of years and they go anyhere and have had no problems
FollowupID: 729569

Sponsored Links