magellan xl gps,no service

Submitted: Monday, May 30, 2011 at 22:57
ThreadID: 86654 Views:2708 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
On a 3 month trip around W.A. when the screen on our Magellan GPS gradually started to fade and eventually would show only a streaky purple/black image.We contacted Next Destination who advised that they had passed the line over to another company who in turn advised they were not in the position to offer any technical support stock or any information regarding the future of the current magellan range.
We then contacted GPSOZ fron whom we originally purchased the unit and they were not in a position to help other than to advise that they believed the problem with our unit had happened before and was terminal.I would suggest that anyone contemplating a Magellan product should be aware of the situation re guarantees and future support.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roger S (WA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 00:51

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 00:51
Hi john y going through the same issues with the lack of support for a Magellan GPS unit finally got some assistance from Octocom Communication Services 08 9353 3366 in Kewdale WA. Unfortunately the Unit has been sent over east for repair. Regards Roger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 455944

Reply By: PeterS - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 09:39

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 09:39
John,

This happened to mine about 3 years ago.The screen has failed and mustbbe replaced. I had this fixed by Next Destination WA for about $450 which included a map upgrade.I guess you have to weigh up if it is worth it.I felt that it was and the unit has been fine since.

regard

peter
AnswerID: 455964

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 09:46

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 09:46
I too had issues with Next Destination and my Magellan XL it turned out to be terminal (sat with them for 4 weeks). I then purchased another one from Ranger Camping. I then went back collected my old one to use for parts and up-dated my card. I then received several emails directing me to pick up my old GPS, I responded to all that I had picked it up. The last email informed me that after several attempts to contact me with no response they destroyed my GPS! As I work down the road from Next Destination I went in and questioned what of mine they had destroyed and showed them the responses to there emails. I did not even get ea response from the person in question and the man that served me just laughed.
AnswerID: 455965

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 13:40

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 13:40
I have 2 Magellan GPS' including an Explorist XL. Great GPS in their day but the woeful support from Next Destination just killed me. I eventually gave up and now use a car PC.

They don't have a clue what is going on with repairs or mapping support. Last time I talked to them they told me Magellan had been acquired and are getting out of this type of GPS to focus on turn left turn right type GPS.

Never ever get a Magellan, or any product distributed by Next Destination, and I used to be a big fan.
AnswerID: 456061

Reply By: River Swaggie - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 18:50

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 18:50
I still believe Magellan have the best mapping around...I'm dreading when my XL hits the skids,hopefully it wont...

Its a damn shame that a Company has been ridden into the dirt for whatever reason..I hope its not there attitude that we need them..It certainly looks like it..
AnswerID: 456083

Sponsored Links