bread

Can anyone tell me a recipe to make just bread? I find that damper goes hard quite quickly and is usually only good when its hot. so i am on the look out for a bread recipe where the bread will keep softish for at least a couple of days.
Oh yeah I'll be doing it in a camp oven.

thanks,
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member-PradoMad - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 05:40

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 05:40
This is a basic recipe:

500gm bread flour (high gluten)
1 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
375ml water

knead for about 12 min. oil a bowl and proof bread while covered in warm place, knock it back, place in camp oven, proof again, then bake it.

I add some cumin seeds or pumpkin seeds, herbs etc....

JS.
AnswerID: 455948

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:51

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:51
Is it OK without sugar to feed the yeast?
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 728932

Reply By: Lee & Eric - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 06:21

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 06:21
A wonderful easy peasy no knead bread is the following... (and its made especially to bake in a camp oven - which I use even when at home)
This bread takes most of 24 hours to make - but it is not difficult and fits into the camp routine even when travelling.
We make this the night before at dinner time then let it rest until 2 1/2 hours before we need it the next day - the actual rising and proving of this bread is not a precise science.
This could be at breakfast - morning tea - lunch - even if you are travelling and you have set up camp the next afternoon.
Then we finish it off ready for hot yummy bread with the meal, for sandwiches the next day and toasted it's divine.
This ends up being a lot like ciabata or artisan bread - chewy, with big yummy holes.
What to do-
The night before you want the bread in a large bowl mix:
3 cups of baking flour
1/4 teaspoon dried yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 5/8 cups of water

Stir until mixed - cover with plastic wrap ( We now mix ours in a 4 litre container and use the lid instead of wrap)
Between 12 and 18 hours later when the dough is covered with bubbles - turn out onto a floured board or sheet - plastic wrap works well - dust with flour and turn it over once - cover with wrap for 15 minutes.
Quickly shape the bread into a round smooth shape - place 'seam side down onto the floured board or sheet- dust the top with flour and cover with wrap - rest for 2 hours.
30 minutes before the end of 'resting time' heat your camp oven. You want some coals underneath but most on top and you are looking for a 'hot' around 230C temp.
When the dough has done resting open the over and gently gather the plastic wrap and dough and turn it over on top of the oven so that the dough plops into it 'seam side' up.
Give the oven a shake to settle the dough - don't worry if it looks a little uneven it will settle out during cooking.
Bake in the hot oven for 45 mins. If doing this in a domestic oven we take the lid off for that last 15 mins to brown and crisp the bread up. In the camp fire just crack the lid a little to let out the steam at the 30 minute mark.

Hope you enjoy this as much as we do. We use this recipe at home most days - it's that good.
Enjoy

Leonie and Eric
AnswerID: 455949

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 06:57

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 06:57
John,

Try the Camp Oven Cooking Site . Some great info and recipes there.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 455950

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 07:20

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 07:20
Hi John,

Make it easy on yourself mate.
I buy a premixed packet of bread mix. Everything is in the right quantities for a great loaf of bread, just add the right amount of water.
I use Lauke Bread Mix - Crusty White and the instructions for mixing it are on the package.
Lauke bread mix is available in two sizes. A 2.4kg box (makes four loaves) or my favourite, a 600g soft pack. Available in most supermarkets, especially Woolies.

As above, mix together and knead for 10 mins and leave in the bowl to prove.
I place a tea towel over the bowl and stick in the car (on the dash is a good spot) until the dough has doubled in size. (around two hours or so)
Punch down again and transfer to a bread tin and again wait until the dough has risen.
Place in a preheated camp oven and cook for around twenty minutes.
When ready the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped with your knuckles.
Make sure you don't have too much heat underneath.

I have not made damper since trying the bread this way.
The crust is crunchy when fresh and crisps up again if you have it for toast the next morning. Our bread rarely lasts more than 24 hours or so because it is just so tasty.

Happy baking John.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 455952

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:57

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:57
That's how I have been doing it too Bill.
A good place to put it to rise is on top of the warm engine especially if making it during the evening. Put it in the camp oven with a tea towel over the top and gently lower the bonnet on to it.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 728914

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 11:41

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 11:41
Another vote here for the Lauke premix. Simple, easy, tasty.

Fred
FollowupID: 728941

Follow Up By: Member Ray M (QLD) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 12:28

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 12:28
Lauke for me too, but another trick I was told by a couple who live on a yacht and spend a lot of time at sea is to crush a vitamin C tablet into the mix and it helps keep the bread fresher for longer
Hmmm can smell that fresh baked bread now, yummy
Cheers Ray
FollowupID: 728950

Reply By: Member - Desert Storm (QLD) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 07:44

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 07:44
hey thank you all for your tips. much appreciated, and i will try them all.

thanks,
John
AnswerID: 455955

Follow Up By: oz doc - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:27

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:27
Hi DS, just another tip, when you finnish making your dough, cut it into 6 even pieces and rolle them into balls. place 5 balls in a circle around the perimeter of the camp oven and the 6th one in the centre. When finished proving they should all be joining one another.Then cook as normal. The finished loaf turns out lighter when I do this and is in 6 sections ready to easily pull apart into serving sizes. Give it a try. Cheers, doc.
FollowupID: 728912

Reply By: Member - Meggs - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:53

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:53
Use the pre mixed stuff as it is much easier. I gave baking fresh bread away and just use sliced bread as sliced bread last a couple of day but fresh baked bread is devoured in one sitting.
AnswerID: 455961

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:34

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:34
Premix flours
Try this site.
I have been using thier product with exceptional results for a long time.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 455972

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 11:33

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 11:33
Thanks for that Pinko. I have been using Laucke premix but was not aware of their camping instructions. In fact we bake each day at home using Laucke premix.

Especially liked their "One to two glasses of cordial will need to be consumed to help you knead the dough." Sage advice.

Many bread recipes (but not the Laucke one referred to here) insist that the flour or premix be weighed, not volume measured. There is sometimes vague reference to humidity or flour moisture content. This is a hassle so I set out to find a means of reliable volume measurement. I found that the offending variable was the aeration of the flour varying and this could be overcome by lightly compressing the flour into the measuring cup with the flat of the hand. Of course recipes nominating cup quantities need to be adjusted to suit the increased quantity now held in the cup. Using this method I produce consistent results every time.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 728938

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 14:39

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 14:39
Hi Al
With me being a baker in my past life the wonderful feeling of playing with dough and cakes still remains.
The easter bun recipe made into full size loaves with added fresh spices. sliced, toasted and spread with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
I made a fruit loaf at Durba Springs on the CSR and baked it in one of those foldup cube shape ovens that Coleman make, indeed I had to fight of the neighbours 200 metres away.
I use a kenwood mixer at home and it takes about ten minutes to develop a good dough and keeping quality is good also.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 728964

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 14:59

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 14:59
Yes Pinko, I do understand what you mean about "playing with dough". My father was a Master Baker and I came within about an hour of being born in a bakehouse, so its probably in my blood.

I wonder if some of the additives in the pre-mix products to produce an "easier" loaf has a negative effect on keeping quality.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 728965

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:56

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:56
Hi John

To prevent bread going stale, add a couple of spoons of vegetable oil as part of the liquid measurement. I don't as, with my family, the rolls i make each day don't last that long!

I purchase Allied bread mix in 12.5 kg bags as this is what my grocery store stocks (around $22).

My bread: Breadmaking on the road

The best camp oven bread we have had was shared by campers which the lady had done to perfection in a camp oven over coals. She had added bacon chips and an egg, and made an absolutely delicious cob loaf. Served straight from the pot, none of that survived until the next day.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 455976

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 11:53

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 11:53
Thanks Motherhen, I'll try some oil to extend freshness. Whilst the Laucke Crusty White is fabulous fresh out of the breadmaker it stales somewhat by next day although is OK for toast. Wholemeal seems to last longer.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 728944

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 12:02

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 12:02
Oil or butter works - depending on dietary needs. In Bali, we were buying sweet potato bread which was moist an yummy. I tried it by adding a boiled and mashed sweet potato to the bread mix, reducing flour and water accordingly (a guess on amounts but it worked). Not quite the same as the fine textured bought bread, but still a nice variation.

As i avoid adding fats and oils unless needed, I just freeze and left over rolls or slice the bread and freeze.

Left over rolls are great toasted, or browned in the pan with bacon at breakfast time (ugh - fat again - but our Sunday special).

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 728945

Reply By: Member - Carlin - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 12:48

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 12:48
This is such a coincidence this question has been asked! We are off to CSR on Thursday from QLD and I have practised the lauke bread mix in the camp oven at home. I seem to burn the top. I have heard wood is scarce on CSR so I am taking a bag of heat beads purely for my bread making. Has anyone used beads for bread making? I had 12 on the bottom and 16 on top. Should I change it? So Lauke bread I kneaded, proofed, banged it down, proofed in tin then baked for 30mins. does that sound correct?
AnswerID: 455984

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 13:12

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 13:12
Hi Carlin, It seems very easy to have too much heat and so burn the loaf. A good technique is to dig a hole next to the campfire just big enough for the oven, place some coals (about 5cm deep) into the hole and a few on top of the oven. Do not overdo the top coals as remember that heat is already rising from the bottom coals.
The top coals are only to brown the top of the loaf.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 728956

Follow Up By: Member - Meggs - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 13:34

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 13:34
My first attempt at bread making was at Bathurst Bay. While the rest of the group was out fishing I decided to make some bread for lunch. It was my first attempt at using the Bedourie and I didn't turn it on the coals as some of them were a bit hot. When I took the lid off the side was completely burnt black so I put that on the table and made another loaf which was perfect.

When they came back from fishing one asked what the black thing was and I said I was going the throw it away so they got out the bread knife hacked off the black bit and ate the rest and said it was great.

So even burnt fresh bread gets eaten.
FollowupID: 728958

Follow Up By: Member - Carlin - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 16:50

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 16:50
This is an ongoing argument I am having with hubby. He thinks there should be more heat beads on the top and I think there should be more heat from the bottom. ideas?
FollowupID: 728980

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 16:57

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 16:57
Ideas Carlin? Yes, experiment. But change just one thing at a time.

Is the loaf cooking? If not, more heat.
If it is burnt on the bottom. Less bottom heat.
Burnt on the top? Less top heat.
Not brown on top? More top heat.
Simple. Well, it sounds simple.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 728982

Sponsored Links