Toyota X9 winch

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 11:33
ThreadID: 86704 Views:3415 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there
Our barely used, 10 year old, X9 winch appears to have a burnt out motor. We were hoping to have it rewound but can't find anyone in the ACT or thereabouts to do the job. Would love to hear from someone who knows where it could be done - Sydney? Wollongong? Toyota in the ACT can't/don't do it and advise that the only option, if we want a winch, is to replace it.
Thanks.
Megan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:11

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:11
This maybe what you are looking for,
X9 motor

Have a good one
RA.
AnswerID: 456142

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:22

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:22
Megan,
If it's a Warn Winch try ringing your local ARB as they are an agent for Warn.

Cheers Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 456143

Reply By: Time - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:42

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:42
If you are in the ACT go and see Ritchie at Hume Off Road (in Hume), he is also ACT Winch Services. Been going to him for years, he will do a good job at a reasonable price, and unlike most, will listen to what you have to say, and will explain what needs to be done and why.
AnswerID: 456145

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 18:01

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 18:01
+1 for Ritchie...and he will also tell you if it really needs rewinding/replacing. It could simply be that the brushes are 'frozen' onto the armature through corrosion.....I've read a number of cases where this has been the case and the problem is solved by a good service.
FollowupID: 729165

Follow Up By: workhorse - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 18:02

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 18:02
I have just rebuilt my M6000 warn winch and have had fantastic back up and assistance from Warn in the US and Ateco in Sydney. The lady at Ateco, Colleen is knowledgable, practical,nice and efficient.
I've assumed you are wanting to do the rebuild yourself, a very easy straight forward job.
I got the serial number off the winch and emailed Warn US and they provided day of manufacture and all the diagrams, parts lists and advice in rapid turn around time.
Hope this helps.
FollowupID: 729166

Reply By: River Swaggie - Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 04:32

Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 04:32
Hiya Meagan

Have you taken out the winch and pulled it apart or are you assuming ?????

If its had little use i doubt the arimture would be burnt out...Maybe brushes etc etc
AnswerID: 456201

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 09:48

Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 09:48
Hi Megan,
I re-built my X9 about a year ago. If you Google Superwinch you will find the Australian distributer is in NSW. They were brilliant to deal with and sent all the parts I required with no fuss.
I had mine re-built at a Industrial Hydraulic Hoist and Winch workshop in WA it was a lot cheaper than getting it done at a 4WD shop and its all that they do so to speak.
AnswerID: 456233

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 11:59

Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 11:59
Many thanks to all who have replied. We are following up on your advice.
As an explanation, this is the full story:
The winch failed to rewind even though the solenoid could be heard clicking on. We took it to an auto electrician who found a loose connection which was arcing. He replaced the solenoid ($80). With the motor running, he tried to rewind the rope. The winch shorted so badly it stopped the car engine. He advised that I would probably need a winch motor rewind and that he didn't know who to contact except possibly Warn. Thanks again to all who have responded to our request for advice. We will now remove the motor, check it out and follow up. Kevin and Megan
AnswerID: 456250

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 12:34

Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 12:34
Hiya Megan and Kev

It wont hurt to pull it ALL apart and regrease the gearing,clean up etc,make sure you use the recommended grease.Make sure you disconnect battery first etc before removal..

Leave the clutch assembly in the drum alone,put it back wrong and you could have issues as far as it letting go while winching up a hill (not what u want)...

Also the big screws on the side of the motor if they look rusted dont unscrew as you may snap them off because its copper on the otherside (inside armiture area)..

If the motor is rusted try sanding back with wet/dry till shiny again....I think the brushes will be seized thats where the issue's mainly come from,and its common for people to say its the solenoid....They rust back so hardly contacting the motor,therefore no power or minimal.

Once done spray lananol inside the motor area (it will not hurt electrics it will preserve them and then reseal,i resealed my Warn 9.5 XP right up the motor end as its poor design regarding letting in water failed me everytime but now it works everytime like how i should hav bought it......

I looked around for manuals for ya i hope this is it..

superwinch/x9manual

Goodluck

FollowupID: 729277

Sponsored Links