Climbing Ayers Rock

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 19:36
ThreadID: 86757 Views:6115 Replies:12 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Few questions 'bout Ayers Rock, going there in few weeks...When & where is the best to climb the Rock & how long up & down.....best camp site at Yulara for camper trailer....when & where for sunrise & sunset....appreciate any info from ExOz members.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 19:56

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 19:56
Check out
Climb or
Parks
There is a morning and evening viewing site for the rock. Both are good, but the evening one is nice to set up and take in some drinks and nibbles. If you have a platform on your wagon, all the better.
Also there is a magiv viewing spot out towards the Olgas, where you can view both the sun-up over Uluru and on the Olgas. Leave early for this one, and this time of year, take a thermos and beanie and gloves.
Gerry

AnswerID: 456382

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 19:57

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 19:57
Sorry, typo - magiv should read magic
FollowupID: 729435

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 20:19

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 20:19
A view from the Olgas lookout:
Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

FollowupID: 729441

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 19:57

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 19:57
Hi Mark

You will find that there is only 1 camp ground at the Yulara Village. It is quite large with a number of small walks that take you to some of the larger dunes that give good views of Ayers Rock.

We have been crazy enough to climb it 5 times and every time we climb it we tell ourselves that will be the last time....well if the locals have their way that will not be very long. The hardest part is to the end of the chain area. The quickest that we have done this section is 20 minutes, and the slowest time of 40 minutes, trying to coax our 3 young boys up the Rock.

Once past the top of the chain, just follow the white dotted line up hill and down dale all the way to the cairn. Do not wear a hat, as it is usually windy up there and we have seen people loose their hats very easy. One thing that you must carry is a few litres of water, as you will not take long to consume it on the walk.

It does not matter how many times that you visit the Rock, you are always blown away be the sheer size of the Rock. There are also a number of good walks to do while there. As for the best time, any time proving that it is not closed for reasons such as, too hot, too windy or too wet.

When we did the climbs, it was pre digital camera, but here are a couple on images to get you in the mood.

Have a great trip and be prepared to lots the Rock blow you away for the very first time that you set eyes on this most special place.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 456383

Follow Up By: dazren - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:41

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:41
Gidday Stephen l these are really great photo'sWell done dazren
FollowupID: 729451

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 22:08

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 22:08
Thanks Dazren
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 729455

Reply By: DOEY- Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 19:58

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 19:58
hi

the climb is only open at the discretion of the national parks staff, dependent on wind, weather and cultural events that may be taking place.
I didnt climb it but i reckon mid arvo would be the best time to do it as the sun is shining directly on the climbing area.
not sure about how long the climb is but it looks steep and difficult.

the campground at yulara is your only option for camping , perfect for camper trailers, there is a free camp just outside yulara townshp, over the dunes from a rest area (its in the camps australia wide book), other than that, curtain springs is fine and free but is quite the distance from the rock but still and easy day trip.

Sunrise and sunset - im guessing the best time for that is when the sun comes up and goes down...........there are designated viewing areas to park and watch both events.

Enjoy
AnswerID: 456385

Follow Up By: blue one - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 20:54

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 20:54
We didn't want to upset the locals by climbing over their sacred place.

No Minja is my wife or I.

It would be kinda like rock climbin over St Mary's in town, could just imagine the media.

HHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So we just walked around the rock.

Same great view from the top of Kings Canyon lookin SW .

Wash aways and jump ups.

Cheers

Steve

FollowupID: 729445

Follow Up By: dazren - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:35

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:35
You know Blueone ??? next time you go to the rock, ask the local indigeous people on their thoughts on climbing the rock, I did and they had no problem, although i suppose if i asked them all !!! i would get a few negatives, howeever if i asked the white people who THINK they know what is best for the local, then they would nearly all tell us Do Not Climb !! I think these people should not interfere with the traditional owners and stop spreading the do-gooder propaganda, because they Think they know wants best, Let them make their own decisions ?? as the do-gooders of the past have done enough damage,
If i was asked not to climb the rock by a Genuine local keeper of the land, then i would not climb it, But if that directive came from a white do-gooder, Tough T--ies

It's the same with Rock Climbing over St Mary's ?? God would not mind !! but the people in the church who Think they know what God wants would have their say
FollowupID: 729449

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 22:19

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 22:19
Well said Dazren
FollowupID: 729457

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 22:41

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 22:41
It's intresting how over time the myth has grown that the top of the rock is sacred & now we should respect that and not climb. Back in the 70's the traditional owners had little if any issue at all with it, as the top of the rock held no special significance simply because there was nothing up there they wanted. No water, no food, no shelter, in fact they couldn't understand why anyone would want to climb it as to them there was no point.
This was re-enforced on a recent remote trip where we were guided by a traditional owner to another giant rock. We asked permission to climb it to which he had no problem. For him the sacred areas were the caves & water holes surrounding the mountain, areas we could only visit with a traditional owner.
While Ayers Rock/Ularu is officially open to be climbed no one should feel any guilt about it. As Daz has aluded to it's more political correctness from do-gooders driving this.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 729458

Follow Up By: blue one - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 08:14

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 08:14
Well everyone's a bit toey about this one. I'm only passing on what a black fella who I met there and Nat Parks said. It was a little homework before I jumped in with both feet as I might have ended up with one in my mouth.

Cheers
FollowupID: 729470

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 11:56

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 11:56
Crackles,
you are dead right. I far as I have ever known the rock itself was never a sacred site, however there were sites at the bottom and around the rock that are sacred. I remember when the anti- climb the rock campaign started and when the above fact was made known, the next claim was that the rubbish and ablutions from the climbers were ending up going down to these sites and that is the reason. It just shows that if you mention something long enough, people will believe it as fact.

Cheers Tony.
FollowupID: 729499

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 12:22

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 12:22
A cursory internet search will quickly put the lie to those opinions.

Climbing Uluru

As far as climbing goes Marksom, I did it twice many years ago. It is physically demanding, MUCH moreso than it looks - no walk in the park even for the young and fit. As you probably know there have been quite a few climber deaths over the years.

FollowupID: 729503

Follow Up By: silkwood - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 12:43

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 12:43
It would be interesting for those who say the traditional owners never cared about climbing the rock to point to some evidence other than anecdotal "I know" or "I remember" comments.

Whether you choose to climb or not to climb the substantiated facts are that since being granted traditional ownership of Uluru the councils and representative bodies have specifically noted their disagreement with people climbing the rock. Furthermore there are numerous representations prior to this time addressing the same issue. In fact part of the original proposal for traditional ownership contains comment by representative elders regarding the inappropriateness of allowing non-initiated people to climb the rock. This is not a fabrication of "white do-gooders".

As for some traditional owners (almost always younger people) not minding, any culture can have individuals who differ from their traditional culture. This in no way negates the opinion of the traditional owners' councils, elders and representative groups. I do not doubt there would be more than a few here who dislike some Anglo Australians supporting Sharia Law in Australia. Does that make their own disagreement invalid?

Would I tell someone not to climb the rock? Absolutely not, not my place, just as it is not my place to say whether you should or not, nor whether the traditional owner's official view of not wanting climbing is valid.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 729506

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:08

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:08
Do they charge youto go into the park to see the rock still if so how much
AnswerID: 456395

Follow Up By: DOEY- Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:12

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:12
if you wish to enter the park, the fee is $25 per person for 3 days, not sure about kids prices.
FollowupID: 729447

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:30

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:30
thank's Doey
FollowupID: 729448

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 08:35

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 08:35
Under 16 free
FollowupID: 729472

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:58

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 21:58
Prices of some things are a bit excesive, a particular souvenir I was interested in was $46.00 at the shop at Ayres Rock, exactly the same souvenir in Alice Springs was $12.00.

I now refer to the place as Rip-Off-Rock.

Nuff said.

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 456397

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 23:06

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 23:06
Hi Marksom

Children under 16 are exempt from the $25 per person three day park pass.

As said, the only choice is camping at Yulara, or travel some distance which is not really cost effective, nor easy for sunrise and sunset viewing. We viewed these from the lookouts within the camp ground.

We choose not to do the climb when we got there having an open mind prior to that but took the walk right around as well as driving the circuit (much further out than most of the walk trail). Sunset and sunrise viewing areas are well signed at the rock.
Reasons for not climbing Uluru

Our Blog:Three Great Central Australian Rocks

The Valley of the Winds at Kata Tjuta is a good one.

Enjoy the trip

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 456401

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 00:09

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 00:09
Regarding climbing the rock, done that a few years ago when I was a lot fitter ;-)
Anyway, if you have trouble getting to the start of the chain walking upright (not crawling) then it may be better to give the idea a miss.
If you suffer from vertigo - ditto.

How long does it take, well, how fit are you? I would allow at least 1/2 hour up to the end of the chain, gives you a few moments to have a breather. To the top its a *long* way further and quite steep with no chicken chain to hang on to.

So you need good footwear, something that has soles that grip well on smooth rock - especially important on the way back down.
BTW, the rock is much smoother near the chain, polished from thousands of shoes. If you are sure footed , as I was back then ;-), then walking up 2-3m to the side of the chain felt a lot securer under feet.

We spent a long time on top and walked almost to the end of the rock, wished we had taken more water and a snack with us, keep that in mind. Don't forget a spare battery for your digital camera, its a bit inconvenient to go and fetch one once you are up there :-)
AnswerID: 456404

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 08:52

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 08:52
MarkSom

Gotta get there first thing in the morning, before Sunrise if possible.
Do your thing with video as the sun comes up, it's spectacular, then get around to the the gate, because if they open the gate for climbing, it is usually just after sunrise, if it is calm.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 456420

Reply By: muffin man - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 09:40

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 09:40
Wind and heat are the two things National Parks are most concerned about in regards to safety.
Arrive early for the best chance to avoid both.
It's a great climb and one not to be missed.
MM
AnswerID: 456426

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 11:29

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 11:29
Uluru
Won't get into the climb or not climb debate, there are at least half a dozen lengthy posts on this over the past 3 years. The ABC were filming a story on it when we were last there 3 years ago.
IF you do climb it.....
It is lucky to be open for climbing 30% of the time, due to safety precautions, so don't set your heart on climbing it, you may be disappointed. Plan your 2-3 days there to be flexible so you can grab the opportunity to climb when offered. It may open opened/ closed numerous times in a day.
What to wear, old runners or walking boots are fine. Just not thongs or leather soles.
My exceptionally fit 11 year old got quite frightened due to the height around the chain area, he froze for a while, where as other two teenagers were fine. So consider your kids. I have seen kids as young as 5-7 up there no problems though.
Make sure you all go to the toilet BEFORE you climb, not at the top. The human waste initially pools in rock pools and it stinks before getting washed off the rock only to foul the water holes at the base.
Yep some water in a backpack is a great idea, along with the cameras etc...

DO take a free (?) guided walk around part of the base with a National Parks ranger/ guide. Find out when the sessions are, and the "interpretive centre" is good.
DO take very warm clothing for the dawn photo shoot, it can be below zero at 630AM, and from Ballina I don't think you'd know what below 20 is?
The full 7km Valley of the Winds tour at The Olgas is magnificent.
Yulura is very expensive, know that before you go and you won't be disappointed. The IGA however was was good value.
If you enjoy a wine or beer at dinner, buy it before you get there. No matter how expensive it looks on the way, that's nothing compared to Yulara.

You will have a great time.
AnswerID: 456428

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 20:19

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 20:19
I was there the other day for about the hundredth time. The base walk is now closed.

I've only ever visited as a tourist and it still awes me every time I see it. For me it really is the heart of the continent I love.

Been up many times although not for a few years. Most irresponsible time was around midnight one night. Awesome. Got to the top and it started to rain heavily. Lucky to get down uninjured.

I used to really love just sitting on the log amongst the trees on the north side. Not any more.

So I've climbed it and walked around it. I guess I'll just have to tell my grand children what it was like.

Bob
AnswerID: 456494

Follow Up By: ozsteve - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 20:53

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 20:53
Bob,
Why is the base walk closed?
Steve O
FollowupID: 729572

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 01:00
Steve
People had been taking photos of sacred areas.
Bob
FollowupID: 729740

Follow Up By: ozsteve - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 06:17

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 06:17
Unbelievable....They don't want you to climb it.. now you can't walk around it..soon it will be offensive to look at it.

What a crock.
FollowupID: 729744

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 14:39

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 14:39
"People had been taking photos of sacred areas."

All of which were clearly signposted witha request not to take photos when we were there last year. We saw one couple taking photos of the sacred areas leaning on the sign. Dumb

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

FollowupID: 729782

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 09:38

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 09:38
the best time to climb it is when you see it is open
as said it gets closed alot so if its open dont wait till the "right" time as you may miss out

I got there and it was closed so walked around the base and when I got back to the start it was open so despite it being late in the day I went up

AnswerID: 456669

Sponsored Links