GQ fitted with 6.5 V8 Turbo

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 15:08
ThreadID: 8678 Views:8201 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, was reading a post and came across a suggestion from one of our regulars about considering fitting a V8 6.5ltr Turbo Diesel in my GQ. Can any member give me their feedback on this as I was considering buying another GQ for around $24,000, but id much rather keep mine as its rust free and just needs a new engine with a turbo fitted. Also if anyone out there has a contac number of someone who does the conversions, as I'd need to know if i can still fit duel abtteries and run a snorkel with this engine.

Regards Angelo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 16:26

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 16:26
Angelo,
go to www.marks4wd.com
They make adaptors for all sorts of conversions (incl. Chev. petrol & diesel V/8s' in Patrols)
Regards, Ed. C.We do not stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing !!!
AnswerID: 38109

Reply By: Tristjo (Brisbane) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 16:31

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 16:31
Angelo,

One of the best places that i have heard of for V8 Chev conversions is Linquip. They are based in Brisbane, but i think they now have a second center near Gympe. Do a search under Linquip in google, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

As for snorkels and dual batteries, minor mods might be needed for the snorkel plumbing to line up, but there sholdnt be any probs with dual batteries. Suprisingly, even though they are such a big motor, there is a fair ammount space left under the bonnet for batteries, compressors and the like.

Let us know how you get on.

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 38110

Reply By: Member - Wayne- Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 16:34

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 16:34
Check out the Brunswick Diesel site. Located in WA they have a lot of experience in doing this conversion.

I have driven a GQ with the 6.5L V8 Diesel fitted by them. It was a manual and could easily have just been left in 4th as it had heaps of torque on the road.

Brusnwick Diesels

or

Check out ChevPower conversions in Maddington WA (Perth Suburb)

Chev Power

I was looking at doing this to my GQ, but ended up with a GU 4.2TD

Good luck

AnswerID: 38111

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 18:34

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 18:34
wouldn't touch Chevpower unless you're talking Petrol Chev is what my sources tell me. Have also been told that Linquip is the better option between them & Brunswick's but Brunswicks have a good reputation also.Allyn
Where to next ?
FollowupID: 27664

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 05:57

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 05:57
Nothing the like the good ol "smokey detroit". Will replace my 1fz with a Tojo 1hz turbo when it sh*ts itself.
Brunswick are good but they have the monopoly. $12,000 to put a chev diesel in and give them my old motor. Think I'll rely on mates rates or my mate's a mechanic rates.
Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 27748

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 17:54

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 17:54
Theres a VERY descriptive thread on Outerlimits4x4 forum on Chev Conversions by the bloke in Qld that does them.

There are lots of + and -, Insurance being one.. Theres heaps of them around in GQ's, if my donk goes poop, its a Chev forsure, but a NEW one, fully rebuilt at least. Either the 6.5 or the 6.2 but depends, as I say they both have good points and bad.

Another one to think of is Imports, like the V8 VH45 (4.5 Nissan) donk, Sandy at Aus4wd in Bayswater has done one of these into mates GQ Shorty.. the think is VERY VERY good.... There is a thread on the GQ list at the moment on them, Kyle was stating $12k for the VH45 conversion Engineered and all I THINK. Chev will be around $15K+

GQ for $24k? Must be HIGHLY modded, low klms, GU's are going for that price now...
AnswerID: 38119

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 18:17

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 18:17
G'day Truckster,
Thanks to all that sent me replies in regards to the V8 conversion.

As to your quiery about the $24,000.00 for a GQ let me tell you what its got and please give me your feed back on what you think. I am not interested in a GU mate, I want to stick with what I know and After 600,000 K's with my 1989 GQ 4.2 D I just think ill try that same achievent again if i purchase this one.

Its a 1994 GQ RX LWB 4.2 Turbo Diesel
turbo timer
1 owner with all documents
Snorkel
Factory bonnet protectors
factory head light protectors
Shower system
Duel batteries
12 months rego
90 ltr water tank mounted under drivers side with plenty of clearance for the type of offroad i do
Nudge bar
2 excellent quality spot lights (1 x pencil)
brand new dessert duellers x 5
new sunrasia rims fitted (original nissan ones come with car)
UHF radio
27Mhz radio usb/lsb/am
storage draws ( professionally fitted with top floor slide for fridge)
7 seater seat has never been used. has been covered and stored when storage draws were fitted....can sell it and get some money back.
rear cage (to stop good hitting me in head in an emergency stop) not sure what its called
140 ltr fuel tank
air locker front
interior is in mint condition
CD player ( after market)
radio cassett player
air con has been updated to new system
side steps
after market fuel filter with clear bowl at bottom
after market oil filter system
most of the above were fitted when car was purchased new, have seen receipts by Nissan.

basically if i buy a GU for that price, id have to spend the extra few thousands to get all the things it already have here ...thats why im considering getting it. PLUS..my 1989 GQ has winch, roof rack, and some other things that will finish the new one off as far as accesories go. So in money terms to me i think its well worth getting.

I respect your opinion Truckster so please tell me what you think.

FollowupID: 27714

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 19:52

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 19:52
With that many accessories its probably worth the $$...
FollowupID: 27721

Reply By: Brett - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 19:27

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 19:27
G'day Angelo,

I've got a GQ tray back with the 6.5 chev. Heaps of power without the Turbo and has been a good reliable motor so far (200,000 km). It was fitted at Brunswick and they have been of great assistance with any questions or help I have required since. Top Blokes I recommend them without a doubt!

Yes you can fit a safari snorkel or have a larger one engineered as the 6.5 likes to breath a lot more than a 4.2 and depending on how you set your battery up there is no problem with dual batteries.

As for fuel economy,,,,,,,,,, well that depends on the driver! If you like to tonk around they’re as good as the 4.2 if not a bit better but if you stick your foot into it really sucks it down. General 4x4 it's about the same as the 4.2 but you really have the power and torque on call when you need it.

Cheers
Thommo
AnswerID: 38128

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 21:33

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 21:33
Hi Angelo, got a 6.5 under the bonnet of my troopy. The only mod I made was to reposition my start battery out of the engine bay to behind the driver's seat because the chevy generates a lot of heat in the engine bay & batteries don't like the heat. One thing you can do is fit a bonnet scoop to get more air into the engine bay to help get rid of the heat. I raised my bonnet about 25mm & this seems to work ok. I got my donk from Brunswick Diesels & haven't had a problem after 80,000km of hard miles. Just got back from a trip to Cape York (some 16,800km) & it never missed a beat. Check to pic on my web set. www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au Cheers.Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 38136

Sponsored Links