travelling with dogs

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 24, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 868 Views:1550 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We will be travelling with our dogs on the Birdsville and Oodnadatta tracks. They are always under control and definately not allowed to roam but we are concerned about baiting(1080) in the area. I know that they are supposed to put up signs but I also know that does not happen in other areas. Does anyone know who I can contact about this?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00
Emma, unfortunately, the outback is strewn with mongrel bred dingoes that have crossed with domestic dogs that "are always in owners control". Baits are laid at random as it is more important to eradicate dogs, than to placate dog owners. Also be warned that dogs are not allowed in desert parks, restrained or not. Sorry to sound a little harsh, but those are the facts. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 2513

Reply By: emma - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. We like to be well informed before we take off especially in regard to our dogs as we have travelled extensively with them. I tell you what though...after the Peter Falconio incident I really feel much safer with them. Emma
AnswerID: 2515

Follow Up By: Colin - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00

My brother and his partner lost their dog to a bait around Plumridge L(east of Kal)and it was never off the leash. It is not a pleasent site seeing a dog dying from a bait. If you take your dog, also take a gun to kill the dog if it takes a bait !!!! Sad but true.
FollowupID: 941

Reply By: Terry Bentley - Friday, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:00
We ran the Birdsville, Strezlechie & Oodnadatta late last year with our two dogs. Had no problem. We stayed at a 'desert park' just out of Innaminka as well, the ranger thought the dogs were sweet. We kept them on leads and did not allow them to eat anything and did not have a problem. Interesting to note that alot of the National Parks up that way do not ban dogs, just keep them on a lead. Stay at Coward springs on the Oodnadatta if you bush camp. Lovely spot.
AnswerID: 2550

Follow Up By: Emma - Friday, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for the info Terry. We love taking our dogs with us but we were a bit worried. We did the Gulf Track last year and , by chance, found out that 1080 was being used just off the main track..no signs to warn travellers or anything..so I suppose you really never know. I suppose being aware ensures you do keep them under strict control. We are going to get muzzles for them to use when we stop for breaks along the track just to be on the safe side.
FollowupID: 949

Reply By: Ruth - Friday, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:00

Dogs are more than welcome at the Birdsville Caravan Park. Plenty of dogs travel the Birdsville track without any problem with 1080.
We have two chocolate labradors (they would eat the hand that feeds them if they could) and we travel all over this area. They are always under control (that is on a lead)and are not allowed to eat other than the food we give them. There are National Parks where you can take dogs under control - but the Simpson Desert is not one of them.Innamincka is a good place.
AnswerID: 2558

Sponsored Links