Lokka Diff Lock.

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 16:32
ThreadID: 8681 Views:5291 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi i'm fairly new to the 4wding game and would like to know something.

I've just bought an 80 series to replace my pajero and i have found that the rear LSD in the crusier is crap. It does a lot of single spinning. Thought i might get the LSD tightened, but then was reading in 4wd monthly about a company called 4wd systems that distribute a diff lock called lokka lock right. This diff lock is an automatic locker that is VERY reasonably priced. ($649) Although i would love an airlocker but simply cannot affored one at this stage. Thought i might put this lokka in the rear and later when i can affored, put an airlocker in the front.

Has anyone used/heared anything about this Lokka? Is it worth buying ETC. any feed back would be good.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 17:44

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 17:44
every Yota LSD is Fubar at 20,000klms. Common.

There are OODLES of threads on Lokkas in the archives, use the search and sus it out.

Personal Preference, Get the LSD Done until you can afford an Air Locker - without doubt THE best...

YMMV
AnswerID: 38118

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 18:15

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 18:15
Steer clear of the loka, they would be good if you put them in a farm truck, but on the road, they wear tyres and brake axle pins to hubs. Get a air loka and enjoy both worlds plus the compresser is handy aswell.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 38122

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 18:32

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 18:32
done 100 000 km's with mine and no problems to write home about. Will replace rear ones with air lockers eventually though.Allyn
Where to next ?
AnswerID: 38123

Reply By: Member - Chris (SA) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 22:06

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 22:06
Mate,

I have LOKKA units installed on my Troopy - front only. They do not affect driving while the hubs are unlocked and are great when locked as they proportionately drive the front end during a turn. Good value for money.

All the ARB/Air Lockka crowd have paid to much so make up your own mind and ignore the partisan output.

BTW 4WD Systems service was great, prompt, economic and of good standard.Chris
<- 1996 Troopy, the best!
AnswerID: 38137

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 00:50

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 00:50
I have a Lokka from the Adelaide boys in the back of my 80 . Its awsom , you can hear it clicking when you go around corners , I forget its there now . You can hagle the $600 to around $500 something , I think alot of people mistake the Adelaide locker to the one available from TJM , and the soft locker from Detroit , I dont like them at all . One thing though , Dont try to fit it yourself , they will say its easy as pie , but it isnt , you will need shims to get the clearence correct , and it will depend on how worn your LSD is , If you take it to a diff expert , he will not look at the instuctions and F**** it up . My advice , take out the center , take to a diff expert , and get him to ring the Boys in Adelaide before he starts. I wouldnt run one in the front , only because I would want to switch it off when i need to steer it around trees . The people who tell you that they broke something with these lokers , usualy dont install them correcly (usually to tight ) . Fit it correctly and you wont damage a thing .Venus Bay
AnswerID: 38149

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (SA) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 12:02

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 12:02
Eric,
The LOKKA is on all the time and only comes into play when your hubs are locked. This is great on a manual hub vehicle - but you're right they would be allways on when using with auto-hubs. FYI, you don't tend to drive into trees with them, the units are designed, and do, so that they provide proportional drive as you go around the corner - not 50/50 constantly. Apart from a tendency to centre on coming out of the corner, there is no difference between mine and yours at the front.Chris
<- 1996 Troopy, the best!
FollowupID: 27694

Follow Up By: Dion - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 17:01

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 17:01
Eric,
TJM no longer market and supply fit Lock-Rights. The salesman I spoke too when looking for a Lock-Right for me new RA Rodeo said Australia not a big enough market for them.

Cheers,

Dion.
FollowupID: 27707

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 18:59

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 18:59
The reason they may not sell them anymore , might be because of what they were charging for them , I think i was quoted over $1000 , Venus Bay
FollowupID: 27717

Follow Up By: Dion - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 19:28

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 19:28
Eric, whatever the reason, and price probably has got something to do with it, they're not selling them.
Question for, given that you are at Venus Bay, if you wanted, say, ARB sourced accessories fitted, like an Air Locker which I have noticed you have fitted to the 80, can Fitzty in Port Augusta fit them, or the agent in Port Lincoln or I think there is one in Whyalla as well, or did you get the work done in Adelaide? It looks like I might go an Air Locker for the front of my RA if ARB will get back to me and say they have them.

Cheers,

Dion.
(location, Quorn)
FollowupID: 27719

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 20:12

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 20:12
I live in Melbourne , purchased it From ARB Richmond , and fitted it myselfVenus Bay
FollowupID: 27723

Follow Up By: Dion - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 23:12

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 23:12
Eric,
oops, I took it you lived over at Venus Bay, west coast of Eyre Peninsula.

Cheers,

Dion.
FollowupID: 27743

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 07:32

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 07:32
Just a thought here... like the Truckster said, why not have the LSD overhauled... and then when you can afford it have an air locker fitted to the front?? A tight LSD will take care of the rear and the air locker, although expensive, gives you manual control over your locker and you won't be fighting the steering wheel...
Like I said... just a thought
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 38236

Sponsored Links