KK Platinum Gullwing

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 14:42
ThreadID: 86815 Views:2642 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We have recently purchased a Kimberley Kamper with the 'Gullwing'. Appreciate ideas & photos on how to pack these areas and secure to prevent movement whilst offroad. Thank you Glenys?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jothefw - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 15:10

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 15:10
Lucky you!

We've got a gullwing too - I'll dig out some photos and see if I can post them on here!

One side is "boys stuff" and then the cooking side is my domain!

Previous owners had main some wooden (plywood) shelves which help divide the space very well and allow for easier access of the lower items. There's a couple of fixture points and then pull through buckle style straps. I've put non slip drawer mat in the pantry cupboards and just make sure I'm the first one to open when we've been on the road for a while as otherwise all the tins end up on the floor occasionally!

Oh - it looks like that I can't upload as I'm not a fully fledged member yet!
AnswerID: 456689

Follow Up By: Glenys J - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 19:06

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 19:06
Thanks for the info - what about the front section - do you find the 'Generator ' shelf strong enough - we have a honda 2kva - how do you secure as even with tiedowns we feel it may move - Also in the front - jerry can holders seem 'average' - any thoughts. We do mainly off road and need everything tied down tight. Appreciate any ideas. PS I'm new to the site so apologise if I don't reply etc properly - pls lets know. Glenys
FollowupID: 729811

Reply By: Member - maccax7 - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 16:49

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 16:49
They are a great unit, hope you enjoy it as much as i have. I got my local aluminium shop to bend up a couple of shelf units on the drivers side and set them in place with Sikaflex Glue. They haven't moved in 2 years. I have room for the PortaPotti in one end and a shelf above for the hoses and cables etc. I made the istake of not making the shelf wide enough to take up the space available. As the door is very wide at the top you can have the shelf protrude past the edge of the seal strip.
Hope this helps.
Brian
Looking forward to every weekend being a looong weekend

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 456700

Follow Up By: Glenys J - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 19:08

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 19:08
Thanks for the info - pls see reply #1 posting - need any thoughts. Thank you Glenys
FollowupID: 729813

Reply By: Member - peter r (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 20:23

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 20:23
hi Glenys J this is Glenys R we have also just purchased a KK and about to pack it for our csr trip and need a few idea's like you .thanks glenys

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 456728

Follow Up By: Glenys J - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 22:07

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 22:07
hi - not too many 'glenys's around - appreciate your feedback should you get replies I don't, appreciate your forwarding -we had an old 1999 KK and were very happy with it's peformformance but decided we wanted a bit of 'luxury' camping - hot water shower etc - we never took our annex away - so need info on where to store - my better half is thinking of getting a canvas bag made up and strapping to the luggage carrier over the 'gullwing'
FollowupID: 729848

Reply By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:17

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:17
Hi Glenys,

We've got (currently for sale) a 2005 Platinum which we have packed pretty well after six years - but it is the older style gullwing.

Much to my wife's horror - we pick up our new 2011 Platinum tomorrow :-)

I say horror as Sarah (wife) has got the whole kitchen storage down pat with everything in its place - she's a bit concerned it will take another 6 years to get everything perfect in a new kamper.....I reckon it's all part of the fun....

We are getting our kamper from Vic Kampers in Dandenong - when we asked about storage etc they suggested a medium sized Rhino roof bag - this fits on top of the gullwing and should store large chairs or canvas etc....Watch this space....

.....so I can't help too much at the moment, but picking up Thursday and going away Friday...might be able to assist you Tuesday!

Regards,

Tim
AnswerID: 456755

Follow Up By: Member - maccax7 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:51

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:51
I don't have, or like, Gennys. I use solar and it works fine. I store the panels in a vinyl, zipped storage bag on the top between the gull wings, and I also have the quick awning in a tie down canvas bag there as well. I believe you can buy the genny bracket and the tie down bag from Kimberley. Then you just have to use tie downs for the Jerrys and the genny. I have also photos of a stone guard I fitted very simply. The last cruiser i had had stone dmage all over the back so i made this and do not have chips at all on my new cruiser.
I am having trouble uploading photos at present. Will try again later.

Good luck
Brian

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 729876

Follow Up By: Glenys J - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 10:26

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 10:26
Hi Tim & Brian

Look forward to your thoughts next week Tim -have a good trip.

Would really like to see your stone guard Brian - we had rear damage on our old L/C and have just been up thru the Pilbara in our new L/C and even with 'Rock Tamers' on the car we got quite a lot of chips

Thank you
Glenys
FollowupID: 729879

Reply By: Member - maccax7 - Friday, Jun 10, 2011 at 15:17

Friday, Jun 10, 2011 at 15:17
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Hi Glenys, here are the photos i promised and also one of the new cover K.K. have available. Almost all the updates that Kimberley have on the new models are able to be retro-fitted to previous models.
By the way i have the ensuite for the 2009 model for sale if you are interested.
Hope you can get yours sorted, just let me konw if i can help further.
Cheers
Brian

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 456981

Sponsored Links