High Beam

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 16:58
ThreadID: 8682 Views:1377 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
On very straight flat roads, like Billabong to Carnarvon, I have trouble knowing when to dip to low beam. Mostly the oncoming traffic is a road train with the driver sitting high above his lights. I certainly don't want to dazzle the oncoming traffic but if I dip as soon as I see lights I will be driving through kangaroo and livestock infested country for up to 10 km on low beam which means slowing to 75kph. If I go into a slight dip and can't see oncoming lights and go back to high beam then it looks like I'm flashing when I come out of the dip.
Apart from getting new eyes, has anyone got any tips for judging the distance to oncoming lights and when to dip ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russell [Pajero] - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 17:24

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 17:24
Just Hold your hi Beams up until the road trains blow their horns or swerve onto your side of the road, then mark that point and dip earlier, you should be okay.

Oherwise do what most of us do and try not to blind the oncoming traffic its in your best interest.

RTA

Russell ;-)

AnswerID: 38116

Reply By: Nav 80 - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 17:27

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 17:27
Yeah, know what you mean, its a hard one to answer. I tend to try and judge the distance in Klm, kill the drive lights and change to low beam when within 3/4 k or if I get flashed before then. I guess its a case of comman sense.
AnswerID: 38117

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 18:07

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 18:07
You can get some of them little Gino spotties that you can mount low down, and then shine them on the road better than Low Beam, but not as good as spotties.

failing that call them on the UHF and mention it to them...
AnswerID: 38120

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 18:55

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 18:55
Out on the Barkly Highway between Three Ways and Camooweal I once drove 100km after seeing the light(s) for the first time before passing the truck. Trucks can normally blind you off the road with their big fella spotties. So when they dip I dip and if it necessitates slowing down I do. In roo infested country as soon as I see one I slow to 80 and dip me lights. If necessary I slow down even more. Haven't hit a roo in quite a while but you never know when a boomer is going to take out the side of your car......

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 38125

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 21:56

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 21:56
Yea I gotta agree with William. I dip when they dip- but I carn't stand when drivers don't use there Hi beam, come around the crn. and they get blinded & complain.

I once along the nullaboor just after the UFO siteing in 1988 I had the same thing happen, lights in the distance that seemed to be staying the same distance away as if they were driving 100kph backwards.Designing a new camper Heaps of choises
FollowupID: 27673

Sponsored Links