trailer conversion

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 16:13
ThreadID: 86839 Views:12193 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all.
i currently have a 7x4 offroad trailer that i am looking at converting into a camper trailer by use of a camper trailer tent. i decided to go this way as i have constant use for a trailer and did not feel a proper camper trailer was the best option for me due to this reason. i would love to hear if anyone else has done the same to their trailer and what tent they used ???
also i am looking at making the tent removable so any thoughts on the mounting process would also be very grateful.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 16:26

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 16:26
Some years back I fitted a camper tent to a standard 6x4 trailer. Used it for many years.

The base was 15mm plywood which sat on the top of the trailer body. It was attached simply with four bolts and wing-nuts. The canvas and tubular frame were custom built and it opened to a bed on the trailer and room space on the ground with a heavy plastic/canvas floor. At home the whole assembly could be slid sideways off the trailer to lean against the garage wall. Just as easy to put it back on.

An alternative to having the canvas custom-made would be to purchase a standard roof-top tent and attach it to the plywood.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 456788

Reply By: Grungle - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 17:34

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 17:34
Go to http://myswag.org/forum/

That is the number 1 resource in Australia for anything to do with Camper trailers.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 456798

Reply By: MarkSom - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 17:45

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 17:45
Hi Dawg, Mark from Ballina, done that very thing bout 4 years ago, had 6x4 trailer for work, no room for extra camper, extra rego,etc. Had 3dogs Byron Bay build top section, dropped on,4 pin bolts, 4 eye rings & suspended on chains in storage shed, wife & I just lifted each corner up.....worked really well, sold it, the top section to a mate who done the same....We travelled more & upgraded to Jayco Dove Outback...hope this helps...ask if any more queries....
AnswerID: 456800

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 19:51

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 19:51
Hi Dawg13,
A couple of years ago we added a tent top to our 7x4 box trailer. We bought the tent of eBay and then fitted it. We hinged it, used struts so underneath was accessible when packing and storing gear.
Have a look here, Our previous Camper.
Now this was a permanent fixing, but I can't see why you could make a frame that the top was hinged to, with struts and then it was fixed to the trailer with bolts or pins in a way that allowed you to, say in a shed, lift it up tad and have it stored on a frame. When you wanted to use it again it would be as simple as placing the trailer under the tent top over the frame and lowering it down, bolting it and your off on your trip.
If you've got the room, why not. Wouldn't take that long to set up.
Oh btw, the height of the trailer is important, I had to add some 230mm in height(gal sheet bent into a C section 230 x 50mm made by a fabrication mob) to get the height for the tent top. It was cheaper than mucking about with spring/suspension heights, beside 230mm was a lot to make up in height.
Hope this helps.
Jon
AnswerID: 456812

Reply By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 20:53

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 20:53
hidawg13
i have been looking into the same thing based on putting a rooftop tent on my 6x4 boxtop trailer
i had in mindattaching hinges one side and with gas truts on the other so i can get easy access to trailer box section i googled the topic and found this has been a regular practise throughout the world and has been done many times
my idea i s to be able to go offroad with itwith my 4x4 or just tow it onrd behind my vw golf diesel and because i have back problems i wouldn't have to climb up and down a ladder as it would be only at the trailer boxtop height making it very easy to get in and out of
i have done quite a bit of research and so far am very impressed by the james baroud rtt
www.jamesbaroud.com.au nsw based
as it has an area on it roof for extra luggage or a spare tyre etc have also looked at auto home simular but much more expensive imho
www.autohome.com.au qld based
they both come in various base length and widths to suit different size boxtop trailers
and then theres howling moon
as well as from south africa- hanibal and also another from south africa as well that i cant remember the name of
cheers barry
AnswerID: 456823

Sponsored Links