stone guard [rubber flap] for my paj

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 19:56
ThreadID: 8684 Views:2466 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
i guys greendog here just after same info on were i can get a stone guard made up and fitted to the back of the paj to protect the back window when pulling the trailer as i have,nt got any mud flaps on the paj . i live in adelaide in the northern suburbs so if any one in adelaide can help me that would be great cheer,s peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 21:03

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 21:03
do you mean one for right across the back of the car???

Any rubber place get the rubber 2 bits of that Square U shaped steel to clamp it together, then bolt the other parts of the U shape to the car... Might have to drill some places though.

Try lookin at your local 4x4 club at other members cars.
AnswerID: 38130

Follow Up By: greendog - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 23:18

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 23:18
thanks truckster for your info mate .i have,.nt had the 4wd long just try,in to make same inprovement,s cheer,s
FollowupID: 27678

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 23:48

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 23:48
Glad to help.

If your only new at 4x4, join a club, the info available is AMAZING..

ANd you learn it the right way too.
FollowupID: 27679

Reply By: Mixo - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 09:40

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 09:40
Reckon you need the stone guard on the trailer - flap on the car only, won't stop the stray stones - only needs one ! We use a good sized guard on the trailer, no flap on the car and don't get any stone damage anywhere. I took my guide from other vehicles observed outback.....and beware some of the trailer makers' stone guards - they obviously don't own, tow or maintain an outback trailer investment.Why I am here looking at this screen ?
AnswerID: 38159

Follow Up By: Barry B - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 16:08

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 16:08
I totally agree. I've heard that the one big mud flap causes a lot more drag out on the highways as well.
All you need is a simple frame angling down with a bit of shade cloth attached. Nothing flash and expensive.
FollowupID: 27706

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:59

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:59
HI Greendog,
The rubber you are after is readily available from Clark Rubber - but from experience we can also attest to the fact that it doesn't work anywhere near as effectively as stone guards (frame with mesh) on the trailer. We travelled around Australia for 2 yrs with our trailer and tried every method there is known to man to stop breaking rear windows and reduce stone damage on the trailer.

We also bought for a couple of bucks from Hardware House (now Bunnings) a sheet of perspex and silicon glued it to the rear window in the 4 corners and a blob in the centre. The window had a slight curve that the perspex couldn't handle so some dust did collect but we fixed this by also applying the silicon glue around the outside edge. Simple to remove after trip and no damage done. Can still see out it (that's if you don't fill your rear (the vehicle's' not yours) most people do so it visibility hardly even matters here). The vehicle at the time was a Troopy with barn doors, but I"m sure you could do the same job on any rear window.ExplorOz
AnswerID: 38324

Sponsored Links