Pinnacle and Pandanus caravan parks, Port Douglas

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 06:59
ThreadID: 86851 Views:3197 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We would appreciate your help. We are meeting up in Cairns with our daughter and son in law and three young children (7, 6 and 4) for two weeks in mid July. We are looking at staying at the Coconut Resort, Cairns for a week and then move north a little. Has anyone stayed at either the Pandanus or Pinnacle caravan parks and can recommend, or make a further recommendation. We then need to leave the caravan in a storage while we travel to Cape York and our family return to NZ. Thanks heaps for your help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nighttrain - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 08:01

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 08:01
Just stayed at the Coconut in Cairns, great place especially with kids and in Port Douglas stayed at the Big 4 Glengarry, another great place, While in Port went up and looked at the Pinnacle as thought might stay there when we got back from Cooktown but no giving it a miss, pass on that place.
AnswerID: 456854

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:46

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:46
I stayed in the Pandanus Caravan Park last year and hope to return in August.

It was clean and tidy. If you can, avoid the side of the park to the south as there is a Backpacker place next door and the parties seem to go all night.

Cheers
DW
AnswerID: 456861

Reply By: landed eagle - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 13:28

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 13:28
Cairns coconut is great, especially with kids.
I stayed at Pandanus in 2009. Clean and tidyish. When we were there it was very hot and very dry so everything was crackly under foot.
If I remember correctly it had a great camp kitchen. Amenities block was ok, as was the pool.
I too would recommend avoiding the Southern boundary if possible because of the backpackers.
AnswerID: 456874

Follow Up By: Kiwibound eventually - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 17:33

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 17:33
We really appreciate your feedback. Certainly Pinnacle is now off our list. We had chosen these two caravan parks based on the proximity to the beach. Does anyone know if the beach near Pandanus Caravan Park is good for swimming and would the children be able to play on the beach safely? How far from the beach is Glengarry Camp? The water and warm weather in the middle of winter will be a draw card for the children! Thank you.
FollowupID: 730018

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 17:59

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 17:59
Beach is about 5mins from the CP. You do have to cross the main drag in PD though. Beach was ok for my crew but they are a bit older. 12 + 14 at the time.
Water was nice and warm ( considering I live in Hobart EVERYWHERE has warmer water) and I think there was a patrolled area up near the main town centre. Need to drive up there with little ones.
If you're looking for something to do, Hartley's crocodile world which is about halfway between PD and Cairns was a good day out for us. We found it more entertaining and educational than Australia Zoo. Considerably cheaper too.
If you go, make sure you dont miss the crocodlie demonstration in the water pool. The bloke is crazy.
Have a look here if you want some pics of the CP and other places around the area.
Site Link
FollowupID: 730024

Reply By: Pradobob - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 17:47

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 17:47
We ended up at Glenngary Big4 just out of town in August last year, because the others were full. Nice park, very clean, well-kept. I don't know what it's like up there this year, as far as tourism goes. May be quieter, but haven't heard much.
There is a huge grassed area out the back of the park where they may let you leave the van.
Have a great trip.
Bob
AnswerID: 456900

Follow Up By: Kiwibound eventually - Friday, Jun 10, 2011 at 06:55

Friday, Jun 10, 2011 at 06:55
Thank you everyone for our assistance. I have now emailed and asked Pandanus where their site is situated before booking. I have also contacted Glengarry about availability and potential storage. I really appreciate your help. We leave Melbourne on the 4th July to commence a trip around Australia planning to take about 12 months. It will be nice to have our family join us for the two weeks in Far North Queensland. We may see you on the road!
FollowupID: 730062

Reply By: JOHN A7 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 04:55

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 04:55
Mate stay at the Glengarry if you prefer Port.It was built by a local farming family during hard times and has outdone itself since.The peace and quiet will beat the ratrace in Port when things hot up.If not then the Mossman van park on the Mossman River another local family run park.Karen,Deb or Barnsey will really look after you there.I live in Mossman so am a bit biased and am a local.
AnswerID: 457124

Follow Up By: Kiwibound eventually - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 09:11

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 09:11
Thank to you all for advice and help. To avoid any risk of excessive noise from the backpackers, and based on good recommendations for Glengarry we have now booked at Glengarry Big 4. The lady was most helpful with our reservations giving us a caravan site and a holiday unit opposite each other. We look forward to our holiday with them. Thanks heaps everyone.
FollowupID: 730269

Sponsored Links