Towing with AU1 with LPG fitted

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 09:48
ThreadID: 86964 Views:1837 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi every one I'm a new member, I have an AU1 fitted with LPG/petrol.
Our first trip away towing an 1.5 t van. Went to Lightning Ridge/Bourke etc...
I had a bit of trouble with my LPG when towing, it could be after 20 k or 50 k but the gas stopped working and I had to swap back over to petrol. But whilst towing on gas the car went great, some times I could tow 180 k no problem but then after 40 k splutter splutter gas die's. Has any our out there had the same problem and fixed it??? I talked to my mechanic who does a lot of towing, it's got him stumped. Can anyone help please. Thanks Graeme
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dede1 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:23

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:23
Hi Graeme

We have the same problem with our falcon towing the van. On gas it "freezes the converter", doesn't happen all the time but fairly regular. We found towing under stress - up hills etc, change over to petrol. On the flats, change back to gas. We haven't been able to fix it.

Dede1
AnswerID: 457366

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:53

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:53
Hi Graeme and Dede,

I have gas on my cruiser and the converter has hot engine water going through it, It gets too hot to rest your arm on and pretty hot to touch, does yours.

This may be your problem. I am no expert, just a user of gas.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 457368

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:01

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:01
Just an after thought, if it is just happening lately then it could be due to the cold temps we are experiencing at the moment.
I know we have trouble with those butane canisters for those small portable gas stoves on these cool mornings so LPG could be having similar problems in your converters.
As I recall there was no water lines on the converter on my EL Falcon but then it has been some time since I had it. So memory might be slipping.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 730504

Reply By: Graeme G1 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:14

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:14
Dedi and Bruce thank you for your reply, at the kidman camp at Bourke we saw a AU1 with gas and my wife asked them if they had trouble towing with gas, well the wife said they b...... well did. They have had the car from new and had gas fitted, they have towed a van since then and have allways had this problem, he has tryed everything he could but to no avail. My mechanic thinks it might be electricial but who knows!!!

I do not think it's the cold as I have towed boats 1 1/2 t and no worries, could it be wind resistance on the van??? or going up hills??? I allways change down a gear for hills so it doesn't matter on the flat or hills in 2,900 km it did it 4 times.

Thanks again Graeme
AnswerID: 457382

Follow Up By: dbish - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:53

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:53
Hi Graeme, All gas converters have hot water circulating through them, check that they are as hot as the engine, if not there may be a restriction. Also there should be a filter somewhere in the gas liquid line, has it ever been changed? these can block up if there is wax in the gas. Just out of curiosity is it a factory fitted gas it will be a Tickford unit if it is. Any other brand is after market even if it was on there when picked up from a dealer as some dealers fitted after market.
FollowupID: 730529

Follow Up By: Graeme G1 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 14:41

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 14:41
Hi dbish, This problem has only happened this time when i was towing the van it has never done it before, but i just spoke to my mechanic and he will check it out and it is an after market gas fitting.
Graeme
FollowupID: 730545

Reply By: Ray - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 13:14

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 13:14
I have a L/cruiser on gas. Mt gas vaporiser is heated with hot water from the engine. If water gets a bit low the vaporiser will not heat up enough to vaporise the LPG. This can cause further problems if there is an airlock in the cooling system or if the vaporiser is high in the engine bay.
AnswerID: 457389

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 16:02

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 16:02
You mean converter..... it is a vaporiser but the correct term is converter and yes they do become blocked and corroded.

FollowupID: 730555

Reply By: Roco1 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 15:47

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 15:47
Hi Graeme. Had same problem with EL Ford. It was an easy fix. If your thermostat is a 2 stage one change it to a 1 stage one. I changed mine out the front of Ford dealer in NSW while towing. It did not ice up while not towing only towing and slowing down. Its because they put the hose on the wrong side of thermostat. Let me know how you overcome it . Regards Roco1
AnswerID: 457406

Follow Up By: Roco1 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 16:01

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 16:01
The hot water hose they connect to is the heater hose. As the car slows down the first stage in thermostat close and does not let any hot water through for heater but leaves main stage open for motor. Take thermostat out and and change to a 1 stage. It worked for me and did not have problem again. Roco1
FollowupID: 730554

Reply By: Graeme G1 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 19:30

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 19:30
Hi Roco, thank you for that info, I'll talk to my mech tommorrow and go from there but I won't be towing till September so I'll have to wait till then to see if it works for me, thanks again
AnswerID: 457438

Sponsored Links